Sign in with
Your question

WmiPrvSE.exe running a bit high?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 17, 2012 5:07:06 PM

never had this thing consuming so much in the past few years. It came out of nowhere and just recently. restarted computer and that worked for about an hour and it started up again. about 60-70% on 1 core.
It also seems to be doing something funky with my temps or my fans cause when it starts up despite only doing that much on 1 core my H80 starts getting so loud i can hear it like no tomorrow.

Also, I've notice my cpu keeps throttling the cpu ratio a lot. This is getting kind of annoying it goes from 1600-4500 randomly more so when this thing is running. I turned of turbo boost as well in my bios so what else could be doing this?

Os is windows 7 home
a c 255 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 6:40:36 PM

When was the last time you ran a full malware and virus scan?
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:55:03 PM

here is a good explanation of the Windows Management Instrumentation...
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe....

This is usually only in Enterprise environments, are you sure you are telling the truth about your windows 7 being Home edition? As far as I know you cant add a Home edition PC to the domain....I'm not saying you are on a domain but why do you have WMI enabled anyway? Something is fishy here...
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 7:59:25 PM

i have no clue. i just re-insalled windows. This didn't happen until i installed something for stereo mixer. was called stereo mixer pro or something came up clean when i scanned it but that could've done something i guess.
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 8:06:41 PM

Really sounds like some sort of malware was installed when you installed the app. What malware scanner do you use? If not Malwarebytes, I would suggest you get it:

http://www.malwarebytes.org

m
l
September 17, 2012 8:10:50 PM

right now just got avast free on this computer.
m
l
September 17, 2012 8:45:53 PM

looks like a dodgy site there. my search brings stereo mix plus as a paid bit of software, not the one here. Antiviruses and antimalwares are the way to go i think.

If all else fails, how long is it since you reinstalled windows? If its not been too long you could always try that again. Last resort mind you.
m
l
September 17, 2012 8:51:18 PM

something_wild said:
looks like a dodgy site there. my search brings stereo mix plus as a paid bit of software, not the one here. Antiviruses and antimalwares are the way to go i think.

If all else fails, how long is it since you reinstalled windows? If its not been too long you could always try that again. Last resort mind you.

yeah i wasn't paying much attention was very tired when i d/l'd it and I ran malwarebytes nothing came up running avast now.
I reinstalled recent 2 days ago. only took 2 hours to do since i have service pack thing to install it quickly. So, if i must won't take long my computer is set up so my boot drive is very minimal.

kinda odd thinking that site shows up as the first one when i google for stereo mix plus.

would system restore point be useful option if avast fails?
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 10:10:17 PM

If it was before the install, then yes.
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:21:56 PM

okay, so my H80 is running like it was so I'm assuming i fixed something. I ran system restore the EXE was still running there and running high. I decided to try revo uninstalled and ever since it's been far quieter. The exe is still there but never goes above 2 cpu usage. Should i assume the infection is still alive just not function fully yet? I did a boot scan with avast and it found nothing After i did a full system scan.
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 10:57:58 PM

Did you do the full scan with MalwareBytes?
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:01:14 AM

yes full scan with both nothing came up. boot scan showed nothing either ._.

It seems every time I get an infection my av's don't notice it at all. it's really sad. I get them very rarely but i mean come I paid for AV's for a while and it was no better.
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 12:15:43 AM

Have you tried Microsoft security essentials?
m
l
September 18, 2012 1:11:28 PM

COLGeek said:
Have you tried Microsoft security essentials?

in the past yes. I've tried just about every single one. for this specific issue. I'll just redo windows in time to make it go away.
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 1:17:47 PM

Have you tried going into MSCONFIG and disabling wmiprvse.exe from there?
m
l
!