PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

I am getting the odd BSOD with the error message of
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA so I thought I would look at the memory
dump for any info but the only memory dump file I can find is
MEMORY.DMP in C:/WINDOWS and it's close on 1GB is this normal?

In "start up and recovery" settings I have it set to default which is
64kb memeory dump which should overwrite each time.

Or is this not the file at all and are they the minidump files, which
are basically garbbled hex code which is of no help?

The files which have shown up in the BSOD so far are atapi.sys,
win32k.sys and ntfs.sys

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Are you running WinXP SP2?

Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one? What were you doing when
the error occurred?

By any chance did Automatic Updates install a video driver update this week?
Have you checked your computer manufacturer's website for video driver
updates? Did you recently install a new video card?

Also see http://snipurl.com/epix and (the more recent posts in)
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1031315908
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Sir Elric wrote:
> I am getting the odd BSOD with the error message of
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA so I thought I would look at the memory
> dump for any info but the only memory dump file I can find is
> MEMORY.DMP in C:/WINDOWS and it's close on 1GB is this normal?
>
> In "start up and recovery" settings I have it set to default which is
> 64kb memeory dump which should overwrite each time.
>
> Or is this not the file at all and are they the minidump files, which
> are basically garbbled hex code which is of no help?
>
> The files which have shown up in the BSOD so far are atapi.sys,
> win32k.sys and ntfs.sys
>
> Any info would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Ongoing problem. Intermittent BSOD which happens 95% of the time on
fresh boot up of a fairly newly built system(4 months old) the system:

- P4LG 3.0Ghz
- 1gb(512 x 2) Ddram
- XP-PRO
- 9600SE Radeon vid card
- 80GB Western Digital Disk
- Gigabyte MB GA-8IPE775 Pro
- XION case

I have run memtest and memory is fine, bought a new case, tried a
replacement MB, reinstalled OS few times with minimal programs
installed(Microsoft office, Kaspersky AV, Adobe Photoshop7.0,
AdAware...

I am running out of things to try, any other advice would be most
helpful.
I am leaning toward buying another MB make.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Sir Elric wrote:

> I am getting the odd BSOD with the error message of
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA so I thought I would look at the memory
> dump for any info but the only memory dump file I can find is
> MEMORY.DMP in C:/WINDOWS and it's close on 1GB is this normal?
>
> In "start up and recovery" settings I have it set to default which is
> 64kb memeory dump which should overwrite each time.
>
> Or is this not the file at all and are they the minidump files, which
> are basically garbbled hex code which is of no help?
>
> The files which have shown up in the BSOD so far are atapi.sys,
> win32k.sys and ntfs.sys
>
> Any info would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Also see:

Windows XP SP2 vulnerability - Remote Desktop Assistant
http://msmvps.com/harrywaldron/archive/2005/07/15/57420.aspx

http://security-protocols.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2783 =>
http://www.security-protocols.com/upcoming/xp-sp2-remote.jpg