Sign in with
Your question

Digital Coax or HDMI ?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 23, 2008 3:02:18 AM

Hi !

I just bought a Denon 2808 with a pair of Canton Speaker (Ill complete the surround later). Now, I want to plug my PC to the receiver for HD playback (Blu-ray, HDDVD), but I dont know which option is the better !

Option 1 : I have an HD 3870, so the video is send via the HDMI adapter. I can send the sound via the HDMI.

Option 2 : I have a Creative XFI Xtremegamer, and I can use the digital output to send the sound via a Digital Coax cable.

The analog output of the Creative are used by a Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1, so I cant use analog output.

Thanks for the help :) 

More about : digital coax hdmi

February 23, 2008 4:56:06 PM

If it just me I'll remove the Klipsch and use the connector for the 2808. It has a better processor the the klipsch have.

Hoever I haven't try using and HDMI connection from the PC but if it works then use it to connect to the Reciever then reciever to TV.

February 29, 2008 3:20:43 PM

i am very much interested if HDMI works, so post back when you have a chance, Phyl.

Quality-wise there is no difference between HDMI audio and digital audio over coax. It is the same digital stream.

Related resources
March 1, 2008 5:07:04 PM

Yes sounds via HDMI works perfectly. However, for some reason its only 2 channel (Front Left and Right), but since right now im only in Stereo, its not a problem. Cant wait to try it with a sub. :) 
March 14, 2008 5:42:47 AM

370261,2,60833 said:
If it just me I'll remove the Klipsch and use the connector for the 2808. It has a better processor the the klipsch have.quotemsg]

I don't know why I meant one thing and said other thing. I apologize for confusion.
I meant to say Creative S/PDIF to 2808 and use its decoder. Use the 2808 analog for the klipsch. But if you want the EAX from Creative then don't move the klipsch speakers.
!