Win7 Desktop Artifacts

sjm80

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
My setup:
-Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge Quad Core OCd to 4.2ghz
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
-ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Saphire Radeon HD 5770 1gb
-Windows 7 64bit

For about 3 weeks I have been having a problem where occasionally I will see a group of tiny greenish squares on my desktop. Sometimes they flash on for only a second and sometimes they will stay. If I have program open, it doesnt seem to directly affect anything in that program other than perhaps the title part if its windowed. No artifacts in games so far.

Other times my screen will completely freeze in a way where i can move the things in the background but it leaves it all ghosted and i cant do anything but reboot.

Last problem is sometimes (and much more often in the past few days) is my screen will freeze for a few seconds, go dark, then come back with a message saying "display driver stopped responding but has recovered". This happens a lot while browsing or using paintshop or other programs. Has not happened in games yet.

The card is not overheating, nor is it overclocked. It stays at about 65c-70c when gaming and 45ish when browsing.

I tried going back to an old vid driver and even the newer beta but still the same.

Also tried taking the card out and cleaning out the dust.

Im guessing the Vid card is dying, but I am wondering if it could possibly be something else. It seems strange to have no problems while gaming but problems just sitting at the desktop.

Artifacts1.jpg

artifacts at the bottom of screen

artifacts3.jpg

what i meant by ghosting

artifacts2.jpg

sometimes this happens while browsing, affects everything and have to reboot.

sjm80

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
well i was going to spend between $150-$200 on a new card, but if its not the card then i am fine with keeping the 5770 a bit longer. A good PSU shouldn't run that high right?

launchpad04

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hi there, I'm having exactly the same issue as this and have pretty much the same hardware. I have ruled out the Graphics card and ram. I'm pretty confident it's either motherboard or power supply that's at fault. Have you found a resolution yet?

rdc85

Honorable
Try replace PSU first as COLGeek" said...

It already old and u will need to replace it at this point...

meanwhile u replacing the psu try cleaning the graphic card from dust...

If changing the PSU is not working it mostly your 5770 dieing ...

launchpad04

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
thanks, for me it's def not the Graphics card as I have tried others etc and still the same thing, I really want to know if "sjm80" tried a different power supply and if it resolved the issue. I dont have easy access to another power supply at the moment.

launchpad04

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
yeap exactly the same, I get tiny green squares etc and sometime other artifacts the same as sjm80. I have the same motherboard which I suspect to be the cause. I'm just hopeing its the power supply as that will be the easiest thing to replace. I have tried new cables, diff monitor, swapped the RAM out , reseated the CPU, upgraded firmware too

rdc85

Honorable
It quite hard to said it mobo that broken but it's one possibility... for now try changing the PSU first for sjm80.. since its quite old ...

and for launchpad04 the best way is to wait and see how it goes with psu changing (if u are sure the GPU are not the fault)