Microsoft Antispyware Not working

Hi,

Just upgraded to the new beta version of Microsoft Antispyware that was
released in June 2005. It keeps downloading and installing the same
definitions, and reports that the new definitions are installed. When I
click on updates, it does the same over and over again. I don't believe the
new definitions are actually being installed. Is anybody else having the
same problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the MS Antispyware software and
the same problem remains. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hans Crump
13 answers Last reply
More about microsoft antispyware working

    I had the same problem as have many others. There is a workaround to
    correct it.
    On the MS AntiSpyware page click on help and click on forums. The
    workaround is all over that area.

    --
    RJMoser
    Associate Expert
    "Hans Crump" <h.crump-wiesner@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just upgraded to the new beta version of Microsoft Antispyware that was
    > released in June 2005. It keeps downloading and installing the same
    > definitions, and reports that the new definitions are installed. When I
    > click on updates, it does the same over and over again. I don't believe
    > the new definitions are actually being installed. Is anybody else having
    > the same problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the MS Antispyware
    > software and the same problem remains. Any feedback would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks
    >
    > Hans Crump

    This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.

    Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the Microsoft Windows
    AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further queries to:

    Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Hans Crump wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just upgraded to the new beta version of Microsoft Antispyware that was
    > released in June 2005. It keeps downloading and installing the same
    > definitions, and reports that the new definitions are installed. When I
    > click on updates, it does the same over and over again. I don't believe
    > the new definitions are actually being installed. Is anybody else having
    > the same problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the MS Antispyware
    > software and the same problem remains. Any feedback would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks
    > Hans Crump

    On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.
    >
    > Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further
    > queries to:
    >
    > Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=
    > spyware&sLCID=us

    What's the Usenet NG name for this, or is it only available via
    a web browser?

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible via NNTP. See
    the page I cited for instructions on accessing the group in your newsreader
    via the MS Private newsserver, ATM.

    Again, the page is

    In news:%23vwzxZOiFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> had this to say:

    > Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible via NNTP. See
    > the page I cited for instructions on accessing the group in your
    > newsreader via the MS Private newsserver, ATM.
    >
    > Again, the page is
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >
    > All Things Mopar wrote:
    >> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
    >> consideration of other readers...
    >>
    >>> This is a known issue with Build 614, Hans.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the
    >>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta. Please post further
    >>> queries to:
    >>>
    >>> Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
    >>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=
    >>> spyware&sLCID=us
    >>
    >> What's the Usenet NG name for this, or is it only available via
    >> a web browser?

    Heck, I'll give 'em my standard cut and paste ;)

    <quote>
    For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta:

    Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

    At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    is being provided through the following Microsoft
    newsgroups:
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

    To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
    location:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following information
    for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
    - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    - Password: spyware

    NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link
    </quote>

    *chuckles* for the people who don't click links :D

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Could you ask Sherlock if I am one of them, Galen (depending on the moon
    phase)?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > In news:%23vwzxZOiFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> had this to say:

    >> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible via NNTP. See
    >> the page I cited for instructions on accessing the group in your
    >> newsreader via the MS Private newsserver, ATM.
    >>
    >> Again, the page is
    >> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >>
    >> All Things Mopar wrote:
    >>> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
    >>> consideration of other readers...

    >>> What's the Usenet NG name for this, or is it only available via
    >>> a web browser?
    >
    > Heck, I'll give 'em my standard cut and paste ;)
    >
    > <quote>
    > For future reference there have been newsgroups setup specifically for the
    > Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta:
    >

    > Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    >
    > At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
    > AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
    > newsgroups:
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    >
    > These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.
    >
    > To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
    > location:
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >
    > To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
    > information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
    > - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    > - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    > - Password: spyware
    >
    > NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link
    > </quote>
    >
    > *chuckles* for the people who don't click links :D
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    > without them."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
    > via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
    > accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
    > newsserver, ATM.
    >
    > Again, the page is
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=
    > spyware&sLCID=us

    Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
    GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar wrote:

    > On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
    > consideration of other readers...
    >
    >> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
    >> via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
    >> accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
    >> newsserver, ATM.
    >>
    >> Again, the page is
    >> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=
    >> spyware&sLCID=us
    >
    > Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
    > GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.

    You don't need to use GigaNews for any of the Microsoft newsgroups. I
    have Comcast which uses GigaNews and I don't. You want to set up a new
    server, using the server information as follows:

    NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    Account name: privatenews\spyware
    Password: spyware

    Then you can fetch the descriptions of the newsgroups and subscribe to
    the ones you want.

    The public MS newsgroups' server is msnews.microsoft.com and does not
    need an account name or password.

    You can have multiple newsservers set up in a newsreader. I have three
    of them in this one and I know OE can do that.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    On this date, Galen extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    >
    > At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft
    > Windows AntiSpyware is being provided through the following
    > Microsoft newsgroups:
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    > - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    >
    > These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.
    >
    > To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the
    > following location:
    > http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=
    > spyware&sLCID=us
    >
    > To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the
    > following information for your NNTP client (such as
    > Microsoft Outlook Express):
    > - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    > - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    > - Password: spyware

    That explains it, these NGs are on M$'s private server, not
    Usenet. Thanks.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    > All Things Mopar wrote:
    >
    >> On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
    >> consideration of other readers...
    >>
    >>> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
    >>> via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
    >>> accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
    >>> newsserver, ATM.
    >>>
    >>> Again, the page is
    >>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=
    >>> spyware&sLCID=us
    >>
    >> Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
    >> GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.
    >>
    > You don't need to use GigaNews for any of the Microsoft newsgroups. I
    > have Comcast which uses GigaNews and I don't. You want to set up a new
    > server, using the server information as follows:
    >
    > NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    > Account name: privatenews\spyware
    > Password: spyware
    >
    > Then you can fetch the descriptions of the newsgroups and subscribe to
    > the ones you want.
    >
    > The public MS newsgroups' server is msnews.microsoft.com and does not
    > need an account name or password.
    >
    > You can have multiple newsservers set up in a newsreader. I have three
    > of them in this one and I know OE can do that.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    All you have to do is delete your current version of Microsoft AntiSpyware
    then delete "gcUnCompressed.dll" which is located in Windows system32 (use
    your search program). Download a fresh copy of Microsoft AntiSpyware and
    there you go!!

    In news:OuY58VQiFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    > Could you ask Sherlock if I am one of them, Galen (depending on the
    > moon phase)?

    Your sanity has never been in question. Just the opposite. We know all about
    your lack of sanity already. We all already know that you're insane. With or
    without the cycle of the moon you've got to be insane to do all that you do.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    What Malke said.
    --

    "All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote in message
    > On this date, PA Bear extended this wisdom for the
    > consideration of other readers...
    >
    >> Besides the web-based access, the group is also accessible
    >> via NNTP. See the page I cited for instructions on
    >> accessing the group in your newsreader via the MS Private
    >> newsserver, ATM.
    >>
    >> Again, the page is
    >> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=
    >> spyware&sLCID=us
    >
    > Thanks. Guess I'll have to use the web version. My NSP,
    > GigaNews, doesn't seem to provide this NG.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    <LOL> In a semi-private thought, this is a compliment. Thank you! :o)

    --

    > In news:OuY58VQiFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:
    >

    >> Could you ask Sherlock if I am one of them, Galen (depending on the
    >> moon phase)?
    >
    > Your sanity has never been in question. Just the opposite. We know all
    > about your lack of sanity already. We all already know that you're insane.
    > With or without the cycle of the moon you've got to be insane to do all
    > that you do.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    > without them."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

Microsoft Software Windows XP