Sign in with
Your question

SATA drives and Windows XP installation Questions

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2005 7:22:36 AM

My current Soyo motherboard started failing after the one year waranty ended (flaky USB 2.0, dead floppy controller followed a year later by the recent death of its highpoint IDEcontroller).

I have a new motherboard that has a serial ATA controller and I have a 74GB Raptor on order.

Questions.

1) Any way I can install XP on the motherboard using one of my existing IDE drives then "Ghost" the installation over to my SATA Raptor.

2) I currrently create unattended install CDs for all my XP installations. Anyone know if its possible to press f6 and load drivers durring an unattended install?

If not does anyone know if I can add the required drivers to the unattended install CD and have it work that way?

More about : sata drives windows installation questions

a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2005 2:01:20 AM

Your Soyo probably blew capacitors. I would have fixed the board, capacitors are easy to replace.

1.) Yes, but it gets complicated. I've heard of problems with the Ghost program and have used DriveImage instead. Even then you have to plod through the options and make sure you have all the right boxes checked. It could take you anywhere from an hour to 2 days to figure out, but it can be done, I've even copied installations from RAID to a single disk. One problem I had with copying drives was that the partition could be expanded, but not shrunk, I ended up using Partition Magic to shrink the original partition prior to copying it.

2.) You can slipstream the drivers into XP. I don't know how to do that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 13, 2005 2:48:51 AM

Soyo will do an out of waranty repair for $35, but its not worth it.

A friend offered an Abit NF7-S2 for $40 (he though he was ordering an NF7-S version 2.0, nice naming scheme!).

Anyway I have been wanting a Raptor :) 

However I wouldn't mind taking a shot at repairing the Soyo. Any tips on spotting blown capacitors or any another servicible components.

I am not the handiest with a soldering iron. But I have a friend with an Electronics degree who used to trouble shoot cell tower boards for Lucent.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2005 4:28:19 AM

Most capacitors will bulge at the top or leak brown liquid at the bottom when they fail. Capacitors should have flat tops.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 15, 2005 12:39:31 AM

The Floppy Controller was the first to go. It died when I was testing my collection of used floppy drives. One drive make funny noises then the floppy power cable started melting!

Apparently something was going on via the data cable as well as the controller couldn't recognize floppy drives after that.

The highpoint raid controller went bad a year latter. It just doesn't recognize any hard drives. No problems in device manager though. Although I think my system crashes after a few hours if I leave in enabled in the BIOS.
January 18, 2005 11:54:11 AM

The unattended install of XP went just fine. I had the option to press F6 if I needed to load drives, but I would only have needed that for RAID.

My Promise Ultra 100 IDE card initially caused instability when used with Nvidia's SATA controller, until I switched to the "real" drivers rather than the ones Microsoft kept wanting to revert to.

Installing XP on a PATA drive then Ghosting to a SATA frooze durring startup. Might try it agin one day using the Recovery Console's Fixboot command?
!