Recovery console without limitations?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Is there any "unofficial" modification that removes the idiocy of
limited directory access in XP recovery console (i.e. no access to
anything but the winbootdir, the root dir and removable media)? I
realize certain twats at MS always think they know better what the user
should do than the user himself does, but they do not and never did.

frodo

Henry <spam@spam.spam> wrote:
> Is there any "unofficial" modification that removes the idiocy of
> limited directory access in XP recovery console (i.e. no access to
> anything but the winbootdir, the root dir and removable media)? I
> realize certain twats at MS always think they know better what the user
> should do than the user himself does, but they do not and never did.

rude rude rude grin grin grin

yes, there are several reg settings that can "unlock" the recovery
console. Google for 'em, they're not a big secret.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:14:45 -0700, Henry <spam@spam.spam> wrote:

>Is there any "unofficial" modification that removes the idiocy of
>limited directory access in XP recovery console (i.e. no access to
>anything but the winbootdir, the root dir and removable media)? I
>realize certain twats at MS always think they know better what the user
>should do than the user himself does, but they do not and never did.

There's a standalone bootable CD called BartPE. The creator program
puts the image together via your bootable XP CD + whatever drivers you
want to add. It's got a communal programming effort behind it, so it
should end up being very functional. But right now I believe it can
do what you want.