Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Thoughts on Message Board Lock-out on The Miniatures Page

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 28, 2004 10:11:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

I've always thought that supporting this page would be appropriate for
the obvious reasons, but locking the message board to non-supporting
members...well I don't think that's a very smart idea. Most post I've
seen have been from non-supporting members! One of two things will
happen:

It'll go the way of the Dodo

or

It'll be a pretty dull place to visit...
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:30:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

I don't post on TMP that often, but I agree that if the message boards are
locked-down permanently, I will visit a lot less.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 12:28:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

>Most post I've
>seen have been from non-supporting members

You mean people who pay nothing but want to have their say?

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:22:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

"BigBoy" <bigboy@overthere.net> wrote in message
news:9pa0909o710amjp1v5suvap5n140fknqbq@4ax.com...
> I've always thought that supporting this page would be appropriate for
> the obvious reasons, but locking the message board to non-supporting
> members...well I don't think that's a very smart idea.

I think it's an excellent idea.
If all those other forum pages and yahoo newsgroups would make it difficult
to post I think that'd be great as well.
Because it'd mean more people used newsgroups.
Newsgroups are far more efficient and just the one place to discuss things
would be great.

--
Regards,
Andy O'Neill
www.wargamer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
or, for no javascript and a faster load...
www.wargamer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sitemap.htm
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:41:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

"Andy O'Neill" <aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:uO3kc.11$0g3.5@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> "BigBoy" <bigboy@overthere.net> wrote in message
> news:9pa0909o710amjp1v5suvap5n140fknqbq@4ax.com...
> > I've always thought that supporting this page would be appropriate for
> > the obvious reasons, but locking the message board to non-supporting
> > members...well I don't think that's a very smart idea.
>
> I think it's an excellent idea.
> If all those other forum pages and yahoo newsgroups would make it
difficult
> to post I think that'd be great as well.
> Because it'd mean more people used newsgroups.
> Newsgroups are far more efficient and just the one place to discuss things
> would be great.

Hear, hear. I loath and detest web based bulletin boards, although I do
occasionally post my comments on TMP, if they want to lock out 70% of their
discussion contributors for not paying, then thats fine. The danger is of
course that people will just switch to yahoogroups in an even bigger way and
poor old r.g.m.h will wither even more. I don't mind the yahoogroups email
lists quite so much web based discussion groups, but it still isn't the same
as a proper newsgroup.

Cheers
Martin
April 29, 2004 2:41:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hello Ladies/Gentlemen
Some facts and history are in order here.
The reason for the lock-down was an invasion of "sock-puppets." They
were abusing the discussion areas and causing no end of headaches for
the owner. The supporting members are still able to post because their
identity is verifiable. The lock-down had Nothing - repeat Nothing -
repeat Nothing - to do with who did or did not send money to the
editor. The money sent to the editor was originally intended to help
pay for the medical costs of a young new-born baby with serious
medical problems (not the editors').
The amount of money sent was variable and no one was forced to send
money. The supporting membership has no real perks, but the editor of
TMP can certainly verify their identity and that's the only reason
they can still post in the discussion areas.
The editor has also made it clear that this is a temporary device to
halt the "sock-puppet" assualt.
The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the "sock-puppets" and not
on the Editor of TMP or the supporting members of TMP.
I'm amazed at people who will spend hours, days, weeks, or months
looking for information about the correct shade of blue worn by
Silesian Landwehr in August of 1813, but will lend no such effort to
the discovery of facts in other areas of their lives. The history of
this lock-down is available on TMP, but it's only helpful when people
read it and understand it.
We're into the third month of a cease-fire here on RGMH. Fortunately
most folks here are so enamored with their thoughts and writings that
we don't use "sock puppets." Think how much more unpleasant this venue
would be if we ended the ceasfire and used "sock puppets" in addition
to our real identities. If people thought it was intolerable before
the ceasefire, it would become unbearable with the use of "sock
puppets."
Cheers
NJH
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 3:02:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Ooops sorry, I sent this reply to Justin personally instead of the
newsgroup. That wasn't my intent, just hit the wrong button. Sorry Justin.

"Yes, I think that's exactly what he means. That's the great thing about
TMP.
It's available to people from all walks of life, all countries etc. Everyone
can participate. I think that's a good thing, because then we can all learn.
I really don't think we need another exclusive country club."


"Justin Taylor" <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c6qar6$ers$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >Most post I've
> >seen have been from non-supporting members
>
> You mean people who pay nothing but want to have their say?
>
> --
> Justin Taylor
> justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk
>
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 4:16:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

But no pictures allowed here, which does make it kind of dull!

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk
April 29, 2004 4:16:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:16:44 +0100, "Justin Taylor"
<justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>But no pictures allowed here, which does make it kind of dull!
Actually, Justin you can attach pictures that can be accessed with a
newsreader.

I think some of you have missed the point I've tried to make. If it
were fiscally possible for me, I would support TMP without a problem!

But as I stated previously, if most of the posters are non-supporters,
what kind of a situation does that put TMP in? Imagine if there's less
visitors and dramatically reduced postings, how much advertising
dollars will TMP lose? When all you have to do is go to a company
website every so often, those companies will deem it unneccessary to
advertise at TMP.

This is probably a moot point as the lock-up has been removed, but...
April 29, 2004 10:50:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

What is a "sock puppet"?
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 10:50:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

"DM" <david.manley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:c6rip1$d0u$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> What is a "sock puppet"?
>

Sock Puppet: One or more fradulent on-line identity(s) created using
anonymous services such as hotmail that are used to post typically
supportive or confirming statements to a newgroup or discussion forum in
order to bolster the faking person's original argument or position.

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
April 30, 2004 1:00:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Thanks!


> Sock Puppet: One or more fradulent on-line identity(s) created using
> anonymous services such as hotmail that are used to post typically
> supportive or confirming statements to a newgroup or discussion forum in
> order to bolster the faking person's original argument or position.
>
> --
> MJB
>
> Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
> http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
>
>
>
April 30, 2004 2:03:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

"MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote in message news:<c6rjnq0l94@news3.newsguy.com>...
> "DM" <david.manley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:c6rip1$d0u$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> > What is a "sock puppet"?
> >
>
> Sock Puppet: One or more fradulent on-line identity(s) created using
> anonymous services such as hotmail that are used to post typically
> supportive or confirming statements to a newgroup or discussion forum in
> order to bolster the faking person's original argument or position.

Very enlightning.

That might explain the strange outcome of some discussion elsewhere.
Some people can't even play fair on a straight discussion: I can image
them as club players... Arghh.

Jerb
!