Your opinion: what is the best Wild West Skirmish game?

What's your favourite Wild West Skirmish game?

I already know and play "Rules without name" (Foundry) and it is a lot of fun.

Criteria are:

- fun (random events etc.)
- easy to play/learn
- No need of too much miniatures

Cheers,

Walter
4 answers Last reply
More about your opinion wild west skirmish game
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Walter Schuhbauer wrote:
    > What's your favourite Wild West Skirmish game?
    >
    > I already know and play "Rules without name" (Foundry) and it is a lot of fun.
    >
    > Criteria are:
    >
    > - fun (random events etc.)
    > - easy to play/learn
    > - No need of too much miniatures

    Shootist!

    It's a very old game ('70s?), but it still works for us. VEry fast and
    easy to learn (less than 5 minutes). Compared to this, Rules with No
    Name is super-complicated.

    Email me if you want a cheat sheet of the rules.

    Phil
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Six Gun Sound by Two Hour Wargames. As few as 2 figures. Has scenario
    generator, and is very unpredictable.

    Ken
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Walter Schuhbauer" <walschuh@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > What's your favourite Wild West Skirmish game?
    >
    > I already know and play "Rules without name" (Foundry) and it is a lot of
    fun.

    > Criteria are:
    >
    > - fun (random events etc.)
    > - easy to play/learn
    > - No need of too much miniatures
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Walter

    The answer is obvious; my own rules! Actually, I did write some rules,
    called Westamunda, based on the GW game Necromunda. If you liked GW WH40K
    (second edition) or Necromunda, then you should like these. They had all
    the rules you might expect; riding, shooting, hand to hand, gangs and
    character generation for campaigns, scenarios, etc. They are free and you
    can find them in the Necromunda Yahoo group Files section, or at the
    Freewargamesrules website (19th century section).

    My friends an I found that the best way to play Westamunda was with
    authentic cowboy hats and an Ennio Morricone soundtrack.

    Cheers

    Malc
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Walter Schuhbauer" <walschuh@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > What's your favourite Wild West Skirmish game?

    Once Upon a Time in the West.

    Great set of rules. You don't have a lot of control over your character, so
    its very entertaining.
    Characters are based on a point-buy system. Among the more interesting
    attributes are (IIRC)

    Smarts -- which determines how many options you might have each round
    Bravery -- which is a modifier to the roll for each action
    Reflexes -- how quickly you react
    and something about how hard-hearted you are.

    Each round you roll to see what your allowable options are. The braver you
    are, the more aggressive options permitted. The smarter you are, the more
    you can choose from. There are rules for what to do if someone moves up
    behind you (you roll to see if you hear them, then roll a reaction. It's
    quite possible if you have great reflexes but are cruel that you might shoot
    someone on your own side in that case, I've seen it happen.)

    There are three booklets, maybe four. One includes campaign/role-playing
    aspects. There are also some cool strategems, such as playing dead. The
    smart way is to lie down before the enemy can see you. The dumb way is to
    say "oh, they got me" and then lie down. The dumb way done better is to say
    "oh, they got me", grab your chest, and hurl yourself to the ground. The
    harder you throw yourself to the ground the more likely you are to be
    believed, but also the more likely you are to injure yourself. The enemy has
    to make a cruelty check to shoot someone they believe is unconcious or
    mortally wounded.

    There are also rules for "the big gundown" or draw. The idea is that the two
    gunfighters stand there glaring and insulting each other, wearing down each
    others resolve, until one of them looses his nerve and is forced to take a
    panic shot, which is likely to miss, and also gives the cool-headed hombre
    justification for killing the poor SOB in self-defense.

    The rules are a combination of realistic and spagetti-western, and include a
    whole bunch of canonical gunslingers, both real and fictional.

    They were published in three volumes, plus an RPG sequel (The Return of Once
    Upon a Time in the West) by Table Top Games (TTG) in 1978. I was able to
    find a copy a couple of years ago, they might still be in print.

Games Events Video Games