Thoughts on Message Board Lock-out on The Miniatures Page

I've always thought that supporting this page would be appropriate for
the obvious reasons, but locking the message board to non-supporting
members...well I don't think that's a very smart idea. Most post I've
seen have been from non-supporting members! One of two things will
happen:

It'll go the way of the Dodo

or

It'll be a pretty dull place to visit...
12 answers Last reply
More about thoughts message board lock miniatures page
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    I don't post on TMP that often, but I agree that if the message boards are
    locked-down permanently, I will visit a lot less.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    >Most post I've
    >seen have been from non-supporting members

    You mean people who pay nothing but want to have their say?

    --
    Justin Taylor
    justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

    "BigBoy" <bigboy@overthere.net> wrote in message
    > I've always thought that supporting this page would be appropriate for
    > the obvious reasons, but locking the message board to non-supporting
    > members...well I don't think that's a very smart idea.

    I think it's an excellent idea.
    If all those other forum pages and yahoo newsgroups would make it difficult
    to post I think that'd be great as well.
    Because it'd mean more people used newsgroups.
    Newsgroups are far more efficient and just the one place to discuss things
    would be great.

    --
    Regards,
    Andy O'Neill

    "Andy O'Neill" <aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "BigBoy" <bigboy@overthere.net> wrote in message
    > > I've always thought that supporting this page would be appropriate for
    > > the obvious reasons, but locking the message board to non-supporting
    > > members...well I don't think that's a very smart idea.
    >
    > I think it's an excellent idea.
    > If all those other forum pages and yahoo newsgroups would make it
    difficult
    > to post I think that'd be great as well.
    > Because it'd mean more people used newsgroups.
    > Newsgroups are far more efficient and just the one place to discuss things
    > would be great.

    Hear, hear. I loath and detest web based bulletin boards, although I do
    occasionally post my comments on TMP, if they want to lock out 70% of their
    discussion contributors for not paying, then thats fine. The danger is of
    course that people will just switch to yahoogroups in an even bigger way and
    poor old r.g.m.h will wither even more. I don't mind the yahoogroups email
    lists quite so much web based discussion groups, but it still isn't the same
    as a proper newsgroup.

    Cheers
    Martin
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hello Ladies/Gentlemen
    Some facts and history are in order here.
    The reason for the lock-down was an invasion of "sock-puppets." They
    were abusing the discussion areas and causing no end of headaches for
    the owner. The supporting members are still able to post because their
    identity is verifiable. The lock-down had Nothing - repeat Nothing -
    repeat Nothing - to do with who did or did not send money to the
    editor. The money sent to the editor was originally intended to help
    pay for the medical costs of a young new-born baby with serious
    medical problems (not the editors').
    The amount of money sent was variable and no one was forced to send
    money. The supporting membership has no real perks, but the editor of
    TMP can certainly verify their identity and that's the only reason
    they can still post in the discussion areas.
    The editor has also made it clear that this is a temporary device to
    halt the "sock-puppet" assualt.
    The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the "sock-puppets" and not
    on the Editor of TMP or the supporting members of TMP.
    I'm amazed at people who will spend hours, days, weeks, or months
    looking for information about the correct shade of blue worn by
    Silesian Landwehr in August of 1813, but will lend no such effort to
    the discovery of facts in other areas of their lives. The history of
    this lock-down is available on TMP, but it's only helpful when people
    read it and understand it.
    We're into the third month of a cease-fire here on RGMH. Fortunately
    most folks here are so enamored with their thoughts and writings that
    we don't use "sock puppets." Think how much more unpleasant this venue
    would be if we ended the ceasfire and used "sock puppets" in addition
    to our real identities. If people thought it was intolerable before
    the ceasefire, it would become unbearable with the use of "sock
    puppets."
    Cheers
    NJH
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Ooops sorry, I sent this reply to Justin personally instead of the
    newsgroup. That wasn't my intent, just hit the wrong button. Sorry Justin.

    "Yes, I think that's exactly what he means. That's the great thing about
    TMP.
    It's available to people from all walks of life, all countries etc. Everyone
    can participate. I think that's a good thing, because then we can all learn.
    I really don't think we need another exclusive country club."

    "Justin Taylor" <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >Most post I've
    > >seen have been from non-supporting members
    >
    > You mean people who pay nothing but want to have their say?
    >
    > --
    > Justin Taylor
    > justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    But no pictures allowed here, which does make it kind of dull!

    --
    Justin Taylor
    justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:16:44 +0100, "Justin Taylor"
    <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >But no pictures allowed here, which does make it kind of dull!
    Actually, Justin you can attach pictures that can be accessed with a
    newsreader.

    I think some of you have missed the point I've tried to make. If it
    were fiscally possible for me, I would support TMP without a problem!

    But as I stated previously, if most of the posters are non-supporters,
    what kind of a situation does that put TMP in? Imagine if there's less
    visitors and dramatically reduced postings, how much advertising
    dollars will TMP lose? When all you have to do is go to a company
    website every so often, those companies will deem it unneccessary to
    advertise at TMP.

    This is probably a moot point as the lock-up has been removed, but...
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    What is a "sock puppet"?
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "DM" <david.manley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > What is a "sock puppet"?

    Sock Puppet: One or more fradulent on-line identity(s) created using
    anonymous services such as hotmail that are used to post typically
    supportive or confirming statements to a newgroup or discussion forum in
    order to bolster the faking person's original argument or position.

    --
    MJB

    Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
    http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Thanks!

    > Sock Puppet: One or more fradulent on-line identity(s) created using
    > anonymous services such as hotmail that are used to post typically
    > supportive or confirming statements to a newgroup or discussion forum in
    > order to bolster the faking person's original argument or position.
    >
    > --
    > MJB
    >
    > Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
    > http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote in message news:<c6rjnq0l94@news3.newsguy.com>...
    > "DM" <david.manley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > What is a "sock puppet"?
    > >

    > Sock Puppet: One or more fradulent on-line identity(s) created using
    > anonymous services such as hotmail that are used to post typically
    > supportive or confirming statements to a newgroup or discussion forum in
    > order to bolster the faking person's original argument or position.

    Very enlightning.

    That might explain the strange outcome of some discussion elsewhere.
    Some people can't even play fair on a straight discussion: I can image
    them as club players... Arghh.

    Jerb

Games Video Games