The Window I am working in will randomly unselect

eguzki

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hi all,

First thank you ahead of time for your help with this issue.

I just built my first computer last week. After I installed the Windows 7 and configured it and installed all the necessary drivers everything was working great. It was first the second or third boot that I started having problems.

The problems are diverse but I think they all come from the same issue.

What happens is that when I am working in a window whether it be my internet browser or a word document or any other window for that matter, all of a sudden Windows will "unselect" that window as if I had clicked in another one. The top bar will go totally transparent and m,y key strokes are no longer registered in that window.

The other thing that happens is that when I am watching a video in full screen mode. It will pop out of full screen mode all of a sudden. This happens with all video playback programs (VLC, WMP, Netflix, etc...)

Lastly when I play a game in full screen, i.e. Skyrim, It will suddenly minimize as if I hit alt tab. Pressing alt-tap a few times will bring it back.

I looked far and wide for threads on this issue but found nothing.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much for your help in resolving this issue.

Solution

Try closing any applications that are running in the taskbar.
I had this happen recently where a wireless utility program was running and was showing in the taskbar. I closed the...

eguzki

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Unfortunately I don't have a spare keyboard. But I just unplugged it and used the computer without the keyboard and the issue persisted.

Any other thoughts...

Make sure that there are not other programs that are competing for your attention. Sometimes an updater will pop up in the background and shift the application selection from what you are currently doing to that other program, but the new program does not come up front where you would expect it.

Otherwise I would agree with mi1ez, this is normally a keyboard issue.

eguzki

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think the problem is with my keyboard. I don't have another keyboard but I used my computer for about an hour with the keyboard unplugged and the issue was still there.

I also don't think there is another application competing for my attention. I looked carefully at my task manager and processes and there doesn't seem to be an uploader or some other application shifting my application selection. Here is a screen shot of the processes when it happened:

Processessept172012.png

Try closing any applications that are running in the taskbar.
I had this happen recently where a wireless utility program was running and was showing in the taskbar. I closed the utility, and now the window that I'm in, never loses focus.

Solution

eguzki

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Thank you all for your help!

Danny, the issue was the same as yours. The problem started when I installed a new PCI wireless network card. and installed the drivers and utility. It was the TP-Link wireless configuration utility that was grabbing my attention. I closed it and now my windows never loose focus.

Thanks Again!

Yes, that's the exact same brand utility that it happend to on the computer that I was talking about, the TP link software.

WaNa_Cookie

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
i have had the exakt same problem! it was my wireless componet drivers that took attention and closed everything i just closed it down when it was running as a bakround program and it fixed it. :)

sgately2383

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I have this problem as well but don't have any wireless programs on my computer and I feel like I've tried everything! It happens on and off at random times and can be quite annoying. Any ideas?

ryanspage2010

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
hey guys!

I had this same problem (Win 8, HP ENVY m6), especially when I was typing things or watching Netflix. I combed through my running services and I noticed that there was one service starting and stopping itself constantly. I kept looking at it and noticed that it was the HP Connected Remote Service. After going to its properties in Local Services I switched the start up type to "disabled" and the problem went away!

Good luck!!

wirelesstoaster

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
I had this same problem and had searched for weeks before i found this thread. The problem is in fact the TP-Link running in the background. You must close it upon start-up and not minimize it. Thank you all for helping.

esoterik

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks for the solution! I have a TP-Link wireless card with Windows 7 as well and couldn't figure out why all my windows would deselect every couple of minutes. It made typing anything frustrating. I followed the advice above and closed the utility program that was running in the background and that fixed the problem. I was thinking the problem was wireless related but thought the adapter was faulty or the driver software buggy. In this case is was the utility itself. Hope they fix that soon.

matboy

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I had the same issue on Windows 8.1.

HP Envy Laptop. The problem was driving me insane! Every 5 seconds the program would deselect, then reselect. Often killing whatever I had typed in.

I removed the HP REMOTE SERVICE and the problem went away ASAP.

camspeed01

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

I also had this problem without a wireless program but i noticed something called cpx opening and closing. There were multiple ones open but 1 kept on opening and closing, so when it opened i selected it and ended the task and the problem went away, hope this helps.

Shaheel

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

texas190

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hi,

I was having a similar problem with Windows 8 Vista. I would be typing on a webpage and it would unselect meaning the typing would stop halfway through. I would have to click on the window before I could start typing again. 3 seconds later and the same thing would happen.

This seemed to happy after I first used a presenter, you know, one of those things that lets you skip slides when presenting with the little laser pointer thing.

I went to task manager and looked at what processes, I was running a process called Setpoint. I have searched it and it is supposedly a program from Logitech. I'm not using anything from Logitech but my old keyboard was. I can only think that there is some conflict between old and current peripherals. I stopped this process and everything is back to normal.

Grant_5

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Thank you! Had this problem the last few days and couldn't figure out what was going on. This solved it! TP link as well. Cheers mate.