Open a *.pdb in the palm in textmode?

September 23, 2004 5:27:01 PM

Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?

Something like the 'cat' or 'less' command in linux, or dragging it into
Notepad in windows.

I don't have a card reader.

--
Toby

More about : open pdb palm textmode

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:27:02 PM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:27:01 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...

> Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
> directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
> have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
> inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?
>
> Something like the 'cat' or 'less' command in linux, or dragging it into
> Notepad in windows.
>
> I don't have a card reader.

I use NotePad in windows, most PDB's that I have looked at list the
Program they belong to in the header in plain text.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

# Jim Anderson
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:27:01 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...
>

> > Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
> > directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
> > have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
> > inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?
> >
> > Something like the 'cat' or 'less' command in linux, or dragging it into
> > Notepad in windows.
> >
> > I don't have a card reader.
> >

> I use NotePad in windows, most PDB's that I have looked at list the
> Program they belong to in the header in plain text.

How do I get the *.pdb from SDCard/palm/launcher into windows without a
card reader?

--
Toby
Related resources

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:40:22 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...

> # Jim Anderson
> > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:27:01 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...
> >

> > > Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
> > > directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
> > > have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
> > > inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?
> > >
> > > Something like the 'cat' or 'less' command in linux, or dragging it into
> > > Notepad in windows.
> > >
> > > I don't have a card reader.
> > >

> > I use NotePad in windows, most PDB's that I have looked at list the
> > Program they belong to in the header in plain text.
> >

> How do I get the *.pdb from SDCard/palm/launcher into windows without a
> card reader?

Palm PFB <http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm&gt; mounts the Palm and
SD card as an external drive in Windows. Comes as two parts, start the
Palm app first, then start the Win program. A window pops up, the left
side is a Windows explorer the right side is the Palm and SD card
explorer. I have used it for a while and had no crashes or other
problems on my T3 and Win 2K. Is as fast as card reader.
It is free and english version included.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 10:05:48 PM

In news:MPG.1bbce2a17510ccef989a63@localhost,
Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com> informed us:
| # Jim Anderson
|| On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:27:01 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...
||| Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
||| directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
||| have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
||| inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?
||| Something like the 'cat' or 'less' command in linux, or dragging it
||| into Notepad in windows.
||| I don't have a card reader.
|| I use NotePad in windows, most PDB's that I have looked at list the
|| Program they belong to in the header in plain text.
|
| How do I get the *.pdb from SDCard/palm/launcher into windows without
| a card reader?

You don't, but check to see if that file is in your \username\archive or
\backup folder, since preumably you synced it there at some time in the
past.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 12:36:20 AM

Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

> Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
> directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
> have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
> inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?
> [...]

iSilo will do.

(If available.)

Gruß
Uwe
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 4:51:51 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:40:22 +0100, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com>
was understood to have stated the following:

># Jim Anderson
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:27:01 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...
>>

>> > Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
>> > directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
>> > have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
>> > inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?
>> >
>> > Something like the 'cat' or 'less' command in linux, or dragging it into
>> > Notepad in windows.
>> >
>> > I don't have a card reader.
>> >

>> I use NotePad in windows, most PDB's that I have looked at list the
>> Program they belong to in the header in plain text.
>>

>How do I get the *.pdb from SDCard/palm/launcher into windows without a
>card reader?

If it's small enough to copy into your PDA's main memory, copy it
there with FileZ or FileProg, and make sure the back up bit is set.
Then HotSync; it will appear on your desktop in your user folder. Then
you can view it to your heart's content. Also, while it's in main
memory, you can use FileZ and/or FileProg to get the creator ID and
type of the database, which might spur your memory as to what the file
is.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:03:05 PM

# Toby Newman
> Using FileZ I can see a file "centre.pdb" in my SDCard/palm/launcher
> directory. I have a feeling it is a file that I put there myself and
> have forgotten about. Is there any application that will let me look
> inside the file if it is text, to remind me what it is?
>
> Something like the 'cat' or 'less' command in linux, or dragging it into
> Notepad in windows.
>
> I don't have a card reader.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. In the end, I bought a card reader -
they are considerably cheaper than I expected!

--
Toby
!