Copying Bootable CD Disk to DVD Disk

I am trying to copy a bootable CD installation disk (Symantec/Norton Ghost
9.0) to a blank DVD/RW disk in such a way that the DVD/RW disk will (1) have
same bootable characteristics as the CD installation disk (same DOS programs,
etc) and will (2) allow the user to add additional data to the DVD/RW disk
(multisession capable)

I don't have any trouble copying CD to CD or DVD to DVD using Nero, Roxio
Creator, Sonic or Drag N Drop, etc. using their disk to disk copying
applications - however, none of these applications as far as I can tell
allows you make an exact copy of a CD to a DVD

Although I can copy each file from the CD to the DVD - I am losing the so
called boot portion of the CD and as a result, the DVD fails to boot up into
its DOS environment - the DVD copy will allow you to install the program and
everything else - only the self booting capability into DOS is missing from
the DVD copy

Apparently, a bootable CD or DVD disk has two drives/partitions/sectors ??
Does Windows and these other Windows based writing programs only see or show
the non bootable drive of the disk??

How do I copy the missing boot files on the CD disk so that I can get the
DVD disk to boot and perform the same as the CD disk??

Thank you in advance for your help!!
5 answers Last reply
More about copying bootable disk disk

    "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to copy a bootable CD installation disk (Symantec/Norton Ghost
    > 9.0) to a blank DVD/RW disk in such a way that the DVD/RW disk will (1)
    have
    > same bootable characteristics as the CD installation disk (same DOS
    programs,
    > etc) and will (2) allow the user to add additional data to the DVD/RW disk
    > (multisession capable)
    >
    > I don't have any trouble copying CD to CD or DVD to DVD using Nero, Roxio
    > Creator, Sonic or Drag N Drop, etc. using their disk to disk copying
    > applications - however, none of these applications as far as I can tell
    > allows you make an exact copy of a CD to a DVD
    >
    > Although I can copy each file from the CD to the DVD - I am losing the so
    > called boot portion of the CD and as a result, the DVD fails to boot up
    into
    > its DOS environment - the DVD copy will allow you to install the program
    and
    > everything else - only the self booting capability into DOS is missing
    from
    > the DVD copy
    >
    > Apparently, a bootable CD or DVD disk has two drives/partitions/sectors ??
    > Does Windows and these other Windows based writing programs only see or
    show
    > the non bootable drive of the disk??
    >
    > How do I copy the missing boot files on the CD disk so that I can get the
    > DVD disk to boot and perform the same as the CD disk??
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help!!

    It seems to me Nero allows you to specify the CD (the bootable
    one) as the source for the boot image. Make sure you select
    "bootable CD" or something like that in Nero, not just "data cd"
    In Nero 5.5.??, when you select create new CD, down near the
    bottom of the list is "CD-ROM [boot]" -- that is the one you want.

    mikey

    start here
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=bootable+cds+to+dvd+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    lots of useful info
    --
    there are no problems just challenges

    "Mike Fields" wrote:

    > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to copy a bootable CD installation disk (Symantec/Norton Ghost
    > > 9.0) to a blank DVD/RW disk in such a way that the DVD/RW disk will (1)
    > have
    > > same bootable characteristics as the CD installation disk (same DOS
    > programs,
    > > etc) and will (2) allow the user to add additional data to the DVD/RW disk
    > > (multisession capable)
    > >
    > > I don't have any trouble copying CD to CD or DVD to DVD using Nero, Roxio
    > > Creator, Sonic or Drag N Drop, etc. using their disk to disk copying
    > > applications - however, none of these applications as far as I can tell
    > > allows you make an exact copy of a CD to a DVD
    > >
    > > Although I can copy each file from the CD to the DVD - I am losing the so
    > > called boot portion of the CD and as a result, the DVD fails to boot up
    > into
    > > its DOS environment - the DVD copy will allow you to install the program
    > and
    > > everything else - only the self booting capability into DOS is missing
    > from
    > > the DVD copy
    > >
    > > Apparently, a bootable CD or DVD disk has two drives/partitions/sectors ??
    > > Does Windows and these other Windows based writing programs only see or
    > show
    > > the non bootable drive of the disk??
    > >
    > > How do I copy the missing boot files on the CD disk so that I can get the
    > > DVD disk to boot and perform the same as the CD disk??
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for your help!!
    >
    > It seems to me Nero allows you to specify the CD (the bootable
    > one) as the source for the boot image. Make sure you select
    > "bootable CD" or something like that in Nero, not just "data cd"
    > In Nero 5.5.??, when you select create new CD, down near the
    > bottom of the list is "CD-ROM [boot]" -- that is the one you want.
    >
    > mikey

    It appears you're trying to create a Ghost boot DVD, and save a smallish
    image file on it as well.
    The more common method is to burn spanned image files to DVD/RW in ISO
    format and use the standard Ghost boot CD for restoration. Each image file
    must be less than 2GB total. Two such maximum sized files can be burned on
    each DVD.
    See more inserted below...
    "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to copy a bootable CD installation disk (Symantec/Norton Ghost
    > 9.0) to a blank DVD/RW disk in such a way that the DVD/RW disk will (1)
    have
    > same bootable characteristics as the CD installation disk (same DOS
    programs,
    > etc) and will (2) allow the user to add additional data to the DVD/RW disk
    > (multisession capable)

    There is no commonly used burning software that can do that in one step.

