Window out of display and won't scroll intoo display

I have a strange problem, I must have somehow scrolled a display window in my
program out of the screen and left it there. Now the window has cut off 20%
of the side of the window and there is no way to bring it back into the
window.

If I mazimize the window size the scroll doesn't show. If I make the window
smaller so that the horizontal scroll does show it won't scroll far enough to
the left to show the missing section of the window.

This isnt a problem with the program, its a windows problem as this happened
once before and I couldnt use the program anymore due to loss of a major
function button I couldn't access. When I uninstalled the program and
reinstalled it the same problem existed.

Tim S

After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Tim S had this to say:

> I have a strange problem, I must have somehow scrolled a display window in
> my program out of the screen and left it there. Now the window has cut off
> 20% of the side of the window and there is no way to bring it back into
> the window.
>
> If I mazimize the window size the scroll doesn't show. If I make the
> window smaller so that the horizontal scroll does show it won't scroll far
> enough to the left to show the missing section of the window.
>
> This isnt a problem with the program, its a windows problem as this
> happened once before and I couldnt use the program anymore due to loss of
> a major function button I couldn't access. When I uninstalled the program
> and reinstalled it the same problem existed.
>
> Tim S

Right click on the opened window down on the taskbar and then click "move".
You can then use the arrow keys to move the window into view.

--
Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

I don't understand what, then click "move". means??
Please explain
Tim

"NoStop" wrote:

> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Tim S had this to say:
>
> > I have a strange problem, I must have somehow scrolled a display window in
> > my program out of the screen and left it there. Now the window has cut off
> > 20% of the side of the window and there is no way to bring it back into
> > the window.
> >
> > If I mazimize the window size the scroll doesn't show. If I make the
> > window smaller so that the horizontal scroll does show it won't scroll far
> > enough to the left to show the missing section of the window.
> >
> > This isnt a problem with the program, its a windows problem as this
> > happened once before and I couldnt use the program anymore due to loss of
> > a major function button I couldn't access. When I uninstalled the program
> > and reinstalled it the same problem existed.
> >
> > Tim S
>
> Right click on the opened window down on the taskbar and then click "move".
> You can then use the arrow keys to move the window into view.
>

> --
> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg

This doesnt solve the problem as I can't access "move" with right mouse click
as it's in shadow and not selectable.
Tim S

"NoStop" wrote:

> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Tim S had this to say:
>
> > I have a strange problem, I must have somehow scrolled a display window in
> > my program out of the screen and left it there. Now the window has cut off
> > 20% of the side of the window and there is no way to bring it back into
> > the window.
> >
> > If I mazimize the window size the scroll doesn't show. If I make the
> > window smaller so that the horizontal scroll does show it won't scroll far
> > enough to the left to show the missing section of the window.
> >
> > This isnt a problem with the program, its a windows problem as this
> > happened once before and I couldnt use the program anymore due to loss of
> > a major function button I couldn't access. When I uninstalled the program
> > and reinstalled it the same problem existed.
> >
> > Tim S
>
> Right click on the opened window down on the taskbar and then click "move".
> You can then use the arrow keys to move the window into view.
>

> --
> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Please see my reply at the end.

Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:

>"NoStop" wrote:
>
>> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Tim S had this to say:
>>
>> > I have a strange problem, I must have somehow scrolled a display window in
>> > my program out of the screen and left it there. Now the window has cut off
>> > 20% of the side of the window and there is no way to bring it back into
>> > the window.
>> >
>> > If I mazimize the window size the scroll doesn't show. If I make the
>> > window smaller so that the horizontal scroll does show it won't scroll far
>> > enough to the left to show the missing section of the window.
>> >
>> > This isnt a problem with the program, its a windows problem as this
>> > happened once before and I couldnt use the program anymore due to loss of
>> > a major function button I couldn't access. When I uninstalled the program
>> > and reinstalled it the same problem existed.
>> >
>> > Tim S
>>
>> Right click on the opened window down on the taskbar and then click "move".
>> You can then use the arrow keys to move the window into view.
>>
>This doesnt solve the problem as I can't access "move" with right mouse click
>as it's in shadow and not selectable.
>Tim S

What happens if you right-click on the Taskbar itself and choose Cascade
Windows? Does it move?

