restore points-how far back

How far back does system restore? How do you control how far back to keep
restor points? I have been trying to fix a problem since February and want
to go back to before then and my restore only goes back to April..I have not
knowingly deleted any restore functions.

Speaking of which... are there any (non MS, obviously) restore point
managers worth recommending? I.e. ones that would allow access to the
stored points, archiving them, deleting selected ones, etc... (In W98 I
regularly backed up system.dat and user.dat, and, if there were any
trouble, I started up in DOS and copied those backups over the ones in
the windows dir... I doubt anything of the sort would be possible in
XP... :-\)

It's based on the percentage allocation of your System partition and
how many points have been created. It's doubtful you would ever
be successful in restoring back that many months. What problem ?
maybe there's a solution outside of SR.

"Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How far back does system restore? How do you control how far back to keep
> restor points? I have been trying to fix a problem since February and
> want
> to go back to before then and my restore only goes back to April..I have
> not
> knowingly deleted any restore functions.

My Internet Explorer is set for my default but when I go on the internet with
my Net Zero Connection the Internet Explorer window no longer opens
automatically..I have to open it by clicking on the blue E. Even then, the
"back" function does not always work. Net Zero says I have a
conflict--can't seem to find one. They told me to uninstall and I did via
add/remove..then they said to fully delete the Net Zero folder and when I did
that I got a message that hook.dll and am.dll were unaccessable and I could
not delete the folder. Now, Net Zero does not appear in the add/remove..but
it works but the same problem occurs with the IE not opening. I tried to
overinstall Net Zero but it tells me the program is running--and it is not to
my eyes. I am in CT and trying to help my brother who lives in Florida with
only a dial up connection...any other suggestions?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> It's based on the percentage allocation of your System partition and
> how many points have been created. It's doubtful you would ever
> be successful in restoring back that many months. What problem ?
> maybe there's a solution outside of SR.
>
> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How far back does system restore? How do you control how far back to keep
> > restor points? I have been trying to fix a problem since February and
> > want
> > to go back to before then and my restore only goes back to April..I have
> > not
> > knowingly deleted any restore functions.

O.K. - Thanks for posting the details. I think I follow your problem.
I'm not sure if it's your PC or your brother's in Florida, but anyway
you're saying that IE isn't handling default browser hooks/calls.
Many ISP's provide software to make the Internet easier. The issue
is that most have a "Central" interface to access mail, web and many
times these are based on IE code. Most of the ISP's software isn't
really required. XP provides natively everything you need. However
some ISP's use a custom dialer and network setup. (AOL, PeoplePC).
If you've uninstalled NetZero, it's likely some components are still on
the PC that's trying to use the NetZero interface software.
Have you tried opening IE, Tools, Internet Options,Advanced &
clicked the "Reset Defaults" button ? Also click the Programs (TAB)
and make sure the option box "IE should check to see whether it is
the default browser" is checked, then Apply & OK.

> My Internet Explorer is set for my default but when I go on the internet
> with
> my Net Zero Connection the Internet Explorer window no longer opens
> automatically..I have to open it by clicking on the blue E. Even then,
> the
> "back" function does not always work. Net Zero says I have a
> conflict--can't seem to find one. They told me to uninstall and I did via
> add/remove..then they said to fully delete the Net Zero folder and when I
> did
> that I got a message that hook.dll and am.dll were unaccessable and I
> could
> not delete the folder. Now, Net Zero does not appear in the
> add/remove..but
> it works but the same problem occurs with the IE not opening. I tried to
> overinstall Net Zero but it tells me the program is running--and it is not
> my eyes. I am in CT and trying to help my brother who lives in Florida
> with
> only a dial up connection...any other suggestions?
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> It's based on the percentage allocation of your System partition and
>> how many points have been created. It's doubtful you would ever
>> be successful in restoring back that many months. What problem ?
>> maybe there's a solution outside of SR.
>>
>> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How far back does system restore? How do you control how far back to
>> > keep
>> > restor points? I have been trying to fix a problem since February and
>> > want
>> > to go back to before then and my restore only goes back to April..I
>> > have
>> > not
>> > knowingly deleted any restore functions.

