Guides as to when WWII AFVs/ weps became available?

From time-to-time there will arise a dispute as to when certain AFVs/ weapons
became available. For example: an argument over whether Valentine's ever
actually participated in the 1940 France campaign.

Is there a book (or books) or a set (or sets) of rules that would have this
period availability information available on weapons (i.e. ATGs, AT weapons,
Arty), aircraft and AFVs?

I realize that the likelihood of all being in the same volume is minimal so
recommendations for each category are quite acceptable.

Thanks,

Mike

I would use the computer game, Steel Panthers as a guide. Huge amounts of
info are in the database and a database editor is included with the game.

Good game too.

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

mparrott429@aol.comnospam (Mike Parrott) wrote in

> From time-to-time there will arise a dispute as to when
> certain AFVs/ weapons became available. For example: an
> argument over whether Valentine's ever actually participated
> in the 1940 France campaign.
>
> Is there a book (or books) or a set (or sets) of rules that
> would have this period availability information available on
> weapons (i.e. ATGs, AT weapons, Arty), aircraft and AFVs?
>
> I realize that the likelihood of all being in the same
> volume is minimal so recommendations for each category are
> quite acceptable.

I would suggest Leland Ness' "Jane's World War II Tanks and
Fighting Vehicles" as the best single volume to guide you on AFV
availability, as it contains annual production figures for most
types. For different marks and sub-types of a vehicle you may
have to go to the "Tanks in detail" series, Chamberlain, Doyle &
Jentz, or something like that.

For artillery equipment, Hogg's "British and American Artillery
of WW2" and the companiosn volume on German artillery or Gander &
Chamberlain's encyclopedia give some date information, but
coverage is by no means complete. Zaloga & Ness' "Red Army
Handbook" will give you a good idea on Soviet equipment.

To answer the specific question, Vallys certaintly never
participated in the france 1940 campaign. Zaloga's "Blitzkrieg:
Armour camouflage & markings 1939-1940" gives a lot of good orbat
information, including the BEF armour orbat as of 10 May 1940,
which is as follows:

7 armoured regts (4/7DG, 5DG, 13/18H, 15/19H, 1 Lothian, 1FFY and
ERY) each with 28 Mk VI light tanks and 44 carriers.

1 armoured car regt (12L) with 38 Morris a/cs.

4th Northumberland Fusiliers with 12 Daimler Dingos.

4th Bn RTR with 5 Mk VI light tanks, 50 Matilda Is and 8
carriers.

7th Bn RTR with 7 Mk VI light tanks, 27 Matilda Is, 23 Matilda
IIs and 8 carriers.

1st Armoured Div with 134 Mk VI light tanks, 150 cruisers (Mk 1
to 4), 15 carriers and 30 Daimler Dingos.

No. 3 Air Mission Phantom, with 6 Guy "wheeled tanks".

Hope that helps.

All the best,

John.

"Justin Taylor" <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> I would use the computer game, Steel Panthers as a guide. Huge amounts of
> info are in the database and a database editor is included with the game.
>
> Good game too.
>
> --
> Justin Taylor
The army lists for many rules have this info. TableTop Games WWII army
organisations and equipment lists are a very good reference, and only cost
£5.50. Black Tree Design have them;

http://www.black-tree-design.com/picturepage2.php?rangenum=9&code=TTG04&ctry=uk&lng=gb#ttg04

Malc

Malc

Well I was really impressed by Steel Panther info. Armour for front, rear,
side and angle of slope, for both hull and turret!

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

In message <20040514081702.22585.00001403@mb-m16.aol.com>, Mike Parrott
<mparrott429@aol.comnospam> writes
>From time-to-time there will arise a dispute as to when certain AFVs/ weapons
>became available. For example: an argument over whether Valentine's ever
>actually participated in the 1940 France campaign.
>
>Is there a book (or books) or a set (or sets) of rules that would have this
>period availability information available on weapons (i.e. ATGs, AT weapons,
>Arty), aircraft and AFVs?
>
>I realize that the likelihood of all being in the same volume is minimal so
>recommendations for each category are quite acceptable.

Oddly enough I have just finished another post about the Panzer Marsch!
Rules in which I mentioned their army list sheets, which are the first
place I go to look for answers like this. Hardly an academic source, but
they have obviously done their research and I haven't caught them in any
major error. Lots of information in a compact form, and including the
minor nations as well as the usual suspects.
--
John Secker

> Well I was really impressed by Steel Panther info. Armour for front, rear,
> side and angle of slope, for both hull and turret!
>
> --
> Justin Taylor
> justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

Slope as well as thickness! That is detailed. I haven't got Steel Panthers
so can't comment, but they do sound good. I'll have to have a hunt around.
How does it play as a game?

Malc

"Malcolm McDowall" <malcolm.mcdowall@lineone.net> wrote in message

> "Justin Taylor" <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
message
> > Well I was really impressed by Steel Panther info. Armour for front,
rear,
> > side and angle of slope, for both hull and turret!
> >
> > --
> > Justin Taylor
> > justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk
> >
> Slope as well as thickness! That is detailed. I haven't got Steel
Panthers
> so can't comment, but they do sound good. I'll have to have a hunt
around.
> How does it play as a game?
>
> Malc

It's a free download, although rather large.
http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/main.asp

Top down hex based alternate turns with interrupts.

--
Regards,
Andy O'Neill

Its Ok as a game system. The old, I move, you move type of thing but does
have overwatch fire. Lots of different versions available, WW2, Vietnam

For a rooting tooting WW2 computer game in real time, try Blitzkrieg. Hours
of fun of all the family and an improved version will be out soon.

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk