language settings

I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of Windows
XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language of menu bars,
messages, the help centre & so forth from English to Spanish. Is this
possible? How may it be done?

kelly

Not really. Perhaps you could find a Windows exchange program? <J/K>

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Matthew Swanson" <Matthew Swanson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D42AA964-8815-4805-9D0C-8FEB8A2AC038@microsoft.com...
>I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
>Windows
> XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language of menu
> bars,
> messages, the help centre & so forth from English to Spanish. Is this
> possible? How may it be done?

It can be done in 2 ways.
1) you buy the a version of windows that is in the lang you want and install
that.
2) You find the MUI package for XP in the lang you want and install that.
MUI is multi user interface and can be found only from OEM providers of XP
since there is not a download for it and MS does not sell it.

Since it is hard to obtain you can try looking on the p2p networks for it,
like the edonkey one using a client like emule (www.emule-project.net/).
Have in mind that probably this is not legal since swapping software from
p2p networks may infringe copyrights. I am not sure about MUI since MS does
not sell it.. but you can look it up.
The best and sure way is to ask from an OEM provider close to you to try to
get it for you on cd.

You just install that and from the control panel you select the lang you
want to use. This works ONLY if your original XP is in ENGLISH.

--
Kenfucious said:

Michael Jackson has been vindicated.

The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
"Matthew Swanson" <Matthew Swanson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D42AA964-8815-4805-9D0C-8FEB8A2AC038@microsoft.com...
>I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
>Windows
> XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language of menu
> bars,
> messages, the help centre & so forth from English to Spanish. Is this
> possible? How may it be done?

note if you install emule etc be prepared for the barrage of viruses and
spyware that you will get
--
there are no problems just challenges

"Kenn S" wrote:

> It can be done in 2 ways.
> 1) you buy the a version of windows that is in the lang you want and install
> that.
> 2) You find the MUI package for XP in the lang you want and install that.
> MUI is multi user interface and can be found only from OEM providers of XP
> since there is not a download for it and MS does not sell it.
>
> Since it is hard to obtain you can try looking on the p2p networks for it,
> like the edonkey one using a client like emule (www.emule-project.net/).
> Have in mind that probably this is not legal since swapping software from
> p2p networks may infringe copyrights. I am not sure about MUI since MS does
> not sell it.. but you can look it up.
> The best and sure way is to ask from an OEM provider close to you to try to
> get it for you on cd.
>
> You just install that and from the control panel you select the lang you
> want to use. This works ONLY if your original XP is in ENGLISH.
>
> --
> Kenfucious said:
>
> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>
> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> "Matthew Swanson" <Matthew Swanson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D42AA964-8815-4805-9D0C-8FEB8A2AC038@microsoft.com...
> >I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
> >Windows
> > XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language of menu
> > bars,
> > messages, the help centre & so forth from English to Spanish. Is this
> > possible? How may it be done?

No this is not correct, emule has no spyware or viruses at all.
Perhaps a file you will download may have them, but if you scan with an
antivirus
(avast home free version scans p2p programs automatically) and be carful
what you install
you will not have a problem. I have never had a problem.

--

Matthew Swanson wrote:
> I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
> Windows XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language
> of menu bars, messages, the help centre & so forth from English to
> Spanish. Is this possible? How may it be done?

By purchasing it in Spanish and either dual-booting or performing a clean
installation.

There is no other way. Those who mentioned an MUI pack are giving you false
hope; it is only available for Volume, and Open, Licence customers.

O offered him an alternative solution... read my post.

--

> Matthew Swanson wrote:
>> I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
>> Windows XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language
>> of menu bars, messages, the help centre & so forth from English to
>> Spanish. Is this possible? How may it be done?
>
> By purchasing it in Spanish and either dual-booting or performing a clean
> installation.
>
> There is no other way. Those who mentioned an MUI pack are giving you
> false hope; it is only available for Volume, and Open, Licence customers.

Only if you install the right language version of the OS. We are talking about the OS not Office or mail client

--
Peter

"Ken ---> Knight Of The King Of Pop" <mjj@mijack.co> wrote in message news:42d798d4_2@newsgate.x-privat.org...
> O offered him an alternative solution... read my post.
>
> --
> Kenfucious said:
>
> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>
> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> > Matthew Swanson wrote:
> >> I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
> >> Windows XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language
> >> of menu bars, messages, the help centre & so forth from English to
> >> Spanish. Is this possible? How may it be done?
> >
> > By purchasing it in Spanish and either dual-booting or performing a clean
> > installation.
> >
> > There is no other way. Those who mentioned an MUI pack are giving you
> > false hope; it is only available for Volume, and Open, Licence customers.

jeff

You are wrong. It is available. Search google and it will turn up. Stop
giving bad advice.

> Matthew Swanson wrote:
>> I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
>> Windows XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language
>> of menu bars, messages, the help centre & so forth from English to
>> Spanish. Is this possible? How may it be done?
>
> By purchasing it in Spanish and either dual-booting or performing a clean
> installation.
>
> There is no other way. Those who mentioned an MUI pack are giving you
> false hope; it is only available for Volume, and Open, Licence customers.

>Only if you install the right language version of the OS.

Wrong.

There is MUI for windows XP and windows 2003 server (and w2k) these are for
the OS of course.
I have it installed on my windows XP now.
I am not talking about email or office. There is of course MUI for Office,
media player, windows messenger etc.

--

Only if you install the right language version of the OS. We are talking
about the OS not Office or mail client

--
Peter

"Ken ---> Knight Of The King Of Pop" <mjj@mijack.co> wrote in message
> O offered him an alternative solution... read my post.
>
> --
> Kenfucious said:
>
> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>
> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view,
> since
> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a
> point
> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> > Matthew Swanson wrote:
> >> I recently purchased a system which came with a pre-installed copy of
> >> Windows XP Home Edition. However, I would like to change the language
> >> of menu bars, messages, the help centre & so forth from English to
> >> Spanish. Is this possible? How may it be done?
> >
> > By purchasing it in Spanish and either dual-booting or performing a
> > clean
> > installation.
> >
> > There is no other way. Those who mentioned an MUI pack are giving you
> > false hope; it is only available for Volume, and Open, Licence
> > customers.

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

If you have been for some times on the newsgroups you will see that she
ALWAYS is very insulting or gives bad/incorrect advise.

It makes me sick.