Which basic Dell system to buy?

jrhyno

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hi, new to the site.

It looks like the emphasis on this site is much more on high and higher performance, but if someone can help me out, that would be great.

I'm looking for 2 systems, desktop and laptop.

All I anticipate doing with either system is web-browsing and some light game playing, really just basic computer use (which might change, of course).

Is the Dell Vostro line worth looking into? The prices seem incredible, for the desktop ~ $400 including a 19 inch monitor, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7300 (2.66GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB), and 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs.

Does this sound like a great deal?

The laptop will run between $5-600, also with the core 2 duo processor.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,

Jeff

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
that vosto package is what i pretty much recommend to everybody who is not a builder. if you dont' want to build your own system, thats definately a great way to go... you just can't beat the price for that system.

i still have a problem w\ dells "upgrade pricing" when you're customizing a build but price for the package is good.

example.. alot of the systems start w\ an e2200 CPU which retails around $60. then to "upgrade" to a e7200 it is $125, even though thats how much the cpu retails for or less... or e8400 = +$190 when it retails for 165... so you start with a $60 cpu and then pay $190 more for them to replace the $60 cpu w\ a $165 cpu, and you pay $35+ more than that better cpu actually costs.

its "replacement" an upgrade would entail the price dropping accordingly for upgrading.

eschems

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
wow, where did you find that deal!!! I am looking for a budget desktop as well (posted a question) but that dell sounds like a good deal.