Sign in with
Your question

soo...

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2005 4:13:48 AM

By this summer any new, better hdd's expected? 7.2K rpm's r getting f-in fast, my 400GB streams at 60mb/s average! We lookin at new 10K's or possibly 15K sata?

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>

More about : soo

January 12, 2005 6:17:32 AM

More 10k rpm sata, maybe. 15k rpm sata, probably not. The only thing that is going to be able to fully utilize a 15k rpm drive is ultra320 scsi. The drives would cost to much and the performance would probably not be any better than a 10k rpm drive. Even the current raptors pretty much max out the speed that sata can go.

WD will probably come out with a 147gb raptor or something.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
January 12, 2005 7:26:28 AM

Quote:
The only thing that is going to be able to fully utilize a 15k rpm drive is ultra320 scsi.

Completely FALSE. Wow, I thought you were one of the good guys, what's up with the trash talk?

With 10,000RPM SATA drives struggling to hit 100MB/s on the current 150MB/s limit, and the current transition to SATA 2 with 300MB/s, there's no reason a 15k drive WOULDN'T be able to transfer at it's maximum potential.

Not to mention the reduced latency. Have you compared any seek times lately? Certainly the interface isn't a limit there!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
January 12, 2005 7:29:17 AM

BTW, U320 SCSI is a completely useless standard for anything fewer than 3 drives per cable. The drives themselves simply aren't that fast. Oh yes, it's handy when you have a bunch of drives on the same cable, but who does that with their PC?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 12, 2005 8:18:34 AM

omg, I completely forgot about SATA 2. And so begins my brain lapse for this year :( 
I guess I really shouldn't be trying to think and post things at 2am, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
!