What's a good video card for Dimension L733r?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtec95

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hello hello. I've been working on this old computer and have been trying to make it more productive. I boosted the RAM from 64mb to 512mb and it made an AMAZING difference.

Now I would like to get it loading videos faster if possible, the ram helped this too but I think it could still be faster. Rite now it's just using the stock Intel 82810E Graphics Controller.

So my question is...would installing an actual Video CARD increase my video performance? And if so could you recommend a NICE video card?... keeping in mind that I only have standard PCI slots.

Everything about this PC is STOCK except for the RAM upgrade and I put in a Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card (cheapy). Thanks for any help! :p

vtec95

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hi and thank you for the response. The op. sys. is Windows XP Profressional with SP3. It has the Pentium 3 810 processor 730MHz and 512mb/ram. Not sure what the "chipset" is so could you tell me how to find out what I'm working with in that department?

Thanks for anymore help on this.

al man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hi vtec95!

Chipset is basically, the "DNA" on your Motherboard. It determines what type of socket/processor, RAM, drives, etc. will support. Therefore, it can tell what the most appropiate upgrade for your pc should be.

CPU-Z (overclockers use it a lot! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU-Z) can might tell us what the chipset is: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

In the mean time I'll check online to find out something that can help.

vtec95

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

Cool thanks for the link. Looks like a decent card, I'll look into it more later.

How do you get into BIOS?

Would this card be my best bet for this PC? Or is there a more powerful card I could install that would be beneficial as well as safe.

Definitely not going for overkill, but want the BEST performance I can get from this old thing.

Just not ready to buy a new PC...

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.