Sign in with
Your question

19inch eye problems

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 20, 2007 6:30:18 PM

Hi all.
I had a 15' crt monitor for many years and just yesterday i bought a new lcd 19' monitor.
I must say i have great difficulties in getting used to it.
Someone told me that i should use the max resolution (1280X1024), not the 1024 one i use now.
Is that true and why?

More about : 19inch eye problems

October 20, 2007 7:08:32 PM

At native (max) resolutions, images and texts will be at their sharpest. Scaling down means the monitor will need to "estimate" the what they should look like on the screen. This leads to images and text that looks a bit blurry compared to native resolution.

If the text at native resolution is too small for you to read, then they increasing the size of the fonts instead of lowering the resolution. To increase the font (text) size do the folliowing:

1. Right click on the Desktop
2. Select Properties at the bottom.
3. In Display Properties, click the Appearance tab.
4. Change the Font Size field to Large Fonts.

That should make read text at native resolution easier.
October 22, 2007 12:19:19 AM

Ive heard that 19' is better than 17' LCDs because of dot pitch....
Whats that? Is that truth that 17 are worse for eyes?
Related resources
October 22, 2007 1:43:10 AM

Dot pitch, or pixel pitch for LCDs, is the space in between each pixel. Since 17" & 19" LCDs both have the same native resolution, the space in between each pixel is larger.

17" LCDs are not worse for eyes, but some people may have difficulty reading the smaller text. Because of the smaller pixel pitch 17" monitors can display sharper images and text than the 19" LCD monitors.
October 22, 2007 1:48:17 AM

You may have bought a low quality monitor or the video drivers have not been installed properly.

You should go to a store like CompUSA who has LCDs connected to PCs and check out if you have problems reading text with any of those monitors. Odds are they will not have a 19" LCD connected since they are considered "small" nowadays.

October 22, 2007 2:25:43 PM

ok you confused me.
Is 17 better or worse than 19 in reading text?
"Sharper" is better,right?
October 22, 2007 8:05:58 PM

On a 17" monitor, text should be sharper because the pixel pitch is smaller. On a 19" LCD monitor the text will be larger, but technically not as sharp as a 17" LCD monitor. The text on a 19" monitor is still very sharp though.
October 23, 2007 10:35:12 AM

Is your 19" a standard or widescreen? if it's wide like mine, a *x1024 setting looks odd, to say the least. for a square it's fine, but for wide use something along the lines of 1440x900.
October 23, 2007 11:10:27 AM

I have bought LG 1900R (not Wide) and i must say i feel disapointed.
Its the first TFT for me and i cant get used to it.
Ive also heard that PVA is the only good solution fot eyes....
I even consider start using my old 15 CRT :( 
October 23, 2007 12:23:31 PM

So what exactly is the problem?

Too bright?

Too fuzzy?

Too small?

What?
October 23, 2007 12:51:48 PM

Well its like seeing "butterflies". I feel it too bright. I tried the seetings but nothing changes. Maybe it is just to big to have it in front of my eyes at 50-60cm distance
October 23, 2007 4:44:46 PM

Try changing the brightness and contrast through your video card in the Display Properties menu. Click the Advanced button in the Settings tab. There should be options to do the adjustments. They will probably be different for ATI and nVidia cards.

If you have integrated video, like my work PC, then you will probably not have any options to adjust the brightness and constrast.
October 23, 2007 11:49:25 PM

Your LCD monitor can also be defective.

Can you post a few pictures using a camera showing different things on the screen like a Word document, an internet page, game or image file?
October 24, 2007 11:56:42 AM

jaguarskx said:
Dot pitch, or pixel pitch for LCDs, is the space in between each pixel.

I don't mean to pick nits, but yours is the ONLY definition of "dot pitch" as "space between pixels". Everybody else has used the term to mean "pixel size"...

(Of course I suppose you could use meanings interchangeably, but I've always thought of the "space between pixels" as the mesh screen.)

October 24, 2007 12:02:35 PM

jaguarskx said:
Try changing the brightness and contrast through your video card in the Display Properties menu. Click the Advanced button in the Settings tab. There should be options to do the adjustments. They will probably be different for ATI and nVidia cards.

If you have integrated video, like my work PC, then you will probably not have any options to adjust the brightness and constrast.

Not having brightness and contrast adjustment.... are you using a DVI connection? I've always found VGA, even with onboard video, to have these adjustments, but DVI often has a few restrictions.
!