--
Nightowl

Hi Nightowl,
I can cascade the windows. But the problem isnt with the program it's with a
window within the program. I can move the program, minimise it, close it down
and open it, but when I got into my email window the window has cut off part
of the normal left hand side that is in view.
The program is Goldmine, a database contact manager and I think what happend
was I was scrolling to the left of right when an alarm popup came up and
because it did it cut off the email window behind it and left me with no
scroll ability. Instead on the email windown I have lost the left side by
about 20%. But only on this window itself. The program works fine in every
other way, just not with the email window.
I am starting to think its a Windows XP glithch.
Have you got any ideas as to how to fix it as I have none?
Thanks
Tim S

"Nightowl" wrote:

> Please see my reply at the end.
>
> Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:
>
> >"NoStop" wrote:
> >
> >> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Tim S had this to say:

> >> Right click on the opened window down on the taskbar and then click "move".
> >> You can then use the arrow keys to move the window into view.
> >>
> >This doesnt solve the problem as I can't access "move" with right mouse click
> >as it's in shadow and not selectable.
> >Tim S
> >

> What happens if you right-click on the Taskbar itself and choose Cascade
> Windows? Does it move?
>
> --
> Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:

>Hi Nightowl,
>I can cascade the windows. But the problem isnt with the program it's with a
>window within the program. I can move the program, minimise it, close it down
>and open it, but when I got into my email window the window has cut off part
>of the normal left hand side that is in view.
>The program is Goldmine, a database contact manager and I think what happend
>was I was scrolling to the left of right when an alarm popup came up and
>because it did it cut off the email window behind it and left me with no
>scroll ability. Instead on the email windown I have lost the left side by
>about 20%. But only on this window itself. The program works fine in every
>other way, just not with the email window.
>I am starting to think its a Windows XP glithch.
>Have you got any ideas as to how to fix it as I have none?
>Thanks
>Tim S

Hi Tim

I'm still a bit confused, as you say you've lost part of the left side
of the window, and aren't the scroll bars on the right?

But you could try:

Alt + Spacebar
Press "down arrow" (cursor key) *once*
Press Enter
Press left or right arrow keys repeatedly to try to move the window.

If this doesn't help, is there anywhere you could upload a screenshot of
the problem?

Good luck
--
Nightowl

No this didnt work. When I had my email window in using your instructions it
just acted on what was within the window and not movement of the window, i.e.
it opened the first email in the window displayed.
The window itself is offset, so in other words it looks like its scrolled to
the left, but the horizontal scroll left doesnt actually have any space to
bring it back so its missing the left section of the window.
I can't easily upload as I don't know how. I have a website but I don't know
anything much about uploading. I know it would help if I showed you a screen
shot.
I think its a Windows XP problem.
ANy other thoughts?
Tim S

"Nightowl" wrote:

> Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:
>
> >Hi Nightowl,
> >I can cascade the windows. But the problem isnt with the program it's with a
> >window within the program. I can move the program, minimise it, close it down
> >and open it, but when I got into my email window the window has cut off part
> >of the normal left hand side that is in view.
> >The program is Goldmine, a database contact manager and I think what happend
> >was I was scrolling to the left of right when an alarm popup came up and
> >because it did it cut off the email window behind it and left me with no
> >scroll ability. Instead on the email windown I have lost the left side by
> >about 20%. But only on this window itself. The program works fine in every
> >other way, just not with the email window.
> >I am starting to think its a Windows XP glithch.
> >Have you got any ideas as to how to fix it as I have none?
> >Thanks
> >Tim S
> >

> Hi Tim
>
> I'm still a bit confused, as you say you've lost part of the left side
> of the window, and aren't the scroll bars on the right?
>
> But you could try:
>
> Alt + Spacebar
> Press "down arrow" (cursor key) *once*
> Press Enter
> Press left or right arrow keys repeatedly to try to move the window.
>
> If this doesn't help, is there anywhere you could upload a screenshot of
> the problem?
>
> Good luck
> --
> Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:

>No this didnt work. When I had my email window in using your instructions it
>just acted on what was within the window and not movement of the window, i.e.
>it opened the first email in the window displayed.
>The window itself is offset, so in other words it looks like its scrolled to
>the left, but the horizontal scroll left doesnt actually have any space to
>bring it back so its missing the left section of the window.
>I can't easily upload as I don't know how. I have a website but I don't know
>anything much about uploading. I know it would help if I showed you a screen
>shot.
>I think its a Windows XP problem.
>ANy other thoughts?
>Tim S

