Hooking a PC up to a Reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

topher219

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Alright Im kinda new to this whole thing of not just buying a computer speaker set ready in box, but actually getting a reciever and speakers to make my own stereo system. Im looking at the Onkyo TX-SR705 Reciever and speakers that Ive yet to decide on. Ive been trying to figure out how to hook up the reciever to my PC. Not sure how to do it. Do I use my video card and hook it up that way or do I go through my SoundCard. Just so you know Ill be getting the 8800gts(g92)512 and looking at the Creative 7.1 Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion.

Any info and advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Using old term or literally you only need a stereo signal (left and right channel)?

Option 1 - Connect X-Fi analog signal (minijack) to reciever input (RCA) Note: 6.1 and 7.1 uses Creative proprietary cabling. If watching movies or listenning to music, use Creative decoder.

Option 2 - Use the digital connection from the soundcard and connect it to SPDIF in to your receiver. Minijack to RCA cable or adapter requied. This is Passthru connection and use Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver to decode.

Option 3 - Connect PC to HDMI input of your receiver using adapter. May not be posible, so check with NVIDEA if you can connect the sound card to the video card to carry audio signal through HDMI cable but ATI has this Features. This is Passthru connection and use Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver to decode. Then Receiver to TV.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Check these cards out as well, especially if you plan on listening to a lot of music or watching movies. Keep in mind the sound card is just one more source for the receiver, .e.g,. like the CD or turner. Running it in stereo is not an issue but with surround sound it depends on if the card or receiver is doing the decoder as rexter points. Polk makes nice relatively inexpensive speakers but you really need to listen to them because speakers are the most subject part of an audio system. Also get a good sub, e.g., Velodyne, makes a tremendous difference. Depending on the size of the room you can get a nice Velodyne at Circuitcity for less than $300
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16829127002
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16829271003

topher219

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Well I am going to get a 3.1 system for now. I think Im going with the Elegant Design speakers. Alot of good reviews from them. Hmm that Ht Omega looks pretty good. I do alot of gaming though so Im going to have to think aout it.

Status
Not open for further replies.