    > I don't have any trouble copying CD to CD or DVD to DVD using Nero, Roxio
    > Creator, Sonic or Drag N Drop, etc. using their disk to disk copying
    > applications - however, none of these applications as far as I can tell
    > allows you make an exact copy of a CD to a DVD

    There's no big demand for that at the moment.

    > Although I can copy each file from the CD to the DVD - I am losing the so
    > called boot portion of the CD and as a result, the DVD fails to boot up
    into
    > its DOS environment - the DVD copy will allow you to install the program
    and
    > everything else - only the self booting capability into DOS is missing
    from
    > the DVD copy

    Last I looked, the current Ghost and former DI 7.0 use Windows PE, not a
    msdos envrionment.

    > Apparently, a bootable CD or DVD disk has two drives/partitions/sectors ??

    No such divisions on CD/DVD.
    The boot portion serves as drive A:, the remainder, usually in a separate
    session, has a different drive letter.

    > Does Windows and these other Windows based writing programs only see or
    show
    > the non bootable drive of the disk??

    The cd filesystem cannot read a boot portion of a CD/DVD.

    > How do I copy the missing boot files on the CD disk so that I can get the
    > DVD disk to boot and perform the same as the CD disk??

    Its more than just writing files.

    > Thank you in advance for your help!!

    From the replys posted so far, I think we are losing sight of what the
    objective or soultion should probably be !!

    In my opinion, the objective is to completely and accurately clone a CD disk
    unto a DVD disk. If you are able to clone the CD completely and accurately
    unto a DVD similar to the copy disk to disk copy applications of the major
    writing software vendors (Nero, Roxio, Sonic, etc) you will solve the boot
    problem

    Whether or not the source disk is simple or complicated, bootable or non
    bootable -
    should not be a factor - if the source disk is completely and accurately
    copied from start to finish you will end up with the same disk as the source
    and it will function the same

    I personally have yet to experience any problems whatsoever when using their
    CD to CD or DVD to DVD disk to disk copying applications regardless of how
    simple or complicated, bootable or non bootable the source disk may have been

    The solution to fixing the boot problem is not to try and figure out how to
    make a bootable DVD and the associated programs related to the boot
    environment but rather simply how can you copy a CD completely from start to
    finish and burn it to a DVD

    Trying to figure out the proper booting files, drivers and the programs that
    run from the boot environment would be a nightmare - probably only the
    original software programmers would know the exact files, etc

    I really think the solution to this problem is strictly a copy problem and
    has nothing to do with how simple or complicated the source disk might be,
    bootable or nonbootable, etc, etc

    The problem is: (1) how can you copy a CD completely from start to finish
    and burn it to a DVD or in the alternative (2) how can you find and copy all
    the associated boot files and related applications on the source CD disk and
    then burn them to a DVD

    Finally, it seems puzzling to me that none of the major software writing
    vendors to my knowledge has devised a program to copy a CD to a DVD - maybe
    it simply can't be done ?? Something to do with the different media disks ??

    Thanks in advance for any replys

    Do a google search and you will find this.
    http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200409/1094274713.html
    --
    Ron Sommer

    > From the replys posted so far, I think we are losing sight of what the
    > objective or soultion should probably be !!
    >
    > In my opinion, the objective is to completely and accurately clone a CD
    > disk
    > unto a DVD disk. If you are able to clone the CD completely and accurately
    > unto a DVD similar to the copy disk to disk copy applications of the major
    > writing software vendors (Nero, Roxio, Sonic, etc) you will solve the boot
    > problem
    >
    > Whether or not the source disk is simple or complicated, bootable or non
    > bootable -
    > should not be a factor - if the source disk is completely and accurately
    > copied from start to finish you will end up with the same disk as the
    > source
    > and it will function the same
    >
    > I personally have yet to experience any problems whatsoever when using
    > their
    > CD to CD or DVD to DVD disk to disk copying applications regardless of how
    > simple or complicated, bootable or non bootable the source disk may have
    > been
    >
    > The solution to fixing the boot problem is not to try and figure out how
    > make a bootable DVD and the associated programs related to the boot
    > environment but rather simply how can you copy a CD completely from start
    > finish and burn it to a DVD
    >
    > Trying to figure out the proper booting files, drivers and the programs
    > that
    > run from the boot environment would be a nightmare - probably only the
    > original software programmers would know the exact files, etc
    >
    > I really think the solution to this problem is strictly a copy problem and
    > has nothing to do with how simple or complicated the source disk might be,
    > bootable or nonbootable, etc, etc
    >
    > The problem is: (1) how can you copy a CD completely from start to finish
    > and burn it to a DVD or in the alternative (2) how can you find and copy
    > all
    > the associated boot files and related applications on the source CD disk
    > and
    > then burn them to a DVD
    >
    > Finally, it seems puzzling to me that none of the major software writing
    > vendors to my knowledge has devised a program to copy a CD to a DVD -
    > maybe
    > it simply can't be done ?? Something to do with the different media disks
    > ??
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any replys

DVD CD-Rom DVD RW Windows XP