Joe

If a person has a computer with two 80 GB hard drives, with the C: drive
being a single partition and the second drive having two further extensions
making a total of three partitions, what would be the situation regarding
paging files for each drive.

The system has 1 GB of RAM and three of the four drives have 'System Managed
Size ' which on each of those three is
Minimum 2 MB
Recommended 1534 MB
Total Allocation for all drives 4605 MB

Should all partitions have a Virtual Memory allocation for the paging files
or should that only
be on the C: drive.

Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

--

Regards
Joe

Hi,

You only need one allocating space for the pagefile, and my recommendation
would be the first partition on the second drive. With that much ram, usage
of the pagefile is likely to be minimal. By placing it on the secondary
drive, it will not detract from head movement on the primary (C:) when it is
used.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> If a person has a computer with two 80 GB hard drives, with the C: drive
> being a single partition and the second drive having two further
> extensions
> making a total of three partitions, what would be the situation regarding
> paging files for each drive.
>
> The system has 1 GB of RAM and three of the four drives have 'System
> Managed
> Size ' which on each of those three is
> Minimum 2 MB
> Recommended 1534 MB
> Total Allocation for all drives 4605 MB
>
> Should all partitions have a Virtual Memory allocation for the paging
> files or should that only
> be on the C: drive.
>
> Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania

Joe

Thanks Rick, so if he has only the first partition on the second drive set
to 'System Managed Size ' and the others set to ' No paging file ' he should
be OK at that?

Appreciated mate

--

Regards
Joe
> Hi,
>
> You only need one allocating space for the pagefile, and my recommendation
> would be the first partition on the second drive. With that much ram,
> usage of the pagefile is likely to be minimal. By placing it on the
> secondary drive, it will not detract from head movement on the primary
> (C:) when it is used.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> If a person has a computer with two 80 GB hard drives, with the C: drive
>> being a single partition and the second drive having two further
>> extensions
>> making a total of three partitions, what would be the situation regarding
>> paging files for each drive.
>>
>> The system has 1 GB of RAM and three of the four drives have 'System
>> Managed
>> Size ' which on each of those three is
>> Minimum 2 MB
>> Recommended 1534 MB
>> Total Allocation for all drives 4605 MB
>>
>> Should all partitions have a Virtual Memory allocation for the paging
>> files or should that only
>> be on the C: drive.
>>
>> Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania

Hi,

Yep, should be fine.

--

> Thanks Rick, so if he has only the first partition on the second drive set
> to 'System Managed Size ' and the others set to ' No paging file ' he
> should be OK at that?
>
> Appreciated mate
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania
>> Hi,
>>
>> You only need one allocating space for the pagefile, and my
>> recommendation would be the first partition on the second drive. With
>> that much ram, usage of the pagefile is likely to be minimal. By placing
>> it on the secondary drive, it will not detract from head movement on the
>> primary (C:) when it is used.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> If a person has a computer with two 80 GB hard drives, with the C: drive
>>> being a single partition and the second drive having two further
>>> extensions
>>> making a total of three partitions, what would be the situation
>>> regarding
>>> paging files for each drive.
>>>
>>> The system has 1 GB of RAM and three of the four drives have 'System
>>> Managed
>>> Size ' which on each of those three is
>>> Minimum 2 MB
>>> Recommended 1534 MB
>>> Total Allocation for all drives 4605 MB
>>>
>>> Should all partitions have a Virtual Memory allocation for the paging
>>> files or should that only
>>> be on the C: drive.
>>>
>>> Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Joe
>>> Tasmania

"Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>If a person has a computer with two 80 GB hard drives, with the C: drive
>being a single partition and the second drive having two further extensions
>making a total of three partitions, what would be the situation regarding
>paging files for each drive.
>
>The system has 1 GB of RAM and three of the four drives have 'System Managed
>Size ' which on each of those three is
>Minimum 2 MB
>Recommended 1534 MB
>Total Allocation for all drives 4605 MB
>
>Should all partitions have a Virtual Memory allocation for the paging files
>or should that only
>be on the C: drive.
>
>Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

For best performance and stability you should only have a single
paging file on each physical drive.

I would remove the paging file from *one* of the partitions on the
second drive, leaving the other. Your choice as to which to remove
and which to leave.

For the boot drive (C:) I would leave a paging file there but would
modify the settings by specifying a minimum size of 10 mb and a
maximum size of 50 mb.

Windows uses the paging file for a number of specialized functions in
addition to the paging out of inactive RAM content, and it just seems
to be happier if there is a small paging file on the boot drive.

For more detailed information on virtual memory management in Windows
XP see the article by the late Alex Nichol MVP at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Joe

Thanks Ron, I will pass your information on.

--

Regards
Joe