Maxtor Diamondback 10 SATA and Asus A7V880

Dugard_BC

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
Putting together a system for a buddy that he ordered, Mainly an Asus A7V880 mobo with a 300 gig Maxtor diamondback 10 sata HD, but I cant get windows to recognize the drive in setup to install on. Is there a way to do it or is he screwed and needs another IDE drive to have as primary.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Does the drive show up in the bios? Southbridge controlled sata sometimes needs some tinkering in the bios to get it to be seen.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Are you pressing F6 durring install and loading the correct storage drivers via a floppy?

Generally you have to do this when your system disc is to be connected to anything other than the chipsets primary and secondary IDE ports.

Are you sure SATA controller is enabled in the BIOS?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Of course I've never had to use add-in drivers for my SATA drives, but that's because they're on my Intel southbridge and non-raided, so XP just sees them as IDE drives. I think the same is true of nVidia's built-in SATA controller. But nothing VIA does would surprise me.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Intel definately makes good chipsets and their close relationship with microsoft often comes in handy.

I think that Intels excellence forces VIA into the "budget" market.

When it comes to AMD systems its not uncommon for the top board to have a VIA chipset.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VIA's crapiness should be forcing them into the low end, SiS makes better chipsets than VIA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Are you talking about just Intel platforms or both AMD and Intel.

In AMD land I have had nothing but good experiences with the KT133, KT266A, KT333 and KT400 chipsets.

Lately of course evertime VIA comes out with a good AMD chipset NVIDIA has released a new Nforce that was better.

Course maybe all AMD chipsets are crap and I just don't know it. The last Intel I built was a 400mhz with a 440Bx chipset?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
KT133 had all kinds of compatability issues with graphics cards, SCSI cards, sound cards, even network cards. Most of those issues were patched, many of them by cardmakers modifying their drivers to make them VIA compatable. And nobody should have to make any product VIA compatable, VIA's a chipset company and they're supposed to make THEIR product compatable.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I bought a used KT133 after it had been out for a while which is probably why I didn't have problems.

As I recall the friend I bought has a lot of problems with his ATI all in wonder which he blamed on ATI's driver team being overly focused on Intel platforms. Never any problmes with Nvidia cards on a KT133 though.

I also remember him getting a mature KT333 motherboard when the KT400's had just become readily available, which I though was odd at the time.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Codesmith on 01/14/05 09:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>