Windows XP fire wall and Norton Systemworks 2004

July 15, 2005 4:39:26 PM

Im using winxp sp2.
I have just installed Norton Systemworks 2004. Upon succesful of
installation, a message appeared asking me to disable Windows Firewall in
order for Systemworks to run to its fullest (in fact I cant remember well
what was the message, but im sure that it prompted to disable it).
Hence, I have disable Windows Firewall accordingly but I later cannot find
where is the firewall setting in Systemworks.

So I am wondering does Norton Systemworks provide real firewall like Norton
Internet Security?
Why Systemworks requires to disable Windows firewall if it does not provide
a real firewall?
Shall I enable my Windows firewall?

Regards,
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:39:27 PM

NSW does not include a firewall and it should not prompt you to disable
Windows Firewall. Norton Internet Security (NIS) does and you may safely
disable the Windows Firewall is NIS is installed & running properly.

So yes, re-enable Windows Firewall if you're running NSW 2004 and don't have
another third-party firewall (e.g., Zone Alarm) installed.

Symantec Service & Support
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/index.html
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

WWChew wrote:
> Im using winxp sp2.
> I have just installed Norton Systemworks 2004. Upon succesful of
> installation, a message appeared asking me to disable Windows Firewall in
> order for Systemworks to run to its fullest (in fact I cant remember well
> what was the message, but im sure that it prompted to disable it).
> Hence, I have disable Windows Firewall accordingly but I later cannot find
> where is the firewall setting in Systemworks.
>
> So I am wondering does Norton Systemworks provide real firewall like
> Norton Internet Security?
> Why Systemworks requires to disable Windows firewall if it does not
> provide a real firewall?
> Shall I enable my Windows firewall?
>
> Regards,
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:39:28 PM

Norton SystemWorks 2004 (and 2005) both include Norton Anti-Virus.
Anit-Virus has a feature when it would block Internet Worms. This feature
behaves like a "simple" firewall. However, it really does not seem to be as
powerful as SP2's firewall, so I disabled it.

!