Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with EV SonicXS 4.1 Speakers, need advice

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 4, 2008 1:46:04 AM

I bought a set of EV SonicXS 4.1 speakers. Micro Center had them on sale for $59. From the research I did, they were supposed to be pretty good speakers they were just overpriced and did not catch on in popularity.

When I bought the speakers they were working great except for three minor points. Point one, there is one knob that controls fading, I had to adjust the knob to give more sound to the rear speakers in order to balance the sound. Point two, there is a single knob that controls tone (left is bass, right is treble), I had to adjust the knob two notches to the left to get rid of the white noise (I think the pros call it pink noise, sounds like rushing water) coming from the speakers. Point three, I had to swap the left/right outputs coming out of the subwoofer going to the satellite speakers. Even though I had these difficulties, when I ran some speaker tests they sounded pretty good and I was planning on keeping them.

Now the current problems.

The white/pink noise has increased I now have to adjust the tone knob, three + notches to the left/bass side.

There is a cracking noise (four loud cracks) that sometimes comes from the speakers, when I get up from my desk or move about the room. I’ve tested my connections, they are tight and I’m not so heavy that I making them jiggle in the first place.

These speakers because they are discontinued only have a 90 day warranty, but I’m still under thirty so I can return them. Unless someone can point out what I might be doing wrong, returning them is what I am going to do.

Any feedback most appreciated. Thanks

Tom


P.S. The only thing I have been listening to, with the speakers, has been classical music from low to mid volume. The Subwoofer is plugged into a UPS, so I know that it is getting clean power.
April 7, 2008 7:55:18 PM

ExTechie said:
The white/pink noise has increased I now have to adjust the tone knob, three + notches to the left/bass side.
Note: All system must be POWERED DOWN (Turn Off) when unplging and pluging any connection and in some cases Power Cord should be unplug. EMI/RFI will be the result without such precaution.

Check the audio source. Use different input signals/terminals.
Quote:
There is a cracking noise (four loud cracks) that sometimes comes from the speakers, when I get up from my desk or move about the room. I’ve tested my connections, they are tight and I’m not so heavy that I making them jiggle in the first place.
1) Get an aluminum foil and unplug the power and input jack and try shorting the core and ground on the input jack using the aluminum foil to clear any static build-up from the wires.

2) Check the input cables and move them away from heaters and power lines. Move or separate high voltage line and low voltage line from each other.
Quote:
These speakers because they are discontinued only have a 90 day warranty, but I’m still under thirty so I can return them. Unless someone can point out what I might be doing wrong, returning them is what I am going to do.
Try connecting speakers to any portable player and wiggle the wire s while playing. If speakers’ plays without any symptoms mentioned then the source is your problem.
Quote:
P.S. The only thing I have been listening to, with the speakers, has been classical music from low to mid volume. The Subwoofer is plugged into a UPS, so I know that it is getting clean power.
Try not using the UPS for the speakers.
April 11, 2008 3:38:42 PM

I wish I would have seen your reply earlier, my fault. I swear I was checking every day, I must be blind. I returned the speakers on April 8, I was almost at the end of my thirty day window to return. Plus, their tech support never called me back.

I did try (on my own), moving the wires and cables. I also tried the speakers with out the UPS in the loop. I should have thought to try another source but I didn't. I wish I would have tried your item 1), shorting out the wires (that makes alot of sense to me).

I've already replaced the speakers with some Logitech x-540 speakers. The price was right and it comes with a two year warranty. But the EVSonics (when new) were definitely better, like the difference between a cheap boombox and a decent stereo. If I run across them again (at a lower price), I might give them another shot. What with my current experience and only a 90 warranty (when they don't return calls); it would have to be a much lower price. If I do stumble across them again, I might rewire them. The exterior wires seemed awfully small and flimsy to me. The wires on the X-540 are much more substantial.

Thanks for your reply, I'm sorry I didn't find it earlier, time to get my eyes checked.

Tom

PS. There is no white/pink noise coming from the Logitech speakers, unlike the EVSonics which had white/pink noise from the very beginning.
!