Internet on 2 pc's

July 15, 2005 6:12:57 PM

....I've got my main PC (WinXP home) and my old PC (win 98 SE) side by
side... My main PC is online ADSL 2meg.... my kids work on the older PC for
school/homework etc but is not connected to the Internet.......

How do I get the old PC connected to my new PC for Internet usage ???
(routers - I believe) ????

Can someone please explain (components needed) what I need to do to each PC
in order to get the old PC online and linked to my 2meg ADSL connection ???

Also how much is this likely to cost (UK £) thanks.....

More about : internet

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:12:58 PM

I can not give any prices (I live in North America).

You will need one Internet Broadband router and one extra network adapter,
that is Windows 98SE compatible.

Install the network adapter into the Windows 98 SE PC.

Disconnect the ADSL unit from XP Home PC.

Connect ADSL unit to router's WAN port

Connect both PCs to router's standard LAN ports.

Follow router's user guide and configure Internet access controls on the
router (usually using an Internet browser like Internet Explorer).

"Advid" <advid@f2s.com> wrote in message
news:D b8cou$g06$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> ...I've got my main PC (WinXP home) and my old PC (win 98 SE) side by
> side... My main PC is online ADSL 2meg.... my kids work on the older PC
> for
> school/homework etc but is not connected to the Internet.......
>
> How do I get the old PC connected to my new PC for Internet usage ???
> (routers - I believe) ????
>
> Can someone please explain (components needed) what I need to do to each
> PC
> in order to get the old PC online and linked to my 2meg ADSL connection
> ???
>
> Also how much is this likely to cost (UK £) thanks.....

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:12:58 PM

http://www.legend.co.uk/support/page.php?page=161
You need a router that supports a USB modem.
--
Ron Sommer

"Advid" <advid@f2s.com> wrote in message
news:D b8cou$g06$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> ...I've got my main PC (WinXP home) and my old PC (win 98 SE) side by
> side... My main PC is online ADSL 2meg.... my kids work on the older PC
> for
> school/homework etc but is not connected to the Internet.......
>
> How do I get the old PC connected to my new PC for Internet usage ???
> (routers - I believe) ????
>
> Can someone please explain (components needed) what I need to do to each
> PC
> in order to get the old PC online and linked to my 2meg ADSL connection
> ???
>
> Also how much is this likely to cost (UK £) thanks.....

Related resources
July 15, 2005 6:36:09 PM

"Advid" <advid@f2s.com> wrote in message
news:D b8cou$g06$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> ...I've got my main PC (WinXP home) and my old PC (win 98 SE) side by
> side... My main PC is online ADSL 2meg.... my kids work on the older PC
for
> school/homework etc but is not connected to the Internet.......
>
> How do I get the old PC connected to my new PC for Internet usage ???
> (routers - I believe) ????
>
> Can someone please explain (components needed) what I need to do to each
PC
> in order to get the old PC online and linked to my 2meg ADSL connection
???

> Also how much is this likely to cost (UK £) thanks.....

Basically there are two methods.
1 - conect the two machines together with a cross-over cable and share the
internet connection .
2 - connect both machines independently eother directly to a router or via a
hub.

Both methods depend on each machine having a Network Interface Card (NIC) -
these can be obtained from £2.99 upwards at www.ebuyer.com.

have a look here:
http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/ADSL1.htm
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:43:47 PM

"Advid" <advid@f2s.com> wrote in message
news:D b8cou$g06$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> ...I've got my main PC (WinXP home) and my old PC (win 98 SE) side by
> side... My main PC is online ADSL 2meg.... my kids work on the older PC
> for
> school/homework etc but is not connected to the Internet.......
>
> How do I get the old PC connected to my new PC for Internet usage ???
> (routers - I believe) ????
>
> Can someone please explain (components needed) what I need to do to each
> PC
> in order to get the old PC online and linked to my 2meg ADSL connection
> ???
>
> Also how much is this likely to cost (UK £) thanks.....

Some isp's disconnect your connection if they see more than one computer
connected- check your terms out. If so hide them behind a hardware firewall.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:43:48 PM

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
news:D b8eia$8oa$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Advid" <advid@f2s.com> wrote in message
> news:D b8cou$g06$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> > ...I've got my main PC (WinXP home) and my old PC (win 98 SE) side by
> > side... My main PC is online ADSL 2meg.... my kids work on the older PC
> > for
> > school/homework etc but is not connected to the Internet.......
> >
> > How do I get the old PC connected to my new PC for Internet usage ???
> > (routers - I believe) ????
> >
> > Can someone please explain (components needed) what I need to do to each
> > PC
> > in order to get the old PC online and linked to my 2meg ADSL connection
> > ???
> >
> > Also how much is this likely to cost (UK £) thanks.....
> >

> Some isp's disconnect your connection if they see more than one computer
> connected- check your terms out. If so hide them behind a hardware
firewall.

Which takes us back to the router (such as a Linksys BEFSR41, SMC7004 etc).
Check out these links ...
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

Good info, but watch popups on next link
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/homenetworking/a/hom...

Go to http://www.linksys.com and check out their learning center. They
even have a cute flash tutorial on networking in the home.

mikey
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:46:09 AM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:43:47 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

>"Advid" <advid@f2s.com> wrote in message
>news:D b8cou$g06$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>> ...I've got my main PC (WinXP home) and my old PC (win 98 SE) side by
>> side... My main PC is online ADSL 2meg.... my kids work on the older PC
>> for
>> school/homework etc but is not connected to the Internet.......
>>
>> How do I get the old PC connected to my new PC for Internet usage ???
>> (routers - I believe) ????
>>
>> Can someone please explain (components needed) what I need to do to each
>> PC
>> in order to get the old PC online and linked to my 2meg ADSL connection
>> ???
>>
>> Also how much is this likely to cost (UK £) thanks.....
>>

>Some isp's disconnect your connection if they see more than one computer
>connected- check your terms out. If so hide them behind a hardware firewall.

I'm sure you meant a broadband router? Very few homes have hardware
firewalls in them, but many homes have broadband routers. Regardless
of what you may think, they are NOT the same thing. Very few home
broadband routers contain hardware firewalls.
!