defrag question

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"If" I decided to use System Mechanic to defrag my hard drive and "if"
down the road I uninstalled System Mechanic, would the built-in Windows'
tool for defragging have a problem? That is... do both programs defrag
in a similar manner or would one possibly screw things up for the other?
This question applies to other defragging programs (i.e. Symantec's).
Thanks.

They just defrag in their own unique way. Uninstalling System
Mechanic/Norton (my view leave Norton alone) should return you to the
Windows defrag utility. I use perfectdisk on my machine and have sometimes
forgotten while in computer management and run the Windows defrag utility.
Obviously the windows defrag utility rearranges the disk somewhat
differently, but it does no harm.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> They just defrag in their own unique way. Uninstalling System
> Mechanic/Norton (my view leave Norton alone) should return you to the
> Windows defrag utility. I use perfectdisk on my machine and have sometimes
> forgotten while in computer management and run the Windows defrag utility.
> Obviously the windows defrag utility rearranges the disk somewhat
> differently, but it does no harm.

Thanks, John.