Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Microsoft Antispyware Not working

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:59:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

Just upgraded to the new beta version of Microsoft Antispyware that was
released in June 2005. It keeps downloading and installing the same
definitions, and reports that the new definitions are installed. When I
click on updates, it does the same over and over again. I don't believe the
new definitions are actually being installed. Is anybody else having the
same problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the MS Antispyware software and
the same problem remains. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hans Crump
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:14:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I had the same problem as have many others. There is a workaround to
correct it.
On the MS AntiSpyware page click on help and click on forums. The
workaround is all over that area.

--
RJMoser
Associate Expert
Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
"Hans Crump" <h.crump-wiesner@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:%23k3geDOiFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Just upgraded to the new beta version of Microsoft Antispyware that was
> released in June 2005. It keeps downloading and installing the same
> definitions, and reports that the new definitions are installed. When I
> click on updates, it does the same over and over again. I don't believe
> the new definitions are actually being installed. Is anybody else having
> the same problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the MS Antispyware
> software and the same problem remains. Any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks
>
> Hans Crump
>
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:14:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.

Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the Microsoft Windows
AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further queries to:

Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Hans Crump wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just upgraded to the new beta version of Microsoft Antispyware that was
> released in June 2005. It keeps downloading and installing the same
> definitions, and reports that the new definitions are installed. When I
> click on updates, it does the same over and over again. I don't believe
> the new definitions are actually being installed. Is anybody else having
> the same problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the MS Antispyware
> software and the same problem remains. Any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks
> Hans Crump
Related resources
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:14:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.
>
> Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further
> queries to:
>
> Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
> spyware&sLCID=us

What's the Usenet NG name for this, or is it only available via
a web browser?

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:39:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible via NNTP. See
the page I cited for instructions on accessing the group in your newsreader
via the MS Private newsserver, ATM.

Again, the page is
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

All Things Mopar wrote:
> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
> consideration of other readers...
>
> > This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.
> >
> > Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the
> > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further
> > queries to:
> >
> > Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
> > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
> > spyware&sLCID=us
>
> What's the Usenet NG name for this, or is it only available via
> a web browser?
July 15, 2005 2:50:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:%23vwzxZOiFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible via NNTP. See
> the page I cited for instructions on accessing the group in your
> newsreader via the MS Private newsserver, ATM.
>
> Again, the page is
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>
> All Things Mopar wrote:
>> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
>> consideration of other readers...
>>
>>> This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.
>>>
>>> Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the
>>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further
>>> queries to:
>>>
>>> Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
>>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>>> spyware&sLCID=us
>>
>> What's the Usenet NG name for this, or is it only available via
>> a web browser?

Heck, I'll give 'em my standard cut and paste ;) 

<quote>
For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the
Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta:


Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
is being provided through the following Microsoft
newsgroups:
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
location:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...

To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following information
for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
- NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
- Account name: privatenews\spyware
- Password: spyware

NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link
</quote>

*chuckles* for the people who don't click links :D 

Galen
--

"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
without them."

Sherlock Holmes
July 15, 2005 5:21:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Could you ask Sherlock if I am one of them, Galen (depending on the moon
phase)?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23FxeCgOiFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23vwzxZOiFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
>> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible via NNTP. See
>> the page I cited for instructions on accessing the group in your
>> newsreader via the MS Private newsserver, ATM.
>>
>> Again, the page is
>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>>
>> All Things Mopar wrote:
>>> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
>>> consideration of other readers...
>>>
>>>> This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.
>>>>
>>>> Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the
>>>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further
>>>> queries to:
>>>>
>>>> Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
>>>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>>>> spyware&sLCID=us
>>>
>>> What's the Usenet NG name for this, or is it only available via
>>> a web browser?
>
> Heck, I'll give 'em my standard cut and paste ;) 
>
> <quote>
> For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the
> Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta:
>
>
> Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
>
> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
> AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
> newsgroups:
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.
>
> To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
> location:
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware
>
> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link
> </quote>
>
> *chuckles* for the people who don't click links :D 
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:36:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
> via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
> accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
> newsserver, ATM.
>
> Again, the page is
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
> spyware&sLCID=us

Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
July 15, 2005 12:36:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

All Things Mopar wrote:

> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
> consideration of other readers...
>
>> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
>> via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
>> accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
>> newsserver, ATM.
>>
>> Again, the page is
>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>> spyware&sLCID=us
>
> Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
> GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.
>
You don't need to use GigaNews for any of the Microsoft newsgroups. I
have Comcast which uses GigaNews and I don't. You want to set up a new
server, using the server information as follows:

NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
Account name: privatenews\spyware
Password: spyware

Then you can fetch the descriptions of the newsgroups and subscribe to
the ones you want.

The public MS newsgroups' server is msnews.microsoft.com and does not
need an account name or password.

You can have multiple newsservers set up in a newsreader. I have three
of them in this one and I know OE can do that.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:44:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On this date, Galen extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
>
> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft
> Windows AntiSpyware is being provided through the following
> Microsoft newsgroups:
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.
>
> To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the
> following location:
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
> spyware&sLCID=us
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the
> following information for your NNTP client (such as
> Microsoft Outlook Express):
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware

That explains it, these NGs are on M$'s private server, not
Usenet. Thanks.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:06:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:o 3wahYUiFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> All Things Mopar wrote:
>
>> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
>> consideration of other readers...
>>
>>> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
>>> via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
>>> accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
>>> newsserver, ATM.
>>>
>>> Again, the page is
>>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>>> spyware&sLCID=us
>>
>> Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
>> GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.
>>
> You don't need to use GigaNews for any of the Microsoft newsgroups. I
> have Comcast which uses GigaNews and I don't. You want to set up a new
> server, using the server information as follows:
>
> NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> Account name: privatenews\spyware
> Password: spyware
>
> Then you can fetch the descriptions of the newsgroups and subscribe to
> the ones you want.
>
> The public MS newsgroups' server is msnews.microsoft.com and does not
> need an account name or password.
>
> You can have multiple newsservers set up in a newsreader. I have three
> of them in this one and I know OE can do that.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

All you have to do is delete your current version of Microsoft AntiSpyware
then delete "gcUnCompressed.dll" which is located in Windows system32 (use
your search program). Download a fresh copy of Microsoft AntiSpyware and
there you go!!
July 15, 2005 10:05:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:o uY58VQiFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:


> Could you ask Sherlock if I am one of them, Galen (depending on the
> moon phase)?

Your sanity has never been in question. Just the opposite. We know all about
your lack of sanity already. We all already know that you're insane. With or
without the cycle of the moon you've got to be insane to do all that you do.

Galen
--

"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:44:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What Malke said.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

"All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote in message
news:Xns969461B97D0ECReplyToken@216.196.97.136...
> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
> consideration of other readers...
>
>> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
>> via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
>> accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
>> newsserver, ATM.
>>
>> Again, the page is
>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>> spyware&sLCID=us
>
> Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
> GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry
July 18, 2005 6:03:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

<LOL> In a semi-private thought, this is a compliment. Thank you! :o )

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o TvhElYiFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:o uY58VQiFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:
>
>
>> Could you ask Sherlock if I am one of them, Galen (depending on the
>> moon phase)?
>
> Your sanity has never been in question. Just the opposite. We know all
> about your lack of sanity already. We all already know that you're insane.
> With or without the cycle of the moon you've got to be insane to do all
> that you do.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>
!