Minireview: Troy

I went to see Troy this afternoon. Pretty good, I must say. I always
liked the big-scale Cecil B. DeMille type epic movies from the 1950's
and 60's, especially the tales from ancient history and mythology, and
the story of the Trojan Horse was always one of my very favourites from
all of literature.

The acting averages out to average. Brad Pitt is in it, but so is Peter
O'Toole, so they pretty much cancel each other out. Dialogue is
predictable but acceptable, the rest of the writing is pretty good.
Cinematography, lighting, sound, direction, and editing is all pretty
good. Special effects are well done, particularly the ships; none of it
looked too CGI-ish. Oh yeah, I think there were some battle scenes in
there too.

They did manage to stick pretty close to the original storyline, except
for the ending which was Hollywood-ized. There were some divergences from
Homer's original: there were no car chases at all, for instance, and the
part where Achilles dresses Hector up in a clown suit and forces him to
perform Broadway show tunes was a little weird. (That might just be a
problem with the English translation I'm working from.) The war was
supposed to cover ten years, but in the movie they wrapped everything up in
135 minutes. The combat scenes looked reasonably believable for the period:
no Matrix-style bullet dodging or flying-through-the-air trapeze stuff. I
particularly liked the combat scenes with Achilles, Ajax, and Exeter.

One minor quibble: Helen was supposed to have "the face that launched a
thousand ships". She was okay in this movie, I mean I wouldn't kick her
out of bed for painting 15mm miniatures, but I certainly wouldn't rate
her at a thousand ships. Maybe six catamarans, or a handful of biremes.
Okay, a pair of triremes at the most. For my tastes, Briseis is much
more of a hottie, even though she doesn't have any lines in Homer's
original. I would also accept any two of the Generic Dancing Babes(tm).

On last thing: if you ever find yourself standing in one of those
ancient temples, don't stand next to those huge statues of the gods. You
just know they're going to come toppling down at some point.

DLF

--
David Ferris
www.irvania.com

Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
-- John Milton, Paradise Lost

David Ferris <spemtrep@irvania.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94EA3000D2DCslargebucketirvaniac@199.224.117.11>...
> I went to see Troy this afternoon. Pretty good, I must say. I always
> liked the big-scale Cecil B. DeMille type epic movies from the 1950's
> and 60's, especially the tales from ancient history and mythology, and
> the story of the Trojan Horse was always one of my very favourites from
> all of literature.
>
> The acting averages out to average. Brad Pitt is in it, but so is Peter
> O'Toole, so they pretty much cancel each other out. Dialogue is
> predictable but acceptable, the rest of the writing is pretty good.
> Cinematography, lighting, sound, direction, and editing is all pretty
> good. Special effects are well done, particularly the ships; none of it
> looked too CGI-ish. Oh yeah, I think there were some battle scenes in
> there too.
>
> They did manage to stick pretty close to the original storyline, except
> for the ending which was Hollywood-ized. There were some divergences from
> Homer's original: there were no car chases at all, for instance, and the
> part where Achilles dresses Hector up in a clown suit and forces him to
> perform Broadway show tunes was a little weird. (That might just be a
> problem with the English translation I'm working from.) The war was
> supposed to cover ten years, but in the movie they wrapped everything up in
> 135 minutes. The combat scenes looked reasonably believable for the period:
> no Matrix-style bullet dodging or flying-through-the-air trapeze stuff. I
> particularly liked the combat scenes with Achilles, Ajax, and Exeter.
>
> One minor quibble: Helen was supposed to have "the face that launched a
> thousand ships". She was okay in this movie, I mean I wouldn't kick her
> out of bed for painting 15mm miniatures, but I certainly wouldn't rate
> her at a thousand ships. Maybe six catamarans, or a handful of biremes.
> Okay, a pair of triremes at the most. For my tastes, Briseis is much
> more of a hottie, even though she doesn't have any lines in Homer's
> original. I would also accept any two of the Generic Dancing Babes(tm).
>
> On last thing: if you ever find yourself standing in one of those
> ancient temples, don't stand next to those huge statues of the gods. You
> just know they're going to come toppling down at some point.
>
> DLF

BJ: I still can't accept that the Spartans could beat the Trojans,
especially with all that horse play! Most of their team was Greek
(Kappa Sig, I think) but playing an away game and with their best back
out with a migraine until the very last quarter, just doesn't make it
believable they'd pull out the victory. Priam was the better coach,
and that Hector kid could play (too bad he had to be taken out after
being speared-and no penalty called!) and the Trojan front wall was
the best.

Maybe the vistors were hyped by that Trojan rookie, Paris, causing a
wardrobe malfunction when he grabbed their prettiest cheerleader.

I must admit that that final misdirection play fooled everybody. I
don't want to sound like too much of a homer, but the refs did seem
biased, and the riot after the final score almost guaranteed it'll be
a long time until there's a rematch. I'll bet Hector's son will be
full grown before they play again.

I guess the game proves that on any given decade...

BJ

Well the reviews I have read in the newspapers have been universally bad. I
think the most damning comment was that only about 5 minutes of Troy was
watchable. Reasons; confused battle scenes, wooden acting and lousy
dialogue. I don't mind watching an ahistorical film - I am a big Star Trek
fan - but a bad one, no.

Might pick it up on DVD.

