Dell Dimension 8400 troubleshoot

mjk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Recently there was a power surge/spike and the computer was in standby mode. Well, it messed up the HDD, so I replaced it. Now the pc keeps crashing quite often with BSOD and numerous stop errors. I did a memtest and it immediately came up with a red screen full of errors. Using the computer right now and it will go hours maybe even days without crashing. Before I rush out and buy some memory, what other things should I check for or is the memtest concrete enough to buy memory? Pc has two 512mb sticks and I didn't test them individually.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
the upside if its memory is that it takes ddr2 and you can goto newegg and get a 2gb kit for $30-35... if a power surge took out your hd and maybe memory i'd be wondering if other things in the mobo are fried as well.

mjk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
New machine up and running, so now its time to get this piece of junk going.

When I boot the dell it goes to the welcome screen, then goes blank leaving only the pointer, which will move in accordance to the mouse. So power down and bsod IRQL something or rather. It will go to safe mode, but shuts down as soon as I start accessing applications. Right now its idle in safe mode. Not too sure what to do next.

mjk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Ok, I tested memory individually and one stick is bad. I'm still a little hesitant to buy any memory just yet, but at least I can access files now.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
are you american?

i just picked up 2gb of crucial ddr2-667 from newegg for like... $33, and i'm sure that will work in an 8400 because i've done the same upgrade w\ 2 here in the office.

mjk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
After two new sticks of ram and fresh install of xp, my dell has been resurrected. Yay me!!