putting a mouse on laptop

mikesmithfl

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2005
I've got an older Compaq Armada laptop I'm trying to set up for my wife to use, but the mousepad stinks, and it uses the serial port for an external mouse. So I'm trying to hook up one of the mice we've got laying around. I can't find anywhere to look up if they're combo mice or strictly PS/2 mice. I tried looking at the mfr's websites, but they're not listed anywhere. Is there a source somewhere to find out if I should be able to expect them to work? I've got a PS/2 to DB9 adapter already, but I can't tell if the mice should be expected to work or if the laptop has something configured wrong.

TKS

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Oh man it has been a while since I've use a serial mouse. That thing doesn't have a usb port? lol, jk :)
I think a db9 to ps2 converter "should" do the trick and the mouse "should" just work. It will likely need to be plugged in while the machine is off and then turn on the machine.
What os is that thing running? And what are the specs(if you know them)?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, most PS/2 mice don't work on DB9 adapters.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have a serious problem! MOST PS/2 mice won't work on a serial port via a DB9 adapter. The mice actually had to be designed for it. Worse still, the adapter had to be designed for the mouse (as in, there were multiple ways to wire the adapter for different mice). And more bad news: Mice that work with the adapters usually include the proper adapter, these have been off the market for YEARS!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You could probably find a serial mouse on ebay for a couple bucks.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

mikesmithfl

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2005
Right, that's why I was trying to find someplace that might let me know if any of the mice I've got might be Combo mice instead of just PS/2 mice. Looks like I might just have to try the ebay route and get still _another_ mouse. I'll have to stop by the hardware store and get some mouse traps too! ;)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a couple Microsoft serial mice here in perfect working condition.