How do I enable DMA on SATA hard disk

July 15, 2005 8:03:47 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running xp pro with all updates.
I have 2 SATA hard drives on my system: c: and d:
Now DMA is activated on c: but not d:
I have tried getting into the disk mangement utilities provided with xp
but there is no option to change the drive to DMA.

I have tried uninstalling d: drive and rebooting the computer but this
also hasn't enabled DMA.

I have run out of ideas so any help greatly appreciated.
TIA
ricardo
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:03:48 PM

DMA doesnt run as fast as the default settings on a SATA drive,DMA mode
runs on IDE drives limited to 100 or 133mbs,where as a SATA drive runs in
default at 150mbs.Youre BIOS should give you options.

"ricardo" wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running xp pro with all updates.
> I have 2 SATA hard drives on my system: c: and d:
> Now DMA is activated on c: but not d:
> I have tried getting into the disk mangement utilities provided with xp
> but there is no option to change the drive to DMA.
>
> I have tried uninstalling d: drive and rebooting the computer but this
> also hasn't enabled DMA.
>
> I have run out of ideas so any help greatly appreciated.
> TIA
> ricardo

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:03:49 PM

Good advice. Just learn to use the capitalization. "mbs" could easily be
interpreted as millibits per second. The capitalization of the first two
letters "MB" will automatically be inferred as megabytes, or MB/s.

> DMA doesnt run as fast as the default settings on a SATA drive,DMA mode
> runs on IDE drives limited to 100 or 133mbs,where as a SATA drive runs in
> default at 150mbs.Youre BIOS should give you options.
>
> "ricardo" wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running xp pro with all updates.
> > I have 2 SATA hard drives on my system: c: and d:
> > Now DMA is activated on c: but not d:
> > I have tried getting into the disk mangement utilities provided with xp
> > but there is no option to change the drive to DMA.
> >
> > I have tried uninstalling d: drive and rebooting the computer but this
> > also hasn't enabled DMA.
> >
> > I have run out of ideas so any help greatly appreciated.
> > TIA
> > ricardo

July 15, 2005 11:09:13 PM

Andrew E. wrote:
> DMA doesnt run as fast as the default settings on a SATA drive,DMA mode
> runs on IDE drives limited to 100 or 133mbs,where as a SATA drive runs in
> default at 150mbs.Youre BIOS should give you options.
>
> "ricardo" wrote:
>

>>I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running xp pro with all updates.
>>I have 2 SATA hard drives on my system: c: and d:
>>Now DMA is activated on c: but not d:
>>I have tried getting into the disk mangement utilities provided with xp
>>but there is no option to change the drive to DMA.
>>
>>I have tried uninstalling d: drive and rebooting the computer but this
>>also hasn't enabled DMA.
>>
>>I have run out of ideas so any help greatly appreciated.
>>TIA
>>ricardo

My BIOS gives me jackshit options for my drive settings. And although
you say that SATA runs at 150mbs the 2nd drive still says it's DMA off.
!