Startup Order

There are numerous applications such as McAfee, etc. and other McAfee
components in the startup, my question is, can you change their order in
startup and therefore control which ones activate first to last? And by doing
this can or would you be able to improve any amount of the startup
performance?

It's possible, but difficult and might make the boot sequence slower.
Many Services/Applications have dependencies - things that must
be running before others start. Startup items can load from different
locations - Registry keys, Startup Folders, Service mappings. XP
uses Prefetching to create boot time parallel operations, where all
your drivers and services start in an optimized mode.
Unfortunately, McAfee and Symantec software aren't the most sleek
and efficient software around. Both products tend to be "Bloated" &
cause extended boot cycles. For example when I used Norton AV
and Firewall on my PC the boot time would average 65-90 seconds.
After I dumped Norton for other products my cold boot to usable
desktop is 42 seconds.
I understand your situation and what you'd like to accomplish, but
your options is very limited.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> It's possible, but difficult and might make the boot sequence slower.
> Many Services/Applications have dependencies - things that must
> be running before others start. Startup items can load from different
> locations - Registry keys, Startup Folders, Service mappings. XP
> uses Prefetching to create boot time parallel operations, where all
> your drivers and services start in an optimized mode.
> Unfortunately, McAfee and Symantec software aren't the most sleek
> and efficient software around. Both products tend to be "Bloated" &
> cause extended boot cycles. For example when I used Norton AV
> and Firewall on my PC the boot time would average 65-90 seconds.
> After I dumped Norton for other products my cold boot to usable
> desktop is 42 seconds.
> I understand your situation and what you'd like to accomplish, but
> your options is very limited.
>
> "Daddio" <Daddio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There are numerous applications such as McAfee, etc. and other McAfee
> > components in the startup, my question is, can you change their order in
> > startup and therefore control which ones activate first to last? And by
> > doing
> > this can or would you be able to improve any amount of the startup
> > performance?
>

> Thanks for a great explanation, what you're saying makes total sense, the term dependencis is the key, my quest was based on one application that is very slow when botting up and I thought I could manuever it to go first.

As the saying oes "If it ain't broke, live with it" lol!!

I've used the program WinPatrol for years, which has added an option to 'delay' designated startup items in increments of 30 seconds. It supplies you with a list of startup programs and their designated commands (among other features)with several useful tabs including a 'Delayed Start' option. It also allows you to 'disable' or 'remove' designated startup items. If you're concerned about which items you'd be safe in modifying, there is a new beta program out called 'Soluto', which will analyze your startup and then show you (vis tabbed pages) the time your bootup takes, the order in which each program is loaded, and the ones that are absolutely necessary or not. None of my several computers are without these two programs. One catch tho ... in order to be able to use Soluto, you must have at least 512 RAM.

J Gordon