Thank You...It is my brothers computer in Florida that has the problem. I
have already done as you suggested and the problem remains. I have even
deleted the internet connection and let the connection recreate when he goes
on agian and he gets on fine but IE still is not acting properly nor is the
program listed in Add/remove but if he uses the Net Zero shortcut on his
desktop he is able to get on the internet. Is there any way to delete that
folder that contains the .hook.dll and the am.dll so he can again try to
re-install? I am leary of deleting.dll's..don;t know much about then other
than NOT to delete. All this started when he updated from one New Zero
version to a higher version but of cource NZ says it's not their issue. He
also at that time, started keeping his PC on using the energy portion to turn
off the screen etc. any clues there or just co-insidence?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> O.K. - Thanks for posting the details. I think I follow your problem.
> I'm not sure if it's your PC or your brother's in Florida, but anyway
> you're saying that IE isn't handling default browser hooks/calls.
> Many ISP's provide software to make the Internet easier. The issue
> is that most have a "Central" interface to access mail, web and many
> times these are based on IE code. Most of the ISP's software isn't
> really required. XP provides natively everything you need. However
> some ISP's use a custom dialer and network setup. (AOL, PeoplePC).
> If you've uninstalled NetZero, it's likely some components are still on
> the PC that's trying to use the NetZero interface software.
> Have you tried opening IE, Tools, Internet Options,Advanced &
> clicked the "Reset Defaults" button ? Also click the Programs (TAB)
> and make sure the option box "IE should check to see whether it is
> the default browser" is checked, then Apply & OK.
>

> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Internet Explorer is set for my default but when I go on the internet
> > with
> > my Net Zero Connection the Internet Explorer window no longer opens
> > automatically..I have to open it by clicking on the blue E. Even then,
> > the
> > "back" function does not always work. Net Zero says I have a
> > conflict--can't seem to find one. They told me to uninstall and I did via
> > add/remove..then they said to fully delete the Net Zero folder and when I
> > did
> > that I got a message that hook.dll and am.dll were unaccessable and I
> > could
> > not delete the folder. Now, Net Zero does not appear in the
> > add/remove..but
> > it works but the same problem occurs with the IE not opening. I tried to
> > overinstall Net Zero but it tells me the program is running--and it is not
> > my eyes. I am in CT and trying to help my brother who lives in Florida
> > with
> > only a dial up connection...any other suggestions?
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> It's based on the percentage allocation of your System partition and
> >> how many points have been created. It's doubtful you would ever
> >> be successful in restoring back that many months. What problem ?
> >> maybe there's a solution outside of SR.
> >>
> >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Frustrating isn't it, when companies point the "Finger" at some other
part of the PC and claim it isn't their fault - Usually a sign of a rampant
condition called "Convenient Stupidity".

Does your brother have his PC backed up ?, even minimally ?.
Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be install NetZero (same version)
as pre-existed, to the same folder and then try a uninstall. If NetZero
uses a .msi you might download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool
to try and untangle NetZero.

If he can get on the Internet are you using Remote Assistance to access
the PC and work on it or doing it over the Phone (which would try the
patience of a Saint).

The problem is always digging yourself deeper in the hole.

> [...]
>> > the
>> > "back" function does not always work. Net Zero says I have a
>> > conflict--can't seem to find one. They told me to uninstall and I did
>> > via
>> > add/remove..then they said to fully delete the Net Zero folder and when
>> > did
>> > that I got a message that hook.dll and am.dll were unaccessable and I
>> > could
>> > not delete the folder. Now, Net Zero does not appear in the
>> > add/remove..but
>> > it works but the same problem occurs with the IE not opening. I tried
>> > overinstall Net Zero but it tells me the program is running--and it is
>> > not
>> > my eyes. I am in CT and trying to help my brother who lives in Florida
>> > with
>> > only a dial up connection...any other suggestions?

good idea..I think I have the quickstart of the older version that I can
email him--we will try to overinstall but if I get that message that it is
running.how do I stop it? I guess I am a saint--I love him dearly--remote
assistance will not work has he has just the dial up and it is much too slow
so YES, I am doing over the phone. How do I get that cleanup tool from
msft? Can you point me too it? Thank you again for your help..

