Sign in with
Your question

Replacing the Heatsink on my Optiplex 745

Last response: in Computer Brands
November 12, 2008 1:12:06 PM

Ok heres my deal. I have 2 Optiplex 745's that I want to put nice dual slot video cards into. I run into the problem opf the Video card hitting the ABNORMALLY large heatsink assembly in the 745. What I need to know is, before I go ripping this thing apart, will a normal 3rd party heatsink/fan combo fit in this machine? If thats the case I can go buy one and take out the existing one and be able to put my cards in these machines.
November 12, 2008 7:22:05 PM

I meant the dual slot card(Cooling fan vent covers second slot). not dual cards in each one Sorry for the confusion. I am going to use a Radeon HD3800.

The Optiplex GX745 Core 2 Duo Midtower.

my first obstacle is replacing that giant Heatsink etc with a standard one so the extended length card can fit in the slot
Related resources
November 12, 2008 8:38:47 PM

The power supply isn't big enough to drive the 3800's.The HD3800 needs about between 450>550w power supply depending on model. The Dell you have only has a 310w PSU

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd3800/requirements.h...

You'd need to buy a bigger aftermarket power supply before doing anything else. Sorry...
November 12, 2008 8:46:06 PM

I've got 2 600w ones already from other machines I can use.
November 14, 2008 11:13:10 AM

Any other insight on whether or not I can put a smaller heatsink/fan on this pc without much of a problem?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2009 8:34:19 AM

Did you manage to do this.

I dud just this last night, I hacked the Case, and "Modded" :o  the Heatsink and Shroud to make the 9800GTX+ fit. Its nice and snug now, but I wonder if there is a better Solution for Disipating the Heat now that I have "Re-Arranged" the Shroud.
July 8, 2010 2:00:27 PM

I realize that this is a bit of a zombie thread, but I didn't think I should start a new thread for the same question. The answers in here ended up dealing more with the gfx cards, and not the initial question of replacing the heatsink.

I had one of these machines end up in my possession, and there's no way that massive cooling tower will fit in the case it's going in. Does the CPU in this model really need that aggressive of a cooling setup (my gaming rig doesn't even have that) or can I get by with an aftermarket LGA 775 heatsink?
August 15, 2013 10:20:03 AM

Anonymous said:
Did you manage to do this.

I dud just this last night, I hacked the Case, and "Modded" :o  the Heatsink and Shroud to make the 9800GTX+ fit. Its nice and snug now, but I wonder if there is a better Solution for Disipating the Heat now that I have "Re-Arranged" the Shroud.

Hello i am having a similar issue as well and would like to know how you hacked that heatsink shroud.
!