New Gateway 24 inch monitor

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gateway
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 15, 2007 2:49:08 AM

I called in tonight to gateway to ask a few more questions about there 24 inch. Especially since 2 weeks ago they lowered there price from 679.00 to 579.00 and now 80.00 less of that. So 499.99 for a decent 24 inch. I inquired why the low price and the technician told me they was rolling out a new 24 inch that had 3x hdmi connections etc. I asked what the panel was and she told me was a tn panel, but since this may mean lesser quality I asked her to talk with the lab to get more information which I will update when that happens.

I'm hoping this will be my choice for a 24inch as i have been looking for last couple weeks and not happy with Dell's current issue with there overdrive that is causing ghosting issue that is acknowledged by Dell and hopefully they will get that fix soonish.

This new 24 inch is to be released in the US by the end of the month. Estimated is Oct 20-26.

Will update as I get information or if someone else has heard can post here.

Blewstar

More about : gateway inch monitor

a c 196 C Monitor
October 15, 2007 3:16:23 AM

If the new Gateway 24" monitor is really gonna use a TN panel, then buy the current Gateway24" monitor before there is no more stock.
October 15, 2007 9:05:16 AM

PS I beleive texas instruments own gateway now.
that may change some stuff.
Related resources
October 15, 2007 3:36:30 PM

Here is the link to the new Gateway 24inch fhd2400 Enjoy!

Does look like there using the same panel which is the s-pva. One strong point here is the hdmi connections. Think they learned from Dell the issue with overdrive as it can be disabled. 3 ms (UltraResponse enabled)
5 ms (UltraResponse disabled).

http://www.gateway.com/retail/fhd2400.php

After 3 weeks now of searching looks like this will be the monitor for me.

Blewstar

**CORRECTION** The viewing angle is only 160 degrees not the 178 degrees which tells me this is a TN panel. I spoke with Gateway and they said that there was a change with how the panel was put together to give it a better look. I will buy this and compare it to my fpd2185w using a splitter on video card to see how the 2 screens look. May be awhile as I have a business trip to go on.
October 16, 2007 5:39:16 PM

I purchased this monitor last night and felt like a kid with a new toy. I was online chatting away letting others know what monitor I had and they was jealous. I turned it on adjsuted the brightness. contrast and left the color the way it is for now. The desktop looked purty so decided to launch wow and check out toonville (aka ogrimmar) and see how the colors are.

Colors were very vivid. I really started enjoying this screen. Talked to a few friends and then decided to head out of town to finish a few quest. Went to kitchen to get some munchies and a coke to settle for possible a few hours of grinding.

I have a very very comfortable chair which allows me to lean back some (slouching). At this time the monitor image at top became much like a negative on film -- started from top down depending on my angle. This monitor is said to have 160 degrees horiz. and vert. so this is a huge concern to me. I am very tall, my eyes were set at top of this monitor so I was looking down to center. If I had set this up to view directly at center and tilted the monitor back I would of seen the issue immediately.

Needless to say I sent a email to gateway about it as most of the technicians would not have current information as this is a new product. In it's current state I will not accept this monitor. There was no bleeding I saw on screen. Viewing from left, right, top gave the full 160 degrees, but looking up from bottom is very bad. Maybe 20 degrees if that.

So much for grabbing the newest model. After I hear back from gateway may just get the fpd 2485w and be happy with it.

Blewstar
a c 196 C Monitor
October 17, 2007 12:40:01 AM

blewstar said:

I have a very very comfortable chair which allows me to lean back some (slouching). At this time the monitor image at top became much like a negative on film -- started from top down depending on my angle.

That's one of the reasons why I would not buy a TN panel monitor.

In fact, I just bought a monitor that uses an S-IPS (actually a H-IPS) panel. Just waiting for it to be delivered now. :bounce: 
October 17, 2007 3:50:57 PM

jaguarskx said:
That's one of the reasons why I would not buy a TN panel monitor.

In fact, I just bought a monitor that uses an S-IPS (actually a H-IPS) panel. Just waiting for it to be delivered now. :bounce: 

You got yourself that excellent 26'' Mitsubishi after all mate?
a c 196 C Monitor
October 17, 2007 11:47:33 PM

Yep, I ordered the NEC Mitsubishi 2690WUXi-BK. (a.k.a. NEC LCD2690WUXi-BK)

There was a recent $400+ price drop, plus a $50 mail-in rebate. Kinda hard to resist.
October 18, 2007 3:33:24 PM

Rather splendid purchase. Awaiting for your review now. :) 
October 18, 2007 9:25:24 PM

Hey Jaguarskx,

Possible a link where you saved yourself 400.00 ?? I'm finding my contempt of TN panels is raising how much I'm willing to spend for a s-pva or better panel.

