hemiram1500

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hello,

I have an old computer in my garage and was think about trying to upgrade it, it be for fun not really use it or save money because i have 2 newer computers a mac and gateway. I know this old computer is an compaq and i think the OS is windows 98 which i dont really remember using LOL. I know a little about computers but not about working on them so i need to know what i should start upgrading first, again this is for fun i know i should trash it but it would be cool to have an old computer like that still working even if just for really old games.

The problem with old computers is that everything is outdated.

Even the hard disk will be rated not in MBs, but in sectors, heads, etc - and if you multiply all those numbers to get the capacity, you will end up with probably 16 MB.

Recently, I had my 10-year old kid, dismantle 2 old computers - one was a Pentium II and the other was a DX-486 - he had fun doing it and learned a few things about the parts even though they were totally obsolete.

The two cases are being used as 1) a lamp stand, and 2) as a stand for the modem and router.

I would not recommend putting any money in any of these old obsolete computers.

depends on how old it actually is i saw 486's running windows 95 and 98 back in the day... if its anything older than A P4 then your just gonna waste money as the parts are pretty expensive to source new if at all, considering what your gonna get.

all i would do is turn it on, if it works then just use it for what ever.

if its a p4 you can still get ddr memory but its ridiculously expensive we are talking 50 notes for 512mb a 8gig-128gig hdd scisi or ide will set you back between 40 and 70 pounds new... if i was looking for a self build old school project i would try and source my local charity shops and see if they had any older hardware. or a local firm thats replacing its old hardware and just dumping it.