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

"David Ferris" <spemtrep@irvania.com> wrote in message
> I went to see Troy this afternoon. Pretty good, I must say.
- snip
I particularly liked the combat scenes with Achilles, Ajax, and Exeter.
- snip

"Exeter"?! You mean there was some carrot crunching Devonian in ancient
Troy!

"'ere be Helen, m'lover, m'bird, me handsome. Now that Achilles, where's he
to?".

Malc

Bob Jones writes:

> BJ: I still can't accept that the Spartans could beat the Trojans,
> especially with all that horse play! Most of their team was Greek
> (Kappa Sig, I think) but playing an away game and with their best back
> out with a migraine until the very last quarter, just doesn't make it
> believable they'd pull out the victory. Priam was the better coach,
> and that Hector kid could play (too bad he had to be taken out after
> being speared-and no penalty called!) and the Trojan front wall was
> the best.

No, I think the key to the whole story boils down to the characters. Take
King Priam and his two sons, Hector and Paris Hilton, for instance. Priam
is portrayed as a goodly old king who is wise and gentle, as opposed to
Agamemnon who is portrayed as a brute (et tu?) Hector is thoughtful and
introspective, displays loyalty and mercy, while still being a great
warrior; contrast this with Achilles, who is too distracted with his
merchandising deals on the side. Paris Hilton is shown as selfish and weak
and cowardly, whereas Ajax just likes to smash things.

> I must admit that that final misdirection play fooled everybody. I
> don't want to sound like too much of a homer, but the refs did seem
> biased, and the riot after the final score almost guaranteed it'll be
> a long time until there's a rematch.

The only thing that really bugged me about the movie was that they didn't
show what happened afterward: Agamemnon went back home and got downsized by
his wife Clytemnestra. Their daughter Electra later dated Sophocles and
Euripides, and their son Orestes got a job with organized crime. Aeneas and
Odyseus went on to star in their own series. Achilles, apparently not
slowed down by being dead, continued to chase skirts for some time after.

Plus, they left out Cassandra entirely. Cassandra told me all about why
they did that in the movie, but I wasn't really listening to her.

DLF

--

David Ferris <spemtrep@irvania.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94EA9B2F8E308slargebucketirvaniac@199.224.117.11>...
> Bob Jones writes:
>

> Plus, they left out Cassandra entirely. Cassandra told me all about why
> they did that in the movie, but I wasn't really listening to her.
>
> DLF

BJ: No one ever listens to Cassandras, which is why so many wars end
up not delivering the peace and security promised, and often result in
some unforseen and unhappy consequences. It's a good thing things are
different now and we know the Gods' will so much more clearly than
those foolish Greeks.

It should be noted that archeologists have discovered several large
chariots with carvings on the back stating "United we stand" , "They
will pry my spear from my cold dead hands" , and "Re-Obey Agamemnon!"

Leaving out the gods in the movie was necessary given the modern
audience's complete ignorance of the Illiad. Also, hubris is not a
big box-office item these days.

BTW my original note above was actually excerpted from the Michigan
State and USC Official Football guides.

BJ

In message <Xns94EA9B2F8E308slargebucketirvaniac@199.224.117.11>, David
Ferris <spemtrep@irvania.com> writes
>Plus, they left out Cassandra entirely. Cassandra told me all about why
>they did that in the movie, but I wasn't really listening to her.

More to the point, they left the gods out entirely. Slight change to the
original.
--
John Secker

>More to the point, they left the gods out entirely. Slight change to the
>original.

They saved that for the sequel. Moses draws a sword, raises it to the sky and
says "There can be only one."
Gary Leitzell

Check out my web page at
www.members.aol.com/_ht_a/wgnetwork/minipage.index.html

"Malcolm McDowall" <malcolm.mcdowall@lineone.net> wrote in message

> "David Ferris" <spemtrep@irvania.com> wrote in message
> > I went to see Troy this afternoon. Pretty good, I must say.
> - snip
> I particularly liked the combat scenes with Achilles, Ajax, and Exeter.
> - snip
>
> "Exeter"?! You mean there was some carrot crunching Devonian in ancient

I suspect he was getting mixed up with the Battle of the River Plate. Not
sure the Graf Spee featured in the original Iliad, although who knows what
all those hundreds of trimeremes were actually called;-)

Cheers
Martin

Great review, I am going to see it today and this helped put me in the mood.
RJS

ddetmer89@aol.com (DDetmer89) wrote in message news:<20040518110723.28864.00001642@mb-m05.aol.com>...
> Great review, I am going to see it today and this helped put me in the mood.
> RJS

BJ: I just got back from seeing Troy and rather liked it. You must
throw out everything you know about the Iliad, and accept it as an
Epic of Troy with only peripheral relationship to Homer's work. The
deaths of Menalaus and Aggie are a bit too cinematic and not found in
the source poem. It is the shortest 10 years ever! Achilles gets a
girlfriend and his lover is demoted to a cousin ( no-alternative
lifestyles in this epic!) The gods are relegated to entities of
little consequence and mostly feared by superstitious old fools. Who
would have guessed that there were bronze age post-modernists?
(Post-Minoans?)

But, taken simply on what it is, it is an enjoyable and well produced
action film-with, thankfully, few overly obvious, and awesome
exploding special effects. Worth a matinee ticket!

BJ