Sign in with
Your question

Free acer laptop advice

Last response: in Windows 7
September 17, 2012 6:20:10 PM

My Grandma has a 2 year old Acer laptop. Recently she has been having trouble accessing the internet and opening icons she has saved on her desk top. I have exhausted my limited computer knowledge and I am unsure what to do next. Her desktop icons keep flashing and you can't click on them, because they disappear too fast. I have run a deep clean and I ran malwarebytes. I have restored to last known good start-up. I have un-installed all unnecessary programs. Most recently, I restored to factory defaults. It still didn't fix the problem. Please help!

More about : free acer laptop advice

September 17, 2012 6:25:48 PM

Could you elaborate more on the flashing icons? How does it flash?

It might direct me into the right direction...
m
l
a c 224 D Laptop
a c 372 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2012 7:32:30 PM

Could be a mouse issue, keyboard or something with the trackpad. If you did a factory restore and this continues should not be a virus.

Try disabling the trackpad in the BIOS (there should be an option there for that) and use a regular mouse, does that work? Also try an external keyboard.
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 9:50:24 PM

blakwidowrsa said:
Could you elaborate more on the flashing icons? How does it flash?

It might direct me into the right direction...

all of the icons are flashing rapidly. I am not sure how to explain it. The icons are there for a moment and go away, and then they come back. It happens repetedly. I can use the icons on the task bar, those work ok.
m
l
September 17, 2012 9:53:08 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Could be a mouse issue, keyboard or something with the trackpad. If you did a factory restore and this continues should not be a virus.

Try disabling the trackpad in the BIOS (there should be an option there for that) and use a regular mouse, does that work? Also try an external keyboard.

I am using a regular mouse and I have checked the settings for it. I have not tried an external keyboard. I am not familiar enough with comuters to try to mess with the BIOS.
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:32:55 AM

OK fast on and off flashing might be gfx drivers.

I would suggest checking what drivers are installed and see if an update is available.
OR
Use the Standard Graphics Adapter driver from windows(if it is not already installed)

Go Start, right click Computer and click Manage.
In the Left pane click Device Manager and look for Display Adapters on the right. Click the small triangle next to it and see what is listed as your graphics card. Double click this name and go to the Driver tab.
Click Update Driver (make sure you are somehow connected to the internet)

If windows update don't find a driver, go the the laptops manufactures website and look for drivers there.

m
l
!