Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to lock the time/date on a PC

Last response: in Windows 7
September 17, 2012 2:08:07 PM

Hello,

Is there a way that I can lock time/date so that no one can change it without a password or something? I really need to be able to do this! :) 
Thanks

More about : lock time date

a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 2:16:02 PM

Corporate PC or for personal use?
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:22:32 PM

You need an admin account to change date and time so wouldn't setting a password to all admin achieve the purpose?
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 2:47:22 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Corporate PC or for personal use?

This is a Corporate PC. we need them to make certain changes IE software etc but We do not want them to change time/date......... Not on a domain or anything like that at all......
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 4:59:42 PM

bronsonj said:
This is a Corporate PC. we need them to make certain changes IE software etc but We do not want them to change time/date......... Not on a domain or anything like that at all......

What changes do they need to make in IE on a regular basis? Do they really need admin rights to be able to make these changes? A couple of suggestions.

Don't give them admin rights unless they absolutely need it.

Do they have their own accounts or is there a common account in use?

Personally I would create a new account - then using Local Security Policy > User Rights Assignments assign that account to the "Change the system time" and remove the default "Administrators" group permissions but leave the Local System. (Bit messy but if they need admin rights elsewhere it will have to do) this will have to be done on each PC.

a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 6:27:15 PM

You should be able to do this quite easily via group policy settings. Don't ask me how though; I'm on the wrong side of the corporate IT department fence... :-)
m
l
September 27, 2012 9:41:31 AM

Best answer selected by bronsonj.
m
l
!