not in bios

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have a particular problem with a maxtor 40 gig drive. When the drive is hooked to the PC by it's self the bios will reconize it. when I set it to master or cable select and tie a cdrom in on the cable as slave or cable select the bios will not reconize it. No matter what I do it has to be by it's self. The drives are far enough apart that I have to use the blue end the goes to the pC and hook it to the CD and the middle to the Hard drive and the other end to the motherboard. This has always worked along as you set the HD to master and the cd to slave. I believe there might be something wrong with the drive. Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I have an old HP 8x CDRW which suddenly started refusing to share a cable either as master or slave.

I have also had IDE cables go bad after being creased, folded and generally manhanlded one time to many.

A nice round 24" ATA 133 cable for $5.99 wouldn't be a bad investment :)

Swaping in another optical drive and seeing if the problem disappears wouldn't be a bad idea either.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I finnaly hooked up the drives like the cables should be with the blue at Mobo and center at cd and the other end at the HD and they are working. Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?