Logitech Z-5500 Fuse replacemnet

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The fuse in my logitech z-5500 has burned out. Went to turn it on this morning but i noticed that the power/stand-by button light was off, and when i pressed it there was nothing - anyway, it was the fuse (bad thunderstorm last night, although it's plugged into a good APC brand surge protector, and nothing else connected to that was damaged... All in all, on the sub itself, it specifies that the fuse is "T4AL-125V (4A - slow blow)" - and indeed that was the fuse that burned out. After running all over the city (Windsor, Canada), it became clear that all the 4A - slow blow fuses are rated 250V, not 125V. RadioShack does carry 4A at 125V but those are rated 4.0A 125V Fast-Acting Glass Fuse - Anyway, after researching this a bit it seems that the most important part is the 4A-slow blow, not the voltage. Can anyone give me some feedback on this? If it is ok to use a 4A-slow blow 250V fuse, can someone confirm that this is 100% safe? Thanks! :)

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Update: after researching it more, I decided to get two 4A-slow blow 250V fuses - tried 2 of them but both get blown almost right after I turn on the main switch on the subwoofer. I decided to order the exact same fuse (brand and all) which logitech originally used...will provide more info once i receive them and try them out. I hope it's nothing more serious than just the fuse issue...

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
the order arrived - fuses get blown right away. contacted logitech via email customer support - they have been phenomenal and right away stated that they will replace my product. I have to note how satisfied I am with logitech over this. Great customer service!

belac55

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Did you get a replacement fuze from Logitech or the whole Z-5500 system. I am having this same problem with mine.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Hey belac55, I got a brand new system, meaning, they mailed me (at their expense) an entirely new z-5500. When I ordered the specified fuse, I actually got it from some online shop, not from Logitech. Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!

ekoostick

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
I am having the same problem but am not quite enjoying Logitechs customer service as much as you. When it originally blew, I called and was put on hold until the CS rep could tell me to go on ebay to get replacement fuses. Super strange that they don't have access to the fuses for their units so I went on ebay and got a pack of 4a, 125v sloblo fuses. They all blew even after trying different plugs, power supplies etc. So I called back and spoke to a CS rep that spoke very broken english (good to see another company sending CS jobs overseas) and he told me that I could buy a new set at half off but otherwise was out of luck.

I am wondering if anyone has found a fix that doesn't involve Logitech sending you a free set of speakers.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Is your product still under warranty? If so, then they will replace it. As far as a fix, I researched it for hours before I decided to contact logitech, but as you can well imagine, the only solution was to get the specified fuses and try them. If they keep blowing, then there's something that's finished in the unit. I wasn't able to find any feedback which led me to believe that it's something that can be fixed easily, but I didn't take it very far. Given that mine was still under warranty, I contacted logitech. I did so via email, never by phone - i have found from experience that email keeps a written record plus it's less headache. Good luck, keep us posted.