Sign in with
Your question

Laptop wont boot windows

Last response: in Windows 7
September 17, 2012 6:24:32 PM

Hello, hopefully this is in the right area. I am having an issue with my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I did an update and pressed the “restart now” to let the changes take effect, when it restarted it got to the “starting windows” screen but it stopped there for a while then flashed a blue screen quickly. Then it restarted itself and goes to a menu that says “windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause…” I have two options “ Launch Startup repair (recommended)” or “start windows normally”. When I choose the Launch startup repair it says “windows is loading files” and then it shows a black screen with a mouse cursor, I can move the cursor but nothing loads. Any ideas how I can fix this?
September 17, 2012 6:29:36 PM

Might be a driver related problem.

If windows said a recent hardware change and you did NOT add/remove anythingm it is possible windows update installed missing drivers.

Can you check in the bios how much video memory is allocated to the onboard graphics?

Should be somewhere in the bios menu's
What make and model is it?
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:47:00 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5061, I'm not sure how to get into the bios.
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:19:11 AM

Reboot and hit either DEL, or F1, or F11 repeatedly during the bootup process. One of those should get you into the BIOS.
m
l
!