SP2-Drive Image 2002- Norton AV problems

July 14, 2005 11:08:59 PM

Hi!
just thought I'd throw up something I have been fighting. I now know how to
get around it, but wonder what is causing it. using XP Home, I was doing a
new installation, and installed XP, and then SP2 BEFORE I formatted the rest
of the partitions. They formatted, (NTFS) but then when I installed Drive
Image 2002, found that on Imaging a partition, the Image Editor would belly
up and give me a 1810 error, and couldn't read the image. I went round and
round with it, and found that when I reinstalled XP(SP1) then Drive Image ,
it worked correctly. Comes to SP2 formats, or does something to the
partition so Drive Image doesn't work correctly, and also had the same thing
with Norton AV 2003, when SP2 is on, had all kinds of problems, and never
got the Client Services update to install until I unistalled SP2 first. Go
figure!

Anyone can tell me why, or do I have to unistall SP2 everytime I make a
change to these guys?

Thanks,
nagsteer
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:54:32 AM

"nagsteer" <nospamnagsteer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o ZM8mIOiFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi!
> just thought I'd throw up something I have been fighting. I now know how
> get around it, but wonder what is causing it. using XP Home, I was doing a
> new installation, and installed XP, and then SP2 BEFORE I formatted the
rest
> of the partitions. They formatted, (NTFS) but then when I installed Drive
> Image 2002, found that on Imaging a partition, the Image Editor would
belly
> up and give me a 1810 error, and couldn't read the image. I went round
and
> round with it, and found that when I reinstalled XP(SP1) then Drive Image
,
> it worked correctly. Comes to SP2 formats, or does something to the
> partition so Drive Image doesn't work correctly, and also had the same
thing
> with Norton AV 2003, when SP2 is on, had all kinds of problems, and never
> got the Client Services update to install until I unistalled SP2 first. Go
> figure!
>
> Anyone can tell me why, or do I have to unistall SP2 everytime I make a
> change to these guys?
>
> Thanks,
> nagsteer

Seems to me that was the problem I ran into (1810 sounds familiar)
with Drive Image as well as Partition Magic (older versions) -- both
would bail out with a stupid non-helpful error message. Partition
magic would not even let me look at the drive geometry without
exiting. Windows booted fine and all other disk sanity checks
passed. As near as I could tell, I had managed to get the order
of the partitions in the partition table moved around - the pointers
were correct, but the first entry in the table was not the first
partition on the disk -- I think it happened when I was setting up
a dual boot situation. I ended up using Ranish partition manager
(free) which had no problems looking at the partition table,
to re-order the partition entries then Drive Image and
Partition magic worked again. Never did lose any data - all
partitions themselves were OK. Power Quest was not very
helpful on the issue either !!

mikey
July 15, 2005 2:52:59 AM

In news:o ZM8mIOiFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
nagsteer <nospamnagsteer@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> Hi!
> just thought I'd throw up something I have been fighting. I now know
> how to get around it, but wonder what is causing it. using XP Home, I
> was doing a new installation, and installed XP, and then SP2 BEFORE I
> formatted the rest of the partitions. They formatted, (NTFS) but
> then when I installed Drive Image 2002, found that on Imaging a
> partition, the Image Editor would belly up and give me a 1810 error,
> and couldn't read the image. I went round and round with it, and
> found that when I reinstalled XP(SP1) then Drive Image , it worked
> correctly. Comes to SP2 formats, or does something to the partition
> so Drive Image doesn't work correctly, and also had the same thing
> with Norton AV 2003, when SP2 is on, had all kinds of problems, and
> never got the Client Services update to install until I unistalled
> SP2 first. Go figure!
> Anyone can tell me why, or do I have to unistall SP2 everytime I make
> a change to these guys?
>
> Thanks,
> nagsteer

Perhaps the makers of the application (or the version that you actually have
installed) aren't fully SP2 complient? If not then you should check with the
authors of the application (Symantec) to see if there's an updated version
available. Lately I've been playing with Acronis and now Image for Windows
for my cloning needs. Perhaps you can take a peek at those for options for
making drive images. For partitioning there's the terabyteunlimited.com site
as well.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes