Tried to replace my harddrive...

jonnyu

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
Alright, I have a question. My 30gig hd just didn't cut it anymore so I went out to circuit city and bought a western digital 120 gig. I took out my old harddrive, put in the new one, and started the computer with the software that came with the hd. It formatted (er, partitioned?) the harddrive to 120gig and everything seemed to be going fine... It told me to reboot with the OS cd, which I did, however when Windows detected the amount of free space on my hd it looked like it said there was only 114 gig free rather than 120 (ie, this occurred when it was asking which space to install itself to - I think anyway). Is this normal? I know its only 6 gig but that's 6 gig I paid for... Anyway, currently I'm formatting the hd through win xp in hopes that it somehow frees up the extra missing space.

For the record, the screen (of the computer that is currently being formatted) says:

"Please wait while setup formats the partition

C:partion 1 (DRV1_VOL1) [NTFS] 114471 MB (114465 MB FREE)

on 114471 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]."

Any input into my situation is much appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it's a marketing trick: Hard drive companies use standard numbers, where killo means thousand, mega means million, giga means billion. File systems use computer math, killo means 1024, mega means 1024x1024, giga means 1024x1024x1024.

If you divide 120,000,000,000 by 1024, 1024, 1024, you get 111GB out of 120 billion bytes. So by giving you 114GB, they're actually "doing you a favor".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>