Mouse cursor jumping like crazy

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
The symptom started appearing about two weeks ago. My Logitech cordless mouse's cursor is jumping like crazy. It is like not the mouse cursor chasing subject on my desktop but I am chasing the mouse cursor. When I try to focus the mouse cursor on something the cursor will for example suddenly run all the way to the Windows Start button. It is driving my bananas :(

First I thought it was hardware problem - the mouse was old (like 4-5 year old), then I tried some other mice laying around. The result was the same - jumping mouse cursor.

Then I uninstalled the Logitech mouse driver and tried to use Windows native mouse driver. The same result - jumping mouse cursor.

I am totally lost at the moment. Is it a hardware or software problem? What is wrong with my mouse?

Any hints? Thanks!!!

--
Hardware: Logitech MouseMan Optical

legs11

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I had that same problem, used to drive me crazy. I fixed it very easily by replacing the battery!!

The installed (rechargable) batteries are glued to a clip which holds both of them together and also presses on a micro switch in the body of the mouse, so ease the old batteries out of the clip, clean up any paint that comes away with it, and glue the new batteries with a smear of silicone.

Take care to note the polarity of the old batteries and replace the new ones the same way. Also use the same NiMh rechargables as were used before.

I've been using mine now for 6 months and there are no more problems.

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I stuck the mouse in motherboard's USB host connector on the back of my PC, the problem went away and never came back. I used to use my PC case's front USB connector. That was real cause of the problem.

legs11

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

Well I guess different strokes. I tried that too without success, but whatever works!

G

I can just confirm I have the same problem.
Tried everything - 100% sure its software related (and seems like "win7 core" software problem).
tried all sorts of different mice, uninstalled and reinstalled the mice drivers.
cursor jumps to the nearest window edge as if when you're dragging a window and it tries to stick it to the side of the screen.
really annoying and cant find any solutions.

james_53

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Yes, this is related to Windows Operating system problem. Each time when I install windows patch I experience this issue, and goes away after few weeks. This is annoying. I don't know when Microsoft developers start building a quality product.

geeksmom

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
I'm not a computer savant but I solved my problem by not touching the right click button at all and the jumping stopped.