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Frustrating isn't it, when companies point the "Finger" at some other
> part of the PC and claim it isn't their fault - Usually a sign of a rampant
> condition called "Convenient Stupidity".
>
> Does your brother have his PC backed up ?, even minimally ?.
> Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be install NetZero (same version)
> as pre-existed, to the same folder and then try a uninstall. If NetZero
> uses a .msi you might download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool
> to try and untangle NetZero.
>
> If he can get on the Internet are you using Remote Assistance to access
> the PC and work on it or doing it over the Phone (which would try the
> patience of a Saint).
>
> The problem is always digging yourself deeper in the hole.
>
> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank You...It is my brothers computer in Florida that has the problem.
> > have already done as you suggested and the problem remains. I have even
> > deleted the internet connection and let the connection recreate when he
> > goes
> > on agian and he gets on fine but IE still is not acting properly nor is
> > the
> > program listed in Add/remove but if he uses the Net Zero shortcut on his
> > desktop he is able to get on the internet. Is there any way to delete
> > that
> > folder that contains the .hook.dll and the am.dll so he can again try to
> > re-install? I am leary of deleting.dll's..don;t know much about then
> > other
> > than NOT to delete. All this started when he updated from one New Zero
> > version to a higher version but of cource NZ says it's not their issue.
> > He
> > also at that time, started keeping his PC on using the energy portion to
> > turn
> > off the screen etc. any clues there or just co-insidence?
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> O.K. - Thanks for posting the details. I think I follow your problem.
> >> I'm not sure if it's your PC or your brother's in Florida, but anyway
> >> you're saying that IE isn't handling default browser hooks/calls.
> >> Many ISP's provide software to make the Internet easier. The issue
> >> is that most have a "Central" interface to access mail, web and many
> >> times these are based on IE code. Most of the ISP's software isn't
> >> really required. XP provides natively everything you need. However
> >> some ISP's use a custom dialer and network setup. (AOL, PeoplePC).
> >> If you've uninstalled NetZero, it's likely some components are still on
> >> the PC that's trying to use the NetZero interface software.
> >> Have you tried opening IE, Tools, Internet Options,Advanced &
> >> clicked the "Reset Defaults" button ? Also click the Programs (TAB)
> >> and make sure the option box "IE should check to see whether it is
> >> the default browser" is checked, then Apply & OK.
> >>

> >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

For a clean boot, use MSConfig.Exe - Startup (TAB), you can
uncheck items, reboot and do your install, then reverse the process.

Microsoft Installer Cleanup Description & Download here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
(Download link is in the middle of the web page)

Good Luck, I understand your situation - my biggest customer list
happens to have the same last name as I do.

> good idea..I think I have the quickstart of the older version that I can
> email him--we will try to overinstall but if I get that message that it is
> running.how do I stop it? I guess I am a saint--I love him dearly--remote
> assistance will not work has he has just the dial up and it is much too
> slow
> so YES, I am doing over the phone. How do I get that cleanup tool from
> msft? Can you point me too it? Thank you again for your help..
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Frustrating isn't it, when companies point the "Finger" at some other
>> part of the PC and claim it isn't their fault - Usually a sign of a
>> rampant
>> condition called "Convenient Stupidity".
>>
>> Does your brother have his PC backed up ?, even minimally ?.
>> Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be install NetZero (same version)
>> as pre-existed, to the same folder and then try a uninstall. If NetZero
>> uses a .msi you might download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool
>> to try and untangle NetZero.
>>
>> If he can get on the Internet are you using Remote Assistance to access
>> the PC and work on it or doing it over the Phone (which would try the
>> patience of a Saint).
>>
>> The problem is always digging yourself deeper in the hole.
>>
>> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank You...It is my brothers computer in Florida that has the problem.
>> > have already done as you suggested and the problem remains. I have
>> > even
>> > deleted the internet connection and let the connection recreate when he
>> > goes
>> > on agian and he gets on fine but IE still is not acting properly nor is
>> > the
>> > program listed in Add/remove but if he uses the Net Zero shortcut on
>> > his
>> > desktop he is able to get on the internet. Is there any way to delete
>> > that
>> > folder that contains the .hook.dll and the am.dll so he can again try
>> > re-install? I am leary of deleting.dll's..don;t know much about then
>> > other
>> > than NOT to delete. All this started when he updated from one New Zero
>> > version to a higher version but of cource NZ says it's not their issue.
>> > He
>> > also at that time, started keeping his PC on using the energy portion
>> > turn
>> > off the screen etc. any clues there or just co-insidence?

thank you for the link to the clean up utility. reading about it, after I
download it should I let it clean everything it finds or it seems I can maybe
select only Net Zero..mayby do just that one?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> For a clean boot, use MSConfig.Exe - Startup (TAB), you can
> uncheck items, reboot and do your install, then reverse the process.
>
> Microsoft Installer Cleanup Description & Download here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
> (Download link is in the middle of the web page)
>
> Good Luck, I understand your situation - my biggest customer list
> happens to have the same last name as I do.
>
> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > good idea..I think I have the quickstart of the older version that I can
> > email him--we will try to overinstall but if I get that message that it is
> > running.how do I stop it? I guess I am a saint--I love him dearly--remote
> > assistance will not work has he has just the dial up and it is much too
> > slow
> > so YES, I am doing over the phone. How do I get that cleanup tool from
> > msft? Can you point me too it? Thank you again for your help..
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> Frustrating isn't it, when companies point the "Finger" at some other
> >> part of the PC and claim it isn't their fault - Usually a sign of a
> >> rampant
> >> condition called "Convenient Stupidity".
> >>
> >> Does your brother have his PC backed up ?, even minimally ?.
> >> Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be install NetZero (same version)
> >> as pre-existed, to the same folder and then try a uninstall. If NetZero
> >> uses a .msi you might download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool
> >> to try and untangle NetZero.
> >>
> >> If he can get on the Internet are you using Remote Assistance to access
> >> the PC and work on it or doing it over the Phone (which would try the
> >> patience of a Saint).
> >>
> >> The problem is always digging yourself deeper in the hole.
> >>
> >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Every windows restore point needs about 300mb (if I'm correct). Besides,
the space needed for these points is stated in the roll settings. So,
you can make just a limited number of points (one point is pushed out
by another).

--
pc_addicted

Hi,

No, and here's why:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#SaveRestorePoints

ERUNT is the recommended tool for backing up the registry in WinXP.

Here are some tips for keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

P wrote:
> Speaking of which... are there any (non MS, obviously)
> restore point managers worth recommending? I.e. ones that
> would allow access to the stored points, archiving them,
> deleting selected ones, etc... (In W98 I regularly backed
> up system.dat and user.dat, and, if there were any
> trouble, I started up in DOS and copied those backups
> over the ones in the windows dir... I doubt anything of
> the sort would be possible in XP... :-\)

Hi Old Bob,

Here is a description of System Restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/description.html

And some tips on keeping System Restore Healthy:

Old Bob wrote:
> How far back does system restore? How do you control how
> far back to keep restor points? I have been trying to
> fix a problem since February and want to go back to
> before then and my restore only goes back to April..I
> have not knowingly deleted any restore functions.

That would be my suggestion. Perhaps take an immediate System
Restore point before hand.

In news:e40NQITiFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
R. McCarty <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> typed:

> It's based on the percentage allocation of your System
> partition and
> how many points have been created. It's doubtful you would
> ever
> be successful in restoring back that many months. What problem
> ?
> maybe there's a solution outside of SR.

Over and above that percentage allocation, there's a 90-day
maximum. Even that is far too much. I wouldn't want to try to use
System Restore to go back more than a couple of weeks.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How far back does system restore? How do you control how far
>> back
>> to keep restor points? I have been trying to fix a problem
>> since
>> February and want
>> to go back to before then and my restore only goes back to
>> April..I
>> have not
>> knowingly deleted any restore functions.

Have you recently ran antivirus and spyware checks using up to date
definitions?

"Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Internet Explorer is set for my default but when I go on the internet
> with
> my Net Zero Connection the Internet Explorer window no longer opens
> automatically..I have to open it by clicking on the blue E. Even then,
> the
> "back" function does not always work. Net Zero says I have a
> conflict--can't seem to find one. They told me to uninstall and I did via
> add/remove..then they said to fully delete the Net Zero folder and when I
> did
> that I got a message that hook.dll and am.dll were unaccessable and I
> could
> not delete the folder. Now, Net Zero does not appear in the
> add/remove..but
> it works but the same problem occurs with the IE not opening. I tried to
> overinstall Net Zero but it tells me the program is running--and it is not
> my eyes. I am in CT and trying to help my brother who lives in Florida
> with
> only a dial up connection...any other suggestions?
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> It's based on the percentage allocation of your System partition and
>> how many points have been created. It's doubtful you would ever
>> be successful in restoring back that many months. What problem ?
>> maybe there's a solution outside of SR.
>>
>> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How far back does system restore? How do you control how far back to
>> > keep
>> > restor points? I have been trying to fix a problem since February and
>> > want
>> > to go back to before then and my restore only goes back to April..I
>> > have
>> > not
>> > knowingly deleted any restore functions.

I have McAFee and have automatic updates but no spyware. I hesitate to have
him scan for spyware as he is very impatient and I am not too good either of
what to keep or delete when dealing with spyware..I tried spybot on my PC and
had nothing but problems and finally uninstalled it..do you think it could be
spyware? Do you think it would be worth it to take it to a local computer
place and let them clean out any spyware he may have and try to fix the IE?
I hate to have to have the hard drive reinstalled as he has lots of things he
enjoys (he is retired) and I think he would not be able to get back all he
has....His stress level is very high at this point in his life and I am just
trying to help out...

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> Have you recently ran antivirus and spyware checks using up to date
> definitions?
>

> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Internet Explorer is set for my default but when I go on the internet
> > with
> > my Net Zero Connection the Internet Explorer window no longer opens
> > automatically..I have to open it by clicking on the blue E. Even then,
> > the
> > "back" function does not always work. Net Zero says I have a
> > conflict--can't seem to find one. They told me to uninstall and I did via
> > add/remove..then they said to fully delete the Net Zero folder and when I
> > did
> > that I got a message that hook.dll and am.dll were unaccessable and I
> > could
> > not delete the folder. Now, Net Zero does not appear in the
> > add/remove..but
> > it works but the same problem occurs with the IE not opening. I tried to
> > overinstall Net Zero but it tells me the program is running--and it is not
> > my eyes. I am in CT and trying to help my brother who lives in Florida
> > with
> > only a dial up connection...any other suggestions?
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> It's based on the percentage allocation of your System partition and
> >> how many points have been created. It's doubtful you would ever
> >> be successful in restoring back that many months. What problem ?
> >> maybe there's a solution outside of SR.
> >>
> >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you don't run ant anti-spyware software you don't know. Tell him it needs
to be run or there is a great big hole in his security for which no-one but
he has responsibility.
Just because you had some problems with any program does not mean the same
problems will be seen on any other computer does it? Adaware and Spybot are
free, try them.

>I have McAFee and have automatic updates but no spyware. I hesitate to
>have
> him scan for spyware as he is very impatient and I am not too good either
> of
> what to keep or delete when dealing with spyware..I tried spybot on my PC
> and
> had nothing but problems and finally uninstalled it..do you think it could
> be
> spyware? Do you think it would be worth it to take it to a local
> computer
> place and let them clean out any spyware he may have and try to fix the
> IE?
> I hate to have to have the hard drive reinstalled as he has lots of things
> he
> enjoys (he is retired) and I think he would not be able to get back all he
> has....His stress level is very high at this point in his life and I am
> just
> trying to help out...
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>
>> Have you recently ran antivirus and spyware checks using up to date
>> definitions?
>>

>> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My Internet Explorer is set for my default but when I go on the
>> > internet
>> > with
>> > my Net Zero Connection the Internet Explorer window no longer opens
>> > automatically..I have to open it by clicking on the blue E. Even then,
>> > the
>> > "back" function does not always work. Net Zero says I have a
>> > conflict--can't seem to find one. They told me to uninstall and I did
>> > via
>> > add/remove..then they said to fully delete the Net Zero folder and when
>> > did
>> > that I got a message that hook.dll and am.dll were unaccessable and I
>> > could
>> > not delete the folder. Now, Net Zero does not appear in the
>> > add/remove..but
>> > it works but the same problem occurs with the IE not opening. I tried
>> > overinstall Net Zero but it tells me the program is running--and it is
>> > not
>> > my eyes. I am in CT and trying to help my brother who lives in Florida
>> > with
>> > only a dial up connection...any other suggestions?

I downloaded the installed and ran it but alas Net Zero was not one of the
programs that was listed...so I guess I am out of luck. thank you for all
your efforts..

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> That would be my suggestion. Perhaps take an immediate System
> Restore point before hand.
>
> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thank you for the link to the clean up utility. reading about it, after I
> > download it should I let it clean everything it finds or it seems I can
> > maybe
> > select only Net Zero..mayby do just that one?
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> For a clean boot, use MSConfig.Exe - Startup (TAB), you can
> >> uncheck items, reboot and do your install, then reverse the process.
> >>
> >> Microsoft Installer Cleanup Description & Download here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
> >> (Download link is in the middle of the web page)
> >>
> >> Good Luck, I understand your situation - my biggest customer list
> >> happens to have the same last name as I do.
> >>
> >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

This is truly a wonderful day. I found this IE browser fix from one of your
MVP at
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#IE_Default
and that little registry fix has corrected his problem!! We have been at
this since February and what a relief to have this issue resolved. Of
cource, a restore point was immediately created and he is up and running
again. thank you for all your help!!!

TRENDING THREADS