• 2 %
  • mac and pc
  • 12 %
  • pc and linux
  • 35 %
  • linux and mac
  • 2 %
March 3, 2009 2:25:19 AM

mac vs pc!!!!!! i know this topic is very contriversal but i want to find out peoples stand

i am neutral irepeat i am neutral
i own a mac and several pcs

More about : mac

September 5, 2009 2:55:31 AM

Windows for me. I get to build my own system and have a much bigger software selection; nearly everything is compatible with Windows. Security really isn't a problem if you're up to date and have appropriate anti-virus, firewall, etc. installed. Besides, I'm used to it and would rather spend my time productively rather than learning a new UI.
February 21, 2010 11:32:56 PM

I think the words of these security experts sums up one major reason. Link to full article here.

Quote:
If you look at the number of published vulnerabilities in software and the number of users and compare Windows versus Mac OS you will discover that Mac OS has far more published vulnerabilities per user than Windows does so I think the data pretty much speaks for itself.

Eric Johanson, security researcher

Quote:
If you believe the hype and the flashy commercials the answer would be Mac. But if you take a look at the two platforms, and the mindsets of the companies behind them then the PC wins hands down.

Tyler Reguly,
Senior security research engineer, nCircle

Another major reason for me is cost. You have a pay a good chunk of change just for the Apple brand name and god forbid you try to upgrade your computer. Mr Jobs does not approve of something like not having to pay him more money for a new computer by upgrading.

I have 2 computers. One with Win7 Ultimate and one with Win7 Pro both 64-bit. I also have a portable (2.5") external HDD that I can use on either of those or take to school to use on one of their computers with me that has Ubuntu and Fedora on it.
Related resources
February 24, 2010 1:22:42 AM

Mac vs PC vs Linux? Seriously cannot answer that because:

1. PC is not an operating system if that's what you were going for.

2. Mac computers are PCs. Personal Computer.

3. Linux does not manufacture computers if you were using PC as "all computer manufacturers except mac" so that doesn't work either.
April 15, 2010 7:22:44 PM

Its pretty stupid that apple decided to say everything other than a mac is a PC. You can install mac OS on a regular computer. Does that make it a mac? Mac's aren't personal computers? What are they then? Steve's computers? Mac's haven't taken off for a reason, they're not better than a windows or linux computer.
April 15, 2010 9:05:35 PM

Nothing is better than a Linux computer
April 27, 2010 5:00:28 PM

I don't limit myself to just one operating system. I use all three and as such I can run every piece of available software. Macbook Pro + thinkpad + home assembled desktop. Confine yourself to just Windows you miss out on some cool stuff. Broaden your horizons. OS X is different. It's not better or worse than Windows. It's different.
April 27, 2010 6:34:46 PM

tayb said:
I don't limit myself to just one operating system. I use all three and as such I can run every piece of available software. Macbook Pro + thinkpad + home assembled desktop. Confine yourself to just Windows you miss out on some cool stuff. Broaden your horizons. OS X is different. It's not better or worse than Windows. It's different.

Out of curiosity, what do you think I am missing by not using OS X? I currently run Win7 Home Premium with an Ubuntu virtual machine. Sure, I can't run any files with a ".dmg" extension, but there are Linux and Windows programs to match any OS X program I can think of.
April 28, 2010 12:15:17 AM

Bolbi said:
Out of curiosity, what do you think I am missing by not using OS X? I currently run Win7 Home Premium with an Ubuntu virtual machine. Sure, I can't run any files with a ".dmg" extension, but there are Linux and Windows programs to match any OS X program I can think of.

nothing really. they're not bad computers, but you don't get anything special. maybe give Linux a try, but other than that Windows 7 will do fine.
April 28, 2010 3:22:27 AM

Bruceification73 said:
Nothing is better than a Linux computer

Linux is not a computer.
April 28, 2010 8:13:10 AM

enzo matrix said:
Linux is not a computer.

What I meant was nothing is better than a computer with Linux on it. I'm not a dumbass, I know what Linux is. I also know what |-|4(k3r5 are, being that I am one of them.
April 28, 2010 12:30:04 PM

@Bruceification:
Not to be rude at all, but I'd like to know what OS X fans think I'm missing. :D 
April 28, 2010 3:09:08 PM

Bruceification73 said:
What I meant was nothing is better than a computer with Linux on it. I'm not a dumbass, I know what Linux is. I also know what |-|4(k3r5 are, being that I am one of them.

I assumed so. Just poking fun.
April 28, 2010 9:13:55 PM

Seriously, whats the point of Linux?
April 28, 2010 9:51:15 PM

Teen Geek said:

For me, it's both learning and fun. As you probably know, Linux is common for servers. So, if I ever need to administrate a server, learning how packages, the Terminal, etc. all work will be invaluable. I also have fun with all the... interesting programs developed for it. Finally, I admit it: I like the eye candy. Though I'm definitely a Win7 fan, the Linux KDE beats the pants off Aero in my book.
April 29, 2010 12:02:31 AM

Teen Geek said:

Linux is not only more secure for networking and firewalling, but also more customizable, and there are really good programs that run on Linux and UNIX but not Windows. Besides, the OS is free and they're great for hacking and writing/compiling scripts.
July 11, 2010 2:57:56 AM

macpc1921 said:
mac vs pc!!!!!! i know this topic is very contriversal but i want to find out peoples stand

i am neutral irepeat i am neutral
i own a mac and several pcs

I have been a PC guys for the last 14 years starting with packard bell! I started off with a Apple IIe and Zork but never got into a Apple macintosh due to atari 5200 gaming and nintendo and super nintendo until I got my first pc a 200Mhz pc with MMX
July 11, 2010 2:57:57 PM

GunBladeType-T said:
I have been a PC

Sadly Apple's marketing still got to you :p 
July 11, 2010 3:38:09 PM

Well Actually My Dad and Mom bought me the comp, but Karetaka-The Hobbit-Zork-Math Blaster-Reader Rabbit were all cool games, and Hercules 12 tasks-Boulder Dash Etc... All the rich Kids had a Macintosh or you had to goto the Niles Public Library to play the Game Uninvited! Well thats sums up old gaming in the 80's Pre Nintendo!
July 24, 2010 4:38:16 PM

GunBladeType-T said:
I'm a StrongBad! :fou: 

Compy 386?
July 29, 2010 5:32:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!