Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multi-faceted problem? only computer tech can solve it?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 17, 2012 8:37:35 AM

I have had to spend most of the day dealing with the following issue. I have tried to summarise as best I can, essentially:

i) necessity to switch on the machine many times in the course of the first part of the morning;

ii) machine being very slow to boot & in the course of booting failing in numerous steps in the procedure, requiring me to reset it; at other times, 1 or 2 times resetting itself automatically; or me having to literally pull the plug, & then restart, because it wouldn’t otherwise;

iii) after having successfully managed to boot, attending to read email, or attempting to retrieve documents by use of desktop search, or strangely, even reading a forum I regularly read, results in the screen freezing--this happened around 3-4 times;

iv) alternatively, had appeared to be ok, no problems for 10-30 mins perhaps, then freezing of window again;

v) in the course of all this, did get an earlier software problem indication dialog:

“a problem has been detected in the following area system_service_exception" & shutdown for computer protection. If first time, restart computer"

I followed directions, & restarted.

If problem continues, disable/remove newly installed hardware or software (of which I have none), disable bios memory options eg. caching, shadowing.”

vi) subsequent attempts resulted in the error recovery window appearing at least 2 times on 2 separate occasions;

vii) when did seem stable, re-use of the desktop search resulted in the software having to re-index again, & one time when it finished, gave me results in a screen that had data in streaks and lines & boxes with data looking like it had been smudged—but in very organised fashion

viii) now, some 2-3 hours later, things seem stable, but I am unable to retrieve some data via my desktop search software, which after the first time in the morning re-indexing, should subsequently retrieve all chosen data without trouble. This is not the case.

ix) I am sure that if I turned off the machine, that the problem(s) would arise again.

The mention of the bios issue was interesting, as at my last service, some 15 months ago, the computer repairman indicated that the problem was the bios. Then, I had that problem dealt with, along with (re) installation of warez from XP to Windows 7. I can not describe more fully what the problem was 15 months ago, as I have discarded my paper notes on this issue.

Sorry for the length. Any ideas, suggestions? Is it something for a computer technician in a repair shop to attend to?

Thanks.
a c 354 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 3:38:55 PM

Get a new computer, you have so many issues that it sounds like a combination of bad hardware and a ton of viruses/spyware/broken software setups.

The issues could be from a bad hard-drive, bad motherboard, could even be a bad video card or RAM. If you need to bring this thing in to get fixed you will spend as much as a new system costs anyway.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 4:09:35 PM

If you have more than one stick of RAM you could simply try running with one stick at a time to see if you have a bad stick. Consider re-installing Windows if you have a disk. Otherwise you'll need to swap out GPU or Motherboard to eliminate other hardware probs. or as hang-the-9 suggests, cut your losses with a new rig!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 6:19:35 PM

Just how old is this system? Is it a brand named PC or a self build? Unless if you know how to diagnose every component it might be best just to replace the PC.

First i would assume it could be your PSU as your having trouble getting it to stay turned on, which also could be motherboard related as well. I you have a spare PSU lying around that would work in your system i would try that to see if the symptoms stay the same or if there is any improvement. If your desperate to get the PC running and don't have a PSU lying around i'd order one.. depending on whether you are familiar with the internal components.

You can always get your data off the hard drive (granted if it even works) so getting a new system would be your ideal solution if you don't want or don't know how to mess around with the internals. And you can always donate the rest to someone who is good at figuring out hardware issues. I would also check your motherboard's capacitors for leakage/corrosion. That would be a telltale sign that your motherboard is bad and the reason for your problems.
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 6:23:10 PM

Another possibility is overclocking. If the system in question is overclocked then reset back to default clocks and voltages.
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:46:51 PM

I would recommend (If you have time and willing to learn a few new things and you can t afford a new PC) literally servicing the PC yourself.

By removing ALL hardware, carefully cleaning all the components for dust.
This will give you a chance to visually inspect the motherboard components like the capacitors for bulges on the tops, it will look like they are about to pop.

First touch the PC case with your hand to discharge any static electricity before touching any electronic component.

Take an old toothbrush and lightly brush excess dust buildup around the CPU and anywhere a fan blows onto or near the board.

Take the CPU fan off, but not the heatsink, use the toothbrush again to brush of dust from the fins.

Do the same for the case fans. Blow into the side of the power supply unit. (Try not to get spit inside ^^)

Also the panels and inside of the case.

Reassemble everything.

Put the windows Install cd in the DVD drive and boot with it. Do a clean install.

If it still has the same problems, it is very likely that the RAM, PSU, motherboard or HDD is failing.

And PS, the IT guy said it is the BIOS giving problems ? What does he mean, a BIOS works or it doesn't. That's it, there are BIOS updates for that kind of thing available from the motherboard manufacturer website.

I have in 10 years never seen a half-working BIOS, LOL.
m
l
September 17, 2012 7:28:37 PM

blakwidowrsa said:
I would recommend (If you have time and willing to learn a few new things and you can t afford a new PC) literally servicing the PC yourself.

By removing ALL hardware, carefully cleaning all the components for dust.
This will give you a chance to visually inspect the motherboard components like the capacitors for bulges on the tops, it will look like they are about to pop.

First touch the PC case with your hand to discharge any static electricity before touching any electronic component.

Take an old toothbrush and lightly brush excess dust buildup around the CPU and anywhere a fan blows onto or near the board.

Take the CPU fan off, but not the heatsink, use the toothbrush again to brush of dust from the fins.

Do the same for the case fans. Blow into the side of the power supply unit. (Try not to get spit inside ^^)

Also the panels and inside of the case.

Reassemble everything.

Put the windows Install cd in the DVD drive and boot with it. Do a clean install.

If it still has the same problems, it is very likely that the RAM, PSU, motherboard or HDD is failing.

And PS, the IT guy said it is the BIOS giving problems ? What does he mean, a BIOS works or it doesn't. That's it, there are BIOS updates for that kind of thing available from the motherboard manufacturer website.

I have in 10 years never seen a half-working BIOS, LOL.

+1

I had a somewhat similar issue and after further investigation, the problem was with the 80pin ribbon for PATA IDE drives which eventually was replaced.

Not too many people realize that dust can also play havoc on a system, it's gets into the small nooks and crannys whereby over time, the bearings start to go and components begin to heat up and fail.

What's irked my curiosity is his remark:

The mention of the bios issue was interesting, as at my last service, some 15 months ago, the computer repairman indicated that the problem was the bios. Then, I had that problem dealt with, along with (re) installation of warez from XP to Windows 7.
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 10:03:19 PM

I'm thinking he is calling the software "warez" as opposed to a hacked version of the OS, in which case, the issues are not very unusual. If a hacked version of the OS is used, nothing good will happen till you use a legal copy without any shady add-ons installed.
m
l
September 25, 2012 12:39:59 AM

Best answer selected by ATP_1.
m
l
September 29, 2012 12:06:27 AM

hang-the-9 said:
I'm thinking he is calling the software "warez" as opposed to a hacked version of the OS, in which case, the issues are not very unusual. If a hacked version of the OS is used, nothing good will happen till you use a legal copy without any shady add-ons installed.

:pt1cable:  Agreed, If you are REALLY that desperate for an OS, there is always good'ol Linux absolutely free of charge ^^ :love: 
m
l
!