Hi Tim

I found this while browsing around and wonder if it might be worth a
try? It's shareware but you get a free trial and it might do the trick.
.. . Please let me know if you try it and what happens.

http://www.phord.com/shoveit.html

--
Nightowl

I like your thinking. The site looked like it had the solution so I
downloaded the program and tried to run it but it doesn't help. In ther
release notes it mentions there is one bug the program doesnt fix but that
will be addressed in a future program version. I have emailed the person who
made the program for help.
Thanks for your help.
Any other ideas Nightowl?

"Nightowl" wrote:

> Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:
>
> >No this didnt work. When I had my email window in using your instructions it
> >just acted on what was within the window and not movement of the window, i.e.
> >it opened the first email in the window displayed.
> >The window itself is offset, so in other words it looks like its scrolled to
> >the left, but the horizontal scroll left doesnt actually have any space to
> >bring it back so its missing the left section of the window.
> >I can't easily upload as I don't know how. I have a website but I don't know
> >anything much about uploading. I know it would help if I showed you a screen
> >shot.
> >I think its a Windows XP problem.
> >ANy other thoughts?
> >Tim S
>

> Hi Tim
>
> I found this while browsing around and wonder if it might be worth a
> try? It's shareware but you get a free trial and it might do the trick.
> .. . Please let me know if you try it and what happens.
>
> http://www.phord.com/shoveit.html
>
> --
> Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:

>I like your thinking. The site looked like it had the solution so I
>downloaded the program and tried to run it but it doesn't help. In ther
>release notes it mentions there is one bug the program doesnt fix but that
>will be addressed in a future program version. I have emailed the person who
>made the program for help.
>Thanks for your help.
>Any other ideas Nightowl?

Well. . . two thoughts, both quite long shots. . .

If the program has a Preferences or set-up file in its folder, you could
try deleting it (after having taken a backup first, of course).

You could also search your Registry for mentions of your program; in
each key look for references to "WindowPlacement" or similar. If you
find such a value, delete it. (I know you will have backed up the Reg
first <grin>).

Other than those, I'm afraid the only thing I can think of is to
uninstall it *completely* -- making sure every Registry reference to it
is gone -- then re-install.

Wish I could be of more help.
--
Nightowl

Nightowl I have fixed the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it fixed
it.
thanks for your ideas, it got me started. This is my first time asking for
help with this site so I am not familiar with netspeak.
Tim

"Nightowl" wrote:

> Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:
>
> >I like your thinking. The site looked like it had the solution so I
> >downloaded the program and tried to run it but it doesn't help. In ther
> >release notes it mentions there is one bug the program doesnt fix but that
> >will be addressed in a future program version. I have emailed the person who
> >made the program for help.
> >Thanks for your help.
> >Any other ideas Nightowl?
>
> Well. . . two thoughts, both quite long shots. . .
>
> If the program has a Preferences or set-up file in its folder, you could
> try deleting it (after having taken a backup first, of course).
>
> You could also search your Registry for mentions of your program; in
> each key look for references to "WindowPlacement" or similar. If you
> find such a value, delete it. (I know you will have backed up the Reg
> first <grin>).
>
> Other than those, I'm afraid the only thing I can think of is to
> uninstall it *completely* -- making sure every Registry reference to it
> is gone -- then re-install.
>
> Wish I could be of more help.
> --
> Nightowl

After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Nightowl had this to say:

> Tim S wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005:
>
> Wish I could be of more help.

I wish I could just understand what the problem is that he is having. Gawd,
the OP sure appears to have a hard time communicating in an understandable
fashion.

--

Tim S wrote on Sun, 17 Jul 2005:

>Nightowl I have fixed the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it fixed
>it.
>thanks for your ideas, it got me started. This is my first time asking for
>help with this site so I am not familiar with netspeak.
>Tim

Hurrah! I'm really glad you got it fixed, Tim :)

--
Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

NoStop wrote on Sun, 17 Jul 2005:

>After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Nightowl had this to say:

Um, that would be *her* head. . . :)

--
Nightowl