Sign in with
Your question

Reciever A/V input Question

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 17, 2008 6:51:55 PM

This should be a simple question to answer but , since I do not own a receiver (yet) I am not able to find an answer on the net.

I am interested on hooking up my PC to a receiver but I only have a DVI output on my PC. I do have the adapter to switch DVI to HDMI but I still want surround sound.

Is it possible to use a HDMI input for picture and a S/Pdif input for sound and use both at the same time?

Here is a link to a receiver that I am looking at:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/EnlargedImage/0,,CNTID%3d5017922,00.html

*The website of the receiver I actually want is down so the above is just a back of a receiver that has all the inputs. The actual receiver i am looking at is the HTR 6190 from Yamaha.
October 19, 2008 2:40:57 PM

The question is why?

Just use S/PDIF to your receiver and DVI/HDMI straight to the TV.

-Wolf sends
October 19, 2008 3:22:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.

That is a possible solution but the TV I have has limited ports. Specifically 2 HDMI. I could do this but I was hoping to eliminate the need to use the second HDMI port for any unforeseen problems that may occur.

Plus I wanted to explore any other solutions such as the one you mentioned that I may have not thought of.

Again, thanks for the idea.
October 27, 2008 6:19:04 PM

The Yamaha should have an input setup menu that will let you chose whether you use the audio from HDMI or from one of the digital audio inputs for each input. That will let you do what you want to do.
!