SP2-Drive Image 2002- Norton AV problems

Hi!
just thought I'd throw up something I have been fighting. I now know how to
get around it, but wonder what is causing it. using XP Home, I was doing a
new installation, and installed XP, and then SP2 BEFORE I formatted the rest
of the partitions. They formatted, (NTFS) but then when I installed Drive
Image 2002, found that on Imaging a partition, the Image Editor would belly
up and give me a 1810 error, and couldn't read the image. I went round and
round with it, and found that when I reinstalled XP(SP1) then Drive Image ,
it worked correctly. Comes to SP2 formats, or does something to the
partition so Drive Image doesn't work correctly, and also had the same thing
with Norton AV 2003, when SP2 is on, had all kinds of problems, and never
got the Client Services update to install until I unistalled SP2 first. Go
figure!

Anyone can tell me why, or do I have to unistall SP2 everytime I make a
change to these guys?

Thanks,
nagsteer
2 answers Last reply
More about drive image 2002 norton problems

    "nagsteer" <nospamnagsteer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    > just thought I'd throw up something I have been fighting. I now know how
    > get around it, but wonder what is causing it. using XP Home, I was doing a
    > new installation, and installed XP, and then SP2 BEFORE I formatted the
    rest
    > of the partitions. They formatted, (NTFS) but then when I installed Drive
    > Image 2002, found that on Imaging a partition, the Image Editor would
    belly
    > up and give me a 1810 error, and couldn't read the image. I went round
    and
    > round with it, and found that when I reinstalled XP(SP1) then Drive Image
    ,
    > it worked correctly. Comes to SP2 formats, or does something to the
    > partition so Drive Image doesn't work correctly, and also had the same
    thing
    > with Norton AV 2003, when SP2 is on, had all kinds of problems, and never
    > got the Client Services update to install until I unistalled SP2 first. Go
    > figure!
    >
    > Anyone can tell me why, or do I have to unistall SP2 everytime I make a
    > change to these guys?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > nagsteer

    Seems to me that was the problem I ran into (1810 sounds familiar)
    with Drive Image as well as Partition Magic (older versions) -- both
    would bail out with a stupid non-helpful error message. Partition
    magic would not even let me look at the drive geometry without
    exiting. Windows booted fine and all other disk sanity checks
    passed. As near as I could tell, I had managed to get the order
    of the partitions in the partition table moved around - the pointers
    were correct, but the first entry in the table was not the first
    partition on the disk -- I think it happened when I was setting up
    a dual boot situation. I ended up using Ranish partition manager
    (free) which had no problems looking at the partition table,
    to re-order the partition entries then Drive Image and
    Partition magic worked again. Never did lose any data - all
    partitions themselves were OK. Power Quest was not very
    helpful on the issue either !!

    mikey

    In news:OZM8mIOiFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    nagsteer <nospamnagsteer@yahoo.com> had this to say:

    > Hi!
    > just thought I'd throw up something I have been fighting. I now know
    > how to get around it, but wonder what is causing it. using XP Home, I
    > was doing a new installation, and installed XP, and then SP2 BEFORE I
    > formatted the rest of the partitions. They formatted, (NTFS) but
    > then when I installed Drive Image 2002, found that on Imaging a
    > partition, the Image Editor would belly up and give me a 1810 error,
    > and couldn't read the image. I went round and round with it, and
    > found that when I reinstalled XP(SP1) then Drive Image , it worked
    > correctly. Comes to SP2 formats, or does something to the partition
    > so Drive Image doesn't work correctly, and also had the same thing
    > with Norton AV 2003, when SP2 is on, had all kinds of problems, and
    > never got the Client Services update to install until I unistalled
    > SP2 first. Go figure!
    > Anyone can tell me why, or do I have to unistall SP2 everytime I make
    > a change to these guys?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > nagsteer

    Perhaps the makers of the application (or the version that you actually have
    installed) aren't fully SP2 complient? If not then you should check with the
    authors of the application (Symantec) to see if there's an updated version
    available. Lately I've been playing with Acronis and now Image for Windows
    for my cloning needs. Perhaps you can take a peek at those for options for
    making drive images. For partitioning there's the terabyteunlimited.com site
    as well.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes