Status
Not open for further replies.

trellonium

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Today in my basement I found a set of speakers from our old 2001 computer to use on my new computer. When I hook them up nothing comes out. My dad says it's because the speakers are digital and require a special driver to function. I've looked around and I am having trouble finding any form of digital driver for any sound card, let alone my on board sound card. So is there such a thing as digital speakers and/or a digital driver or are these speakers just dead?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
There are things called digital speakers, and have never left the lab since 1920. Unless you got some vestige from the roaring twenties, chances are you have analog speakers. All speakers use electric signals to produce sound.

If you are using your computer as a source, all you need is 1) output to an amplifier 2) an amplifier that works. 3) connect the amplifier to the speakers.

If you qualify for all 3 then your speakers are indeed dead.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Digital Speakers uses 0 and 1 to send the signal therefore uses different kind of (I guest I would call it) Processor and not regular amplifier, without it it's pretty much useless.

I found a set of speakers from our old 2001 computer ... My dad says it's because the speakers are digital and require a special driver to function.

There's a chance your speakers are analog. It would be helpful if you can shows us a picture of the connection the the make and model.

...then your speakers are indeed dead.
I'm with astrallite with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.