Blewstar
a c 196 C Monitor
October 19, 2007 12:48:34 AM

There was actually a price $400+ price drop on the NEC LCD2690WUXi-BK.

However, even with that price drop it is still an expensive monitor. Before the price drop Newegg.com was selling for $1,575; that was actually one of the lower prices online about 2 weeks ago. They are now selling it for $1,250.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002169

I actually ordered mine from Provantage.com when it was $1,156. They bumped it up slightly to $1,165.

http://www.provantage.com/nec-display-solutions-lcd2690wuxi-bk~7NECL08X.htm

Dell is still selling for the old price of $1,500+:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=A0950281

This monitor is really meant for graphics professionals. I am not one, but I am a videophile and I simply want the best monitor for color accuracy that I can afford. I'm guessing this monitor costs more than you are willing to spend.

------------------------------------------------------

In your situation you may want to consider a reasonably priced 24" monitor that uses a MVA or PVA panel. The following is a list of all 24" LCD monitors sold at Newegg.com:

List of 24" LCD monitors @ Newegg

Many of the less expensive monitors are using the TN panel; similar to the Gateway that you bought. All monitors under $570 as of (Oct 18, 2007) uses TN panels with the exception of the following monitors:

* Westinghouse L2410NM Glossy Black 24" 8ms ---> $380 after a $50 rebate
* DoubleSight DS-240WB Black 24" 6ms ---> $420 after a $100 rebate
* DoubleSight DS-245W Black 24" 6ms ---> $480

I never heard of Doublesight so I'm not sure how reliable their monitors are.

Westinghouse just shouts out to me as "CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP" in more ways than one.

My recommendation is the Planar PX2411w for $580. I currently have a 4+ year old Planar PX191 19" LCD monitor that I am still very pleased with. No problems at all. Back then they simply had the best warranty out there. They actually had 1 dead pixel return policy. If you had to RMA a Planar LCD monitor back to them within the warranty, they would ship out a replacement monitor to you using 2-Day express delivery. You would then return your defective monitor back to Planar using the same packaging and pay no postage whatsoever. Now Planar is simply has a very good warranty policy since they no longer have that 1 dead pixel policy.

Planar PX2411w

Before stepping up to looking at 26" LCD monitors using Si-IPS panels (actually there were only two: Planar PX2611w and the NEC 2690WUXi) I was considering the BenQ FP241W and FP241WZ; they were at the top of my list. Newegg only carries the FP241W. If you are looking for a monitor with lots of different video input connections, either one of these monitors is for you. It is selling for $650 after a $50 mail-in rebate.

BenQ FP241W

I guess by default a lot of people in the 24" LCD market look at the Dell 2407WFP-HC that is currently selling for $670. However, Dell is known for having sales every now and then.

Dell 2407WFP-HC

Lastly there is the NEC 2690WUXi's "little" brother, the 2490WUXi. Unlike all other 24" LCD monitors, this one uses a S-IPS panel and is geared towards the graphics professions. The price reflects this too. At $1,150 it is not for the faint of heart.

NEC 2490WUXi

October 28, 2007 9:26:39 PM

The NEC LCD2690WUXi-BK is not without issue, if you've searched around other forums and user reviews people are RMA ing this thing over and over. I almost bought it as well but after thorough research decided against it, high end monitor should be practically flawless especially for the price.
I have an NEC with a as-ips screen and there is still a bit of shimmer or irritating color shift albeit different than the TN panel type constrast crush, it's still annoying just in a different way.
i'm starting to belive that TN is not all as bad as everyone is making it out to be, i've owend 2 TN panels and 1 as-ips and honestly both have their negatives, all in all i have to say my 19" NEC 90gx2 (a TN panel) is better in many respects to the as-ips. The only negative to it is the vertical viewing angle, and the only positive to the as-ips is the viewing angle.

The 90gx2 is faster, has deeper blacks, produces text clearly, colors are good, no banding in gradients, no input lag.

My 20wmgx2 (as-ips) has good color and is wide screen, it does NOT have good text (blurry, smeared at times), is fast enough and no real ghosting, but not as good as the 90gx2, has borderline unaccaptable input lag in FPS (fine in single player and mmo, but not multi player fps). Banding in gradients which can be calibrated to an acceptable degree albiet still has banding. Shimmer or purple hue on darker black scenes, which the NEC LCD2690WUXi-BK will have also, luckily mine has perfectly uniform backligh, however i've seen a lot of people in forums with pics of horrid backlight on NEC LCD2690WUXi-BK and lastly the HIGH PRICE for what should be a perfect quality monitor, which it is not.

So, that being said,... pay 350 - 500 for a nice TN panel with a crappy verticle viewing angle, but flies in games is good all rounder, or 1000 - 1500 for something with a bit better viewing angle and supposed better color reproduction (which is negligable if you have banded gradients whats the point) same possibility of horrid backlight, less deeper blacks, and likely utilizing overdrive that causes input lag to give them an acceptable response time.

I'm starting to lean towards TN panels really, because the quality is the same if you ask me ( the way things stand now) and it is cheaper,..and since it's becoming the staple of most monitors consumer wise today, i assume they will further enhance the tech so that it is rival to any high end display, which i think it already is really.

Side to Side the 90gx2 against the 20gx2 besides the larger dot pitch the 90 looks the same if not better with deeper blacks.

I'm considering picking up one of the new gateway TN panels and comparing them side to side , if i like it i may sell the as-ips NEC. I did see it at Fry's and it did look damn good, better than everything around it.
a c 196 C Monitor
October 29, 2007 12:59:37 AM

I am already using the NEC LCD2690WUXi.

So far I am pleased with it. There's a little bit of backlight bleeding at the up right hand corner, but it's only noticeable in a dark room, but it is less noticeable than my older LCD monitor. I've have done extensive research before purchasing a new LCD monitor. In fact, I started my research back in December 2006 for a suitable placement for my Planar PX191 (which still works fine).

I've read many reviews about this NEC monitor. Yes, some people have been exchanging the NEC LCD2690WUXi several times and all together given up on it (like ToastyX from Hardforum). I'll admit his standards are probably higher than mine, however from my limited 3 days of usages it seems very good to me with only minor tweaking. I have yet to read the manual about the more advanced options in the OSD.

There is no such thing as PERFECT in my mind. It ranges from crap to exceptional. All technologies have their flaws. For the moment, I rate this monitor as at least very good, but I have yet to watch any movies or play any FPS games, and I have yet to do any serious calibration.

Quote:
I'm starting to lean towards TN panels really, because the quality is the same if you ask me ( the way things stand now) and it is cheaper,..and since it's becoming the staple of most monitors consumer wise today, i assume they will further enhance the tech so that it is rival to any high end display, which i think it already is really.

What you prefer is up to you. I've seen the quality of LCD monitors using TN panels at least up until March 2007 and I can definitely say I am not impressed. I really think more people should be looking at monitors using MVA/PVA panels, but I suppose people are more interested in paying the least amount of money for the biggest LCD monitor they can get regardless about color accuracy and other thing TN panels lack. In the end, this is a consumer driven market and I really don't care what the average consumer wants. I care about what I want.
October 29, 2007 11:09:32 AM

i prefer the best quality possible, however i don't think that any lcd really live up to that right now. I need color accuracy for photoshop ect.. as well as decent gaming ability. The difference between a quality TN and a IPS seems minimal at this point in time, seems viewing angle is the only gripe, there are TN that have good color and are wide gamut now, mva/pva tech i haven't seen anybody raving really, seems alot of people don't like it, i was going for the Eizo for a moment there with pva, was willing to spent over a grand for a supposed top of the line, and don't remember if it was ToastyX as well, or someone else ( i think it was him ) got one and was totaly burnt on the quality of that one as well, dude was picky as they come, i suppose i'm pretty much the same.

What i mean is just that spending a dumpload of cash for a display that is supposed to be the best of the best only it really doesn't live up to it, might as well get something cheaper. Still not gonna be perfect but at least you don't feel like you got boned.
This is for the average user, and in regards to people responding to post where people are asking "what kind of lcd should i get" should not rule out a display based on it being TN tech alone.

Anyway, yeah im burnt on the whole process of finding the holy grail of LCD, but i'm glad you like your new display for sure,..it's hard to find just what suits you, at least it has been for me.
a c 196 C Monitor
October 29, 2007 5:17:16 PM

Probot said:
What i mean is just that spending a dumpload of cash for a display that is supposed to be the best of the best only it really doesn't live up to it, might as well get something cheaper. Still not gonna be perfect but at least you don't feel like you got boned.
This is for the average user, and in regards to people responding to post where people are asking "what kind of lcd should i get" should not rule out a display based on it being TN tech alone.

Well, I don't consider the NEC LCD 2690WUXi to be the best of the best, that's probably reserved for Eizo.

As for TN, I suppose it would be nice if they were really 8-bit panels instead of 6-bit + 2-bit dithering.
!