Long story this one. Machine has landed in my lap, used to run with XP, now
doesn't start. So I started it with a boot disk. Deleted the only partition,
recreated the partition, formatted it and set about installing XP Pro (The
version which includes SP1)

Install went fine up to a point, all files copied over etc... I even got to
the part where it restarted and ran the part where you set your locale,
keyboard layout etc.... then it restarted again, this time it stopped on the
black screen with the windows XP logo and the moving blue bar and wouldn't
move from it. I restarted it in safe mode, which was successful, in safe
mode I set it to run in diagnostic startup mode (essential services only),
then set the 2 applications that were to run on startup not to run (some dll
thing and also something else to do with first logon) so I restarted and the
same thing happened, failed to get past the same screen. So I reset all the
startup services and applications to be what they originally were before I
tampered with them.

I then stuck in my Ultimate boot cd and started using some of the tools on
it, notably a disk surface checker (initially I thought the problem in this
machine was its old hard disk which is just rubbish and was making a lot of
noise so I put a brand new drive in it which made no difference). I then ran
a few memory checkers including memtest86 for several hours all of which had
no problems.

I am stuck here. Anyone got any idea's ?

By the way, all versions of windows fail to install, I have tried, 95, 98
and 2000 pro also. All fail whenever they try to start windows first. It
sounds like some device error but no new devices went into the machine prior
to the problems.

You may have a defective motherboard.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"quiglepops" wrote:

| Long story this one. Machine has landed in my lap, used to run with XP, now
| doesn't start. So I started it with a boot disk. Deleted the only partition,
| recreated the partition, formatted it and set about installing XP Pro (The
| version which includes SP1)
|
| Install went fine up to a point, all files copied over etc... I even got to
| the part where it restarted and ran the part where you set your locale,
| keyboard layout etc.... then it restarted again, this time it stopped on the
| black screen with the windows XP logo and the moving blue bar and wouldn't
| move from it. I restarted it in safe mode, which was successful, in safe
| mode I set it to run in diagnostic startup mode (essential services only),
| then set the 2 applications that were to run on startup not to run (some dll
| thing and also something else to do with first logon) so I restarted and the
| same thing happened, failed to get past the same screen. So I reset all the
| startup services and applications to be what they originally were before I
| tampered with them.
|
| I then stuck in my Ultimate boot cd and started using some of the tools on
| it, notably a disk surface checker (initially I thought the problem in this
| machine was its old hard disk which is just rubbish and was making a lot of
| noise so I put a brand new drive in it which made no difference). I then ran
| a few memory checkers including memtest86 for several hours all of which had
| no problems.
|
| I am stuck here. Anyone got any idea's ?
|
| By the way, all versions of windows fail to install, I have tried, 95, 98
| and 2000 pro also. All fail whenever they try to start windows first. It
| sounds like some device error but no new devices went into the machine prior
| to the problems.

I have to Agree! What Type of Motherboard is it? How Old is the Computer?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You may have a defective motherboard.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "quiglepops" wrote:
>
> | Long story this one. Machine has landed in my lap, used to run with XP, now
> | doesn't start. So I started it with a boot disk. Deleted the only partition,
> | recreated the partition, formatted it and set about installing XP Pro (The
> | version which includes SP1)
> |
> | Install went fine up to a point, all files copied over etc... I even got to
> | the part where it restarted and ran the part where you set your locale,
> | keyboard layout etc.... then it restarted again, this time it stopped on the
> | black screen with the windows XP logo and the moving blue bar and wouldn't
> | move from it. I restarted it in safe mode, which was successful, in safe
> | mode I set it to run in diagnostic startup mode (essential services only),
> | then set the 2 applications that were to run on startup not to run (some dll
> | thing and also something else to do with first logon) so I restarted and the
> | same thing happened, failed to get past the same screen. So I reset all the
> | startup services and applications to be what they originally were before I
> | tampered with them.
> |
> | I then stuck in my Ultimate boot cd and started using some of the tools on
> | it, notably a disk surface checker (initially I thought the problem in this
> | machine was its old hard disk which is just rubbish and was making a lot of
> | noise so I put a brand new drive in it which made no difference). I then ran
> | a few memory checkers including memtest86 for several hours all of which had
> | no problems.
> |
> | I am stuck here. Anyone got any idea's ?
> |
> | By the way, all versions of windows fail to install, I have tried, 95, 98
> | and 2000 pro also. All fail whenever they try to start windows first. It
> | sounds like some device error but no new devices went into the machine prior
> | to the problems.

Hi, its about 2 years old, its an MSI - 6737 (SIS 645 chipset) Combo board,
running a single stick of DDR 256MB. A geforece 3 ti 200 in the AGP slot, 1
network card.

I did notice that the power on the 3.3v rail for the motherboard was only
barely above 3.1 would that matter ?

"mydogisalab" <mydogisalab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
tools on
> > | it, notably a disk surface checker (initially I thought the problem in
this
> > | machine was its old hard disk which is just rubbish and was making a
lot of
> > | noise so I put a brand new drive in it which made no difference). I
then ran
> > | a few memory checkers including memtest86 for several hours all of
which had
> > | no problems.
> > |
> > | I am stuck here. Anyone got any idea's ?
> > |
> > | By the way, all versions of windows fail to install, I have tried, 95,
98
> > | and 2000 pro also. All fail whenever they try to start windows first.
It
> > | sounds like some device error but no new devices went into the machine

If the computer will not accept any OS, then, yes That could be one of the
problems. The way I see It, you can try something I did when I had a boot
problem, and I have not had this situation before but this might work. Can't
hurt for trying!
Find a friend's computer. Ask them if it is okay to disconnect their hard
drive first. Bring the boot CD, your hard drive, and something to ground
yourself (That is important! You do not need to send static electicity to the
motherboard or the hard drive. Especially your Friends!). Open up your
friend's computer. Ground Yourself. Look at the side panel where usually all
the CD Drives are. There should be a hard drive. Connected to it are 2
cables, power cable and data cable. Pull them out. Hook them up to your hard
drive. Power on (yes with the cover the cover of the computer off) and put in
the boot disk. Try to install! Then we can find out the root of the problem!
Tell me what Happens!

By the way Is all of your space in One Partion?

"quiglepops" wrote:

> Hi, its about 2 years old, its an MSI - 6737 (SIS 645 chipset) Combo board,
> running a single stick of DDR 256MB. A geforece 3 ti 200 in the AGP slot, 1
> network card.
>
> I did notice that the power on the 3.3v rail for the motherboard was only
> barely above 3.1 would that matter ?
>

> "mydogisalab" <mydogisalab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have to Agree! What Type of Motherboard is it? How Old is the Computer?
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > You may have a defective motherboard.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carey Frisch
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > > Microsoft Newsgroups
> > >
> > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> -----------------

> XP, now
> partition,
> (The

> got to
> locale,
> on the
> wouldn't
> safe
> only),
> (some dll
> and the
> all the
> before I

> tools on
> this
> lot of
> then ran
> which had

> 98
> It
> prior

Motherboard is an MSI-6737 Combo using 256MB DDR PC2100. GF3 Ti 200 64mb
GFX, Celeron 1.7Ghz.

Its about 1.5-2 yrs old.