can you do a reg restore from a command prompt?

i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to find
my cd burner. now i have no mouse or keyboard fnction when i boot into safe
mode
can you do a reg restore from a safe mode command prompt ?

thanks in advance

kelly

That edit has nothing to do with your mouse and keyboard. There isn't a reg
restore from safe mode as in Win98 as scanreg in command prompt, but if you
are speaking of system restore, yes.

HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

As per the edit you applied:

The UpperFilters or LowerFilters values in the registry, are placed/entered
there by other third-party CD-writing software products either by adding its
own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values placed by
default in XP.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I have yet to see an uninstall for this. Good luck!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to
>find
> my cd burner. now i have no mouse or keyboard fnction when i boot into
> safe
> mode
> can you do a reg restore from a safe mode command prompt ?
>
> thanks in advance

hmmm,well when i tried to boot to safe w/ command prompt, i still got the
screen that i had to log into a user account, not a command prompt, which of
course i cant get to because the mousey doesnt work!!!!, any ideas?
tia

"Kelly" wrote:

> That edit has nothing to do with your mouse and keyboard. There isn't a reg
> restore from safe mode as in Win98 as scanreg in command prompt, but if you
> are speaking of system restore, yes.
>
> HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
>
> As per the edit you applied:
>
> The UpperFilters or LowerFilters values in the registry, are placed/entered
> there by other third-party CD-writing software products either by adding its
> own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values placed by
> default in XP.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> I have yet to see an uninstall for this. Good luck!
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to
> >find
> > my cd burner. now i have no mouse or keyboard fnction when i boot into
> > safe
> > mode
> > can you do a reg restore from a safe mode command prompt ?
> >
> > thanks in advance

kelly

Why can't you boot to normal mode?
What was the exact edit you ran? As there are others for upper and lower
filters.
Is your mouse wireless or usb?

--

> hmmm,well when i tried to boot to safe w/ command prompt, i still got the
> screen that i had to log into a user account, not a command prompt, which
> of
> course i cant get to because the mousey doesnt work!!!!, any ideas?
> tia
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> That edit has nothing to do with your mouse and keyboard. There isn't a
>> reg
>> restore from safe mode as in Win98 as scanreg in command prompt, but if
>> you
>> are speaking of system restore, yes.
>>
>> HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
>>
>> As per the edit you applied:
>>
>> The UpperFilters or LowerFilters values in the registry, are
>> placed/entered
>> there by other third-party CD-writing software products either by adding
>> its
>> own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values placed by
>> default in XP.
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>>
>> I have yet to see an uninstall for this. Good luck!
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to
>> >find
>> > my cd burner. now i have no mouse or keyboard fnction when i boot into
>> > safe
>> > mode
>> > can you do a reg restore from a safe mode command prompt ?
>> >
>> > thanks in advance

i cant tell you excactly what i did, when i did the edit it looked like there
were multiple entiries for the cd key, so iedited them all i currently have a
old ps2 mouse plugged in,wish i could be more helpful
also this is a sata drive that i had installed a video driver that didnt
work,so i have compounded my problem when i went to last good configuration i
kicked the bad driver back in, so i cant see anything, except in safe mode
where the mouse doesnt work, is there a way to just get to a command prompt?

"Kelly" wrote:

> Why can't you boot to normal mode?
> What was the exact edit you ran? As there are others for upper and lower
> filters.
> Is your mouse wireless or usb?
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hmmm,well when i tried to boot to safe w/ command prompt, i still got the
> > screen that i had to log into a user account, not a command prompt, which
> > of
> > course i cant get to because the mousey doesnt work!!!!, any ideas?
> > tia
> >
> > "Kelly" wrote:
> >
> >> That edit has nothing to do with your mouse and keyboard. There isn't a
> >> reg
> >> restore from safe mode as in Win98 as scanreg in command prompt, but if
> >> you
> >> are speaking of system restore, yes.
> >>
> >> HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
> >>
> >> As per the edit you applied:
> >>
> >> The UpperFilters or LowerFilters values in the registry, are
> >> placed/entered
> >> there by other third-party CD-writing software products either by adding
> >> its
> >> own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values placed by
> >> default in XP.
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> >>
> >> I have yet to see an uninstall for this. Good luck!
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> All the Best,
> >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> >>

> >> "dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

run scanreg /restore and restore the registery from a safer date you think n
restart ur pc

cheers
RR

"dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to
>find
> my cd burner. now i have no mouse or keyboard fnction when i boot into
> safe
> mode
> can you do a reg restore from a safe mode command prompt ?
>
> thanks in advance

I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think scanreg /restore
is applicable in xp
--
there are no problems just challenges

"Rajeev Ramanujan" wrote:

> run scanreg /restore and restore the registery from a safer date you think n
> restart ur pc
>
> cheers
> RR
>

> "dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to
> >find
> > my cd burner. now i have no mouse or keyboard fnction when i boot into
> > safe
> > mode
> > can you do a reg restore from a safe mode command prompt ?
> >
> > thanks in advance

scanreg /restore is not a function in XP.It was a win98/ME approach.The
equivalent in XP is the use of System restore.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:27:16 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>The UpperFilters or LowerFilters values in the registry, are placed/entered
>there by other third-party CD-writing software products either by adding its
>own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values placed by
>default in XP.
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Do you happen to know the point of any app installing upper/lower
filters?

kelly

In XP, how?

--

"Rajeev Ramanujan" <rajeev.ramanujan@vizual.co.in> wrote in message
> run scanreg /restore and restore the registery from a safer date you think
> n restart ur pc
>
> cheers
> RR
>

> "dudech8" <dudech8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to
>>find
>> my cd burner. now i have no mouse or keyboard fnction when i boot into
>> safe
>> mode
>> can you do a reg restore from a safe mode command prompt ?
>>
>> thanks in advance

kelly

There are several, where is your focus directed to?