Very slow running computer even in safe mode

Can anyone help me out with this, have windows xp professional, and all of a
sudden it is loading and running very slow, takes 15 minutes just to get all
of desktop up. have norton anti virus and outpost firewall and i have a
microsoft spyware program all installed on it, What do i look for now??
--
Thanks For The Help
4 answers Last reply

    Even in Safe Mode ? - Check the System & Application event logs.
    Open a Command Prompt, and do a cursory Chkdsk . Also bring
    up TaskMgr and look at the System loading on the Performance
    (TAB). Are you reasonably sure the PC is free of "Baddies"

    Event Viewer:
    Click Start, Run (Type) EventVwr.Msc [Enter] Expand each category
    and look for Red Icons that denotes errors. Double-Clicking each one
    will display a brief description and Event ID #.
    Chkdsk:
    Click Start, Run (Type) Command [Enter] Click inside the command
    prompt box (Type) Chkdsk C: [Enter] check results for an indication
    that recommends Chkdsk /F (If that's the case post back before doing
    it)
    TaskMgr:
    Click Start, Run (Type) Taskmgr - Maximize, click Performance (TAB)
    Note PF Meter and CPU % usage

    "whooyagirl" <whooyagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me out with this, have windows xp professional, and all of
    > sudden it is loading and running very slow, takes 15 minutes just to get
    > all
    > of desktop up. have norton anti virus and outpost firewall and i have a
    > microsoft spyware program all installed on it, What do i look for now??
    > --
    > Thanks For The Help

    Hi

    Please try the following link:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "" wrote:
    > Can anyone help me out with this, have windows xp
    > professional, and all of a
    > sudden it is loading and running very slow, takes 15 minutes
    > just to get all
    > of desktop up. have norton anti virus and outpost firewall and
    > i have a
    > microsoft spyware program all installed on it, What do i look
    > for now??
    > --
    > Thanks For The Help

    Have you defragmented lately? If your drive is excessively fragmented,
    it may be a reason for the slow startup, system slowdown. Also clean
    out junk, you could run disk cleanup and then defrag.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-slow-running-computer-safe-mode-ftopict396238.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1306263

    Defrag isn't needed within XP. I would start by checking what is running in
    the background.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "s05s" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "" wrote:
    > > Can anyone help me out with this, have windows xp
    > > professional, and all of a
    > > sudden it is loading and running very slow, takes 15 minutes
    > > just to get all
    > > of desktop up. have norton anti virus and outpost firewall and
    > > i have a
    > > microsoft spyware program all installed on it, What do i look
    > > for now??
    > > --
    > > Thanks For The Help
    >
    > Have you defragmented lately? If your drive is excessively fragmented,
    > it may be a reason for the slow startup, system slowdown. Also clean
    > out junk, you could run disk cleanup and then defrag.

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-slow-running-computer-safe-mode-ftopict396238